I missed the ship last week! Allure, at first port... what to expect...

klfhngr

As soon as I started reading this thread, my heart starting pounding remembering all too well when my son almost missed the ship in Cozumel. Yes, you guessed it..another Carlos and Charley victim. 😡

He confessed after the cruise was over that he jumped in a cab with other cruisers praying they would make it back to the ship in time.

To the OP: please come back and continue the story. It's a valuable lesson for all cruisers and a wake up call that everyone in your party needs to stay together when in port.

Off topic, and not to hijack the thread, but I've read several reports of Atlantis being less than welcoming to non-resort guests. We have two cruises to Nassau in the next few months, and we've ruled out visiting Atlantis due to limited hours and negative reports about the overall experience.

Having stayed there and spent a lot of money I can understand them being less helpful to day guests. We spent 5 nights there in 2009 and the place at times was overrun with tourists which took away from our experience. I was glad they limit the number of day guests as the pool area is crowded enough.

I think everyone needs to allow everyone to have an opinion. And to think that those are more empathetic are better people, that's just completely wrong. Someone who believes everything they read is not a better person who doesn't and vice versa. Some are taking comments way too personally.

I think OP is currently reading this thread and loving every minute of it. Anyone who is that dramatic in their writing loves the chaos and drama they create. It's a very dramatic and engaging read, but that doesn't have to mean that every single word is completely 100% true and correct. This is just his perception of what happened.

What I would really love is that others who have actually missed a ship and had to rejoin it later would come on and post their experiences also so we have a balanced variety of experiences.

Edited by BND

What I would really love is that others who have actually missed a ship and had to rejoin it later would come on and post their experiences also so we have a balanced variety of experiences.

Good point. It would be interesting to hear other stories from anyone who missed the ship. Like all of you, it's a "thing of nightmares." I haven't really come close, but on my first cruise i rented a car in St. Thomas and after touring the island, then doing some shopping, our kids went back to the ship early. As we were getting ready to head back my wife was missing a package with some jewelry we bought. We tore back to where we thought we left it with no luck. Finally had to head back. Turned out the kids had taken back with them. But as I was returning the car to the rental agency school let out and we hit a logjam. Made it to the ship about 45 min. before sailaway, but as a first time cruiser it had me really worried. And that was before the computerized SeaPasses so no guarantee that they'd know I wasn't onboard.

One other quick comment. I walked by myself up to the water tower in Nassau one day. I travel frequently so I'm used to walking around by myself. And even though it was middle of the day and there were a few other tourists around, I was still a bit "on edge" walking in areas unknown to me and alone. So it isn't much of a stretch to imagine the OP, considering his state of mind, being a bit "concerned."

Let me say a few things

1) I'd never get back on a ship without my kids, wife, grandma, whoever. Screw the ship, we're family, we came together, we leave together. But I'm always back on the ship much earlier.

2) I've heard the meeting time story part repeatedly and get it, but the rest has me perplexed.

I don't know who this Alfred guy is, but talk about some bad information.

The major airlines fly out of Nassau daily, multiple times a day. What's he mean, "try" to get a flight???

Now, it will usually take you an overnight to get there, which may be too late depending on how long it takes the ship to get there... so you might have to meet in Cozumel. But I would think the ship couldn't leave Nassau and get to Falmouth in 1 day.

The US Embassy is actually walking distance from the pier... no crazy van rides needed. it's a few blocks behind Señor Frogs.

Did he work for RCI? Was he the port agent? You would think he'd have a better plan than yelling at some lady, his job is to handle this. The way you describe this is so hap hazard. it's not the RCI I know.

I don't know why he brought you to such a dinky hotel. There's a very nice Hilton right near the pier, not to mention the Atlantis, and a really nice hotel across from the Embassy too.

I wouldn't listen to Alfred and stay in an unsafe place that I had to pay for. I'd be like I'm staying at the Hilton and catching a cab to the Embassy to get my passport and then the airport, thanks and goodbye dude!

Not sure what other advice anyone needs.

Call the hotel, get a room. Make your calls, ask RCI what to do when you arrive in Falmouth and to give you a local contact. Sleep. Go to the Embassy in the morning, Get your passport. Go to the airport, fork over the fortune, get on a plane, fly to their hub and then on to ship wherever you can catch it.

Once there, re-register and try to enjoy the last day or so.

Not being mean, but i just don't understand.

This definitely not intended as criticism of anyone, but its likely a lot easier to sit back and come up with a better plan to deal with the situation when one is not actually in the heat of the actual situation. It must have been horribly scary and the OP thought the port agent was the one person who could help.

