.... Ebola in New York

amberben

We are due to go on the Translantic in November and stop at NY over night...was wondering if we will still dock there now there is a confirmed case of Ebola.?

Thankyou Brenda xx

You're joking right? 1 confirmed case. Isolated in a hospital.

Does your itinerary include an excursion to the patient's room?

You're joking right? 1 confirmed case. Isolated in a hospital.

My exact thoughts.

Please folks, let's not go nuts here.

My best wishes to this doctor and to everyone else suffering from the disease.

Andy: maybe you can shut down this thread.

Edited by Turtles06

Unless you plan on kissing the doctor that is infected at Columbia University Medical Center , you have nothing to worry about. Ebola is a virus that is only exchanged by bodily fluids of an active infected person

That doctor certainly should be in all our prayers. He volunteered to go to Africa to treat patients, knowing the possible risks. God bless men and women that do things like that

Edited by johhnnyt

Unless you plan on kissing the doctor that is infected at Columbia University Medical Center , you have nothing to worry about. Ebola is a virus that is only exchanged by bodily fluids of an active infected person

That doctor certainly should be in all our prayers. He volunteered to go to Africa to treat patients, knowing the possible risks. God bless men and women that do things like that

While we understand that Ebola is only exchanged by bodily fluids, this doctor did not kiss the patients he treated, so your statement is irrelevant. In fact, precautions were taken to prevent the spread of Ebola while he was treating those patients, and clearly those precautions did not work.

This doctor was "feeling sluggish" a couple of days ago, yet he still took the subway, went bowling, went to a restaurant, and went for a walk in NYC.

A cough, a sneeze, a handshake, his utensils from the restaurant, his bowling ball, etc, is really all it takes.

Should there be a mass panic - of course not.

But should we be very concerned?

ABSOLUTELY.

Edited by DinaS

Ok, I was only asking a question...no need to jump on me like that thankyou.!

My concern is the two subways.taxi,bowling alley and 10 days of meeting and mixing with people.??

Just a question that is all.???? Being as a ship was denied landing on a Caribbean Island this week due to someone on board with it. And they had not been out of their cabins since getting on?

DinaS,

Very good points thankyou. That is indeed a lot of things where he could spread his germs..without kissing him.!! And some dirty people dont even wash there hands when they use the bathroom.!

I was not talking about everyone panicing but a ship full of people confined together for a length of time.It only needs one person to catch it and spread it on board. And then on the islands.

Edited by amberben

My concern is the two subways.taxi,bowling alley and 10 days of meeting and mixing with people.??

Just a question that is all.???? Being as a ship was denied landing on a Caribbean Island this week due to someone on board with it. And they had not been out of their cabins since getting on?

To clarify - there was NOT someone on board with Ebola. The person in question was a Lab Tech who had not come into contact with an Ebola patient, but who may have/handled - in a Lab, with all the security procedures that they routinely have in place - specimens from an infected person. She was self monitoring as had been requested and voluntarily took to her room because the advice changed. She did not and has not got the disease.

People need to realize the Ebola is not very contagious at all until you are really sick.

The man in Dallas who passed away - none of his family members got sick and they were all living together. Not even his girlfriend got sick. The reason doctors/nurses are contracting it is because they are with patients who are very, very, very sick (you wouldn't be able to ride the subway, go bowling or go out to dinner at this phase). At that point the disease is highly contagious with the exchange of bodily fluids.

While we understand that Ebola is only exchanged by bodily fluids, this doctor did not kiss the patients he treated, so your statement is irrelevant. In fact, precautions were taken to prevent the spread of Ebola while he was treating those patients, and clearly those precautions did not work.

This doctor was "feeling sluggish" a couple of days ago, yet he still took the subway, went bowling, went to a restaurant, and went for a walk in NYC.

A cough, a sneeze, a handshake, his utensils from the restaurant, his bowling ball, etc, is really all it takes.

ABSOLUTELY.

As a proud New Yorker & former 91a combat medic(looong time ago) I agree , yes there should not be mass panic but concern is warranted. Ebola is spread thru bodily fluids and how many of us ride the buses and trains where we see people cough and sneeze in their hands then go right back to holding the pole, or wipe sweat from forehead then go back to touching the pole. I don't hand sanitize every other minute and a rub of the eye or touching your lips can pass it on. This Dr(gods bless him) did great charity work in a neglected part of the world, and i'm sure he took every precaution but still got it! Its not irrational to be concerned that he was sick for a couple of days and was on a mass transit system that 5 million people use daily!

DinaS,

Very good points thankyou. That is indeed a lot of things where he could spread his germs..without kissing him.!! And some dirty people dont even wash there hands when they use the bathroom.!

I was not talking about everyone panicing but a ship full of people confined together for a length of time.It only needs one person to catch it and spread it on board. And then on the islands.

You're right, it's possible that a passenger on a ship could contract ebola at a port and bring it aboard. Particularly somewhere like New York after all the odds are at least 1 in 8,000,000. So of course there will be no more port stops for any ships anywhere until this is cleared up. And of course the definitive authority will be each cruise lines cruise critic representative.

And if you are allowed off a cruise ship, stay away from the bowling alley's!!!!! :)

Edited by bouhunter

ABSOLUTELY.

That what is drive me crazy !!!:mad: Why ? Why doctors who comes from Africa don’t go straight to hospital and spend 21 days there :mad:??? How many people should die from Ebola to make USA take it serious ?? How they get sick in first place if “it’sohard” to get Ebola without kissing sick person ? Something is defiantly very wrong here .

On a more serious tone, I certainly would not worry about it now. As others have said this is one case in New York among millions of residents and millions more of daily visitors.

Even taking the most pessimistic viewpoint, at this point in time there is over two weeks until you board your cruise and over three weeks until your day in New York. In the intervening time period it should become clearer if this occurrence is completely isolated, relatively controlled, or not controlled.

I believe the situation on the Carnival ship a week ago was completely different. That problem was caused by a lot of flip flop bad decisions by the CDC over which workers in the hospital should be monitored, and how, coupled with a lot of over reaction. Keep in mind that there was, in fact, no infection on that ship. As a result of all the snafu's surrounding that initial case in Texas they've come down with more definitive guidelines which are more likely to prevent the confusion and panic that led to that situation.

Edited by Lsimon

Are those who are making fun of this poster aware that the Carnival Ship that had the Dallas worker on it was refused entry to ports in Mexico and Belize because of the patient on board who did not even have Ebola. Perhaps the poster had this in mind when she asked the question. I do agree that NYC is not going to refuse entry to the ship because there is an ebola patient in the city, also believe there has been too much hype of this situation due to the Media with their "if it bleeds, it leads" mentality. And yes, I do realize that this situation is different since the patient is in the city and not on the ship.

Are those who are making fun of this poster aware that the Carnival Ship that had the Dallas worker on it was refused entry to ports in Mexico and Belize because of the patient on board who did not even have Ebola. Perhaps the poster had this in mind when she asked the question. I do agree that NYC is not going to refuse entry to the ship because there is an ebola patient in the city, also believe there has been too much hype of this situation due to the Media with their "if it bleeds, it leads" mentality. And yes, I do realize that this situation is different since the patient is in the city and not on the ship.

Thankyou..and as I said I was only asking a question..