However, I do also wonder why a RCCL port agent would bring someone to such a nasty motel in a bad part of Nassau. US State does have a warning posted for Nassau.

I also feel the cruise line should better select and train the port agents to assist people. It sounded like the port agent was trying to be helpful, but was just making it up as he went along because the cruise line did not have proper procedures in place. I don't accept the attitude that the passenger deserves what they get if they dare get off the ship without booking an "extortion' from the cruise ship. The cruise line should put better thought in dealing with people missing the ship. It can and does happen for a variety of reasons.

Anyway, really appreciate the OP for posting this experience. It is helping me to sketch out a plan for each port should something like this happen. I am not, however, going to be paranoid and not leave the ship to explore either independently or with a non-cruise line tour.

Regardless of the veracity of the story, the lessons here are valuable ones, even for somewhat seasoned cruisers/tourists like us with no children:

1. None of us should ever be leaving the ship in a port without the port information provided by the cruiseline in the dailies.

2. Be sure that everyone knows the return and sail times as noted from the dailies.

-->>These first two would indicate that the page(s) from the dailies should be taken/kept by somebody in the group.

3. If in a group doing different things, set the guidelines for meeting up, which no one should alter without consultation. (OR conversely: Don't break up your group.)

Personally, we only take tours which will end early, to avoid later arrival at the ship. Mostly they have been ship's tours. Except in Acapolco and the Baltic. In both cases, we were in vans with no more than 10 other cruisers; and the drivers were well aware of the need to get us back, even taking us off the beaten path routes to do so, on time.

There is another post these days which is still current (about "smuggling" on board...) in which the author notes that he was slightly verbally accosted on the street in Nassau, so apparently it is not as "friendly" to whites/tourists as one is led to believe. The last time that happened to us, we were in Ocho Rios, Jamaica, but that was many years ago but it still wasn't pleasant when you really are not used to that sort of thing....

So, OP, keep on truckin'! :)

As I noted before on this thread, I am still wondering about the 'friend' who had all the (wrong) answers as to time frames and apparently caused all this consternation. I would have been so freakin' angry.....

Bill

Edited by spearmint

Good point. It would be interesting to hear other stories from anyone who missed the ship. Like all of you, it's a "thing of nightmares." I haven't really come close, but on my first cruise i rented a car in St. Thomas and after touring the island, then doing some shopping, our kids went back to the ship early. As we were getting ready to head back my wife was missing a package with some jewelry we bought. We tore back to where we thought we left it with no luck. Finally had to head back. Turned out the kids had taken back with them. But as I was returning the car to the rental agency school let out and we hit a logjam. Made it to the ship about 45 min. before sailaway, but as a first time cruiser it had me really worried. And that was before the computerized SeaPasses so no guarantee that they'd know I wasn't onboard.

One other quick comment. I walked by myself up to the water tower in Nassau one day. I travel frequently so I'm used to walking around by myself. And even though it was middle of the day and there were a few other tourists around, I was still a bit "on edge" walking in areas unknown to me and alone. So it isn't much of a stretch to imagine the OP, considering his state of mind, being a bit "concerned."

I would also like to hear from other posters that have missed the ship.

As far as bashing the OP that he was concerned for his safety in Nassau, keep in mind that he was alone, totally stressed out and wondering how is family was coping. Give this man a break, he was running on pure adrenaline.

I also agree with one poster that " Alfred" brought him to a hotel that would benefit either him or a friend.

Easy to say from your comfortable chair that the OP could book himself into the Hilton.

He was out of his mind with worry.

It happened to us in Barbados years ago on our cruise. I did extensive research prior to our cruise and knew exactly what beach I wanted to visit. The cab driver took it upon himself to take us to a beach that he thought we would prefer. I told him to wait and let me scope out the place. The beach was completely deserted with the exception of the staff at the bar. I felt so uneasy that I returned to the cab and asked him to take me to the beach I had requested.

There is no doubt in my mind that he would have gotten a kick back by dropping us off at that beach.

It ruined our day in Barbados.

Fortunately we did return on another cruise and and had an amazing time.

• Like 1

I don't think that the Port Authority is an RCCL employee. Aren't they employed by the port itself?

I just hope the OP comes back and finishes his story before my cruise next Saturday. I might not be able to enjoy it, if I don't know the outcome of his story......:p;)

Gwen :)

Can we please stop flaming Klfhngr?!?! Yes, everyone is entitled to their opinions, but this man and his family have gone through a tough time? How would you feel if this happened to you? I would bet about the same. All alone in a city/country you don't know. Not knowing how you were going to get home or what to do next. Why can't we just follow the story and possibly learn something here. That's the whole reason Klfhngr is posting his story so we can all learn and make sure we plan with our families and/groups so nobody else misses the ship.

I was on the ship last week with Klfhngr. No I don't know him, but from our roll call I know how much he and his family were looking forward to this trip. It was a bad experience for them, can we please just give the flaming a rest.

Klfhngr, please don't let the haters stop you from finishing your story. We all want to know what happened.

Amen.

Another thing I learned from this is that if I ever miss the ship and am stranded I will not share the experience on CC. I mean all these people roasting the victim who is trying to help others. Just too many loonies out there.

I don't think that the Port Authority is an RCCL employee. Aren't they employed by the port itself?

I just hope the OP comes back and finishes his story before my cruise next Saturday. I might not be able to enjoy it, if I don't know the outcome of his story......:p;)

Gwen :)

Yes, the port agent works for the port, not RCI, but the agent is the one you are supposed to contact with problems getting back to the ship. I carry the compass page with the port agent's phone name and number ashore everytime. We've never even come close to missing a ship. We book early excursions and always through RCI, if we do any at all. When we go off on our own (shopping, restaurants, etc) we always get back on board at least an hour before we're supposed to. But, even being close to the port doesn't matter if you're one of the ones that have missed due to drinking too much. Cozumel is the perfect port for this and there are awlays runners. There are also several videos on youtube of people missing and almost missing the ship in Nassau. We've seen someone barely make it in Nassau before. Usually it's one or two people, rarely a larger group.

As for the outcome, he already said he made it to the ship, but left out a lot of details with each section he did tell saying he'd get to that later which is why some are losing patience with his stretching this tale out. We don't need every tiny little detail.

So, far he hasn't told us anything that's really helpful for those that find themselves in the same position. Other posters, however, have filled in vital info about the embassy/consulate, hotels, etc.

Edited by BND

I would also like to hear from other posters that have missed the ship.

As far as bashing the OP that he was concerned for his safety in Nassau, keep in mind that he was alone, totally stressed out and wondering how is family was coping. Give this man a break, he was running on pure adrenaline.

I also agree with one poster that " Alfred" brought him to a hotel that would benefit either him or a friend.

Easy to say from your comfortable chair that the OP could book himself into the Hilton.

He was out of his mind with worry.

It happened to us in Barbados years ago on our cruise. I did extensive research prior to our cruise and knew exactly what beach I wanted to visit. The cab driver took it upon himself to take us to a beach that he thought we would prefer. I told him to wait and let me scope out the place. The beach was completely deserted with the exception of the staff at the bar. I felt so uneasy that I returned to the cab and asked him to take me to the beach I had requested.

There is no doubt in my mind that he would have gotten a kick back by dropping us off at that beach.

It ruined our day in Barbados.

Fortunately we did return on another cruise and and had an amazing time.

Luckily we have never missed the boat on a cruise but we did miss the last Eurostar train of the day from Paris to London. We were visiting London with our three kids and decided to go to Paris for the day. Booked the first train out and the last one back. Here's a few things we learned from this;

1. Even kids love Paris,

2. Promise a Paris cabbie a good tip and he will do everything, short of running down pedestrians, to get you to the train on time - even going the wrong way on a one way street :eek:

3. When the French say get to the station at least 45 minutes before the departure time GET there!. Not 44 minutes and 30 seconds before - 45 minutes!

4. Orange soda (Orengina?) is Way more expensive than beer or wine in Paris.:eek:

5. Paying for places in Paris and London for the same night is REALLY expensive:o

Can we please stop flaming Klfhngr?!?! Yes, everyone is entitled to their opinions, but this man and his family have gone through a tough time? How would you feel if this happened to you? I would bet about the same. All alone in a city/country you don't know. Not knowing how you were going to get home or what to do next. Why can't we just follow the story and possibly learn something here. That's the whole reason Klfhngr is posting his story so we can all learn and make sure we plan with our families and/groups so nobody else misses the ship.

I was on the ship last week with Klfhngr. No I don't know him, but from our roll call I know how much he and his family were looking forward to this trip. It was a bad experience for them, can we please just give the flaming a rest.

Klfhngr, please don't let the haters stop you from finishing your story. We all want to know what happened.

Agree, well said. Thanks

First off, let me say this....

In my years on here, I have never criticized anyone or posted on controversial threads, or anything like that.

It's just not my style.

yes, I have my own opinions on this but I keep them to myself.

My post was about Alfred. I said I felt he was giving bad information. I travel a lot, an awful lot, and so I'm uber familiar with airlines. I have an airline timetable app on my phone. In 30 seconds I can type in two cities and all flights between them pop up.

I knew two of the airlines I frequent, fly to/from daily. I thought it was odd that Alfred said "if there was a flight where he was going". Seat availability is one thing, but flights, there are LOTS OF THEM.

My point was, the Alfred thing bothered me.

I would have stayed right there, just like OP. No leaving any of my family.

It's just that Alfred's advice, whoever he is, Port Agent? RCI? whatever was bad.

It wasn't critical of the OP.

Just from visiting Nassau briefly, I know there were other options.

I understand understand after the ship was gone why there was such a rush.... jump in a van... drive by a circle, check into a flea bag motel.

I would stop, stay at the port, talk to RCI, call my congressman/US Embassy. The ships gone. Stop, breathe, and plan.

This isn't critical of OP

but of "Alfred"

If this is his job, he sure isn't doing it well, if things are as OP detailed.

That's my only point.

There are daily flights, the embassy is right there, and so are many nice hotels with phone service.

That's all.

Just facts.... not attacks.

Promise!

Edited by RCCL Fan

Very good question.

Already answered. OP did not have a current passport. He did have his wallet and bc and he went to the embassy. He probably got a same day passport issued, but we still don't know because he hasn't gotten past the first couple of hours of his "ordeal".

Sorry to hear that. We've watched from the deck as fellow passengers race for the departing ship and wondered what would happen to them, especially when they were bathing suits and obviously had nothing with them for travel. Looking forward the rest of your story.

Outside of the odd comments, it's interesting to hear the calm natural thinking reactions. As if you would be calm and rational in the same situation.

I'd like to think I would be calm and rational, but thinking about it much, you may recall that I could be shaking with fear. And the OP seems like a calm and rational person, wanting to have fun with his family and friends on a cruise. Yet he admitted exactly what I fear I would do, too- shaking with fear.

I've run around Nassau a lot- that's what we do. I've never felt nervous or afraid when we run. But I can easily see that mood changing when something dramatic like this happens. I'd REALLY have to work at not being intimidated by the locals, since I would know almost nothing. I certainly know that there are small hotels in the local neighborhoods around downtown, with some pretty nice restaurants. Still- being in a state where I'm that disoriented and afraid- I can also seem myself not being in a state where I know where to go.

We've run by the McD's he's talking about, been by the embassy.

Once again, I can NOT say that I would know where they are put in a similar situation.

Why would anyone question the flight thing- he needs to go to Jamaica, not Miami. Nassau-Miami, or FLL happens all the time. But to catch up to the ship? Again- I can see that it would scare me, too.

However long this takes, It's an interesting read.

The ONLY "advantage" that I would have is that I'm 99% sure that I would be with my wife- as we are always together. Plus we don't have kids- so the additional fear of wondering what happened to my son would not be on my mind. Other than that, I'll admit if I were in a similar situation, I can't honestly say how I would react- but can see me react much like the OP did.

We were on another ship in St Martin, but saw the Oasis leave a young couple. Seems they were using their phone as their clock (NEVER DO THIS!!!) because St Martin doesn't recognize Daylight Saving Time so they were an hour off!!!!

The ship had been gone at least 20 min when they arrived and it really was a sad sight. The girl got so upset she literally passed out. I really do think in this instance it was a "rookie mistake" of using their cell phone.......

Which is completely different than someone wearing a balloon hat waving a "yard long" drink as they run down the dock......:eek:!!!!

Those I do NOT feel sorry for!!!!

True.

This isn't a direct comment on the OP's saga, but just a piece of advice for anyone who reads this. Make a copy of your passport (the page with your photo/signature) and have it in a place where you can get it if you lose your passport. I have a scan of my passsport (and MrsPP's of course) sitting on my personal web server. I realize that this could be a major identity fraud risk, but here is what I've done to avoid that.

1.The page isn't linked anywhere, the only way to get to it is type the URL directly

2.Once you get to that page (which also has my eyeglass and contact lens prescriptions) you have to enter a username/password.

3.The files are not called "Passport scans" (or anything like that), they have innocuous sounding names.

4.The scans themselves are PDF's and that is password protected (with a different password than the one for the page)

I realize that most of you don't run your own webserver, but something like Dropbox or evernote could substitute for step 1 can you create password protected subdirectories on Evernote or Dropbox? I suppose you could create a DB or EN account named something like "PonyPlayer911" and use it only for these sorts of things.

I don't know how or what the OP did to get a passport (or even if he did), but I have to think that having a copy of your passport would make it easier to replace.

Edited by Pony Player