Stupid TSA Question re: Lipstick

noblepa

I leave my lipstick in my purse. From the TSA website:

Q. What are the rules for makeup?

A. Makeup is subject to the same liquid and gel rules as all other substances -- so if you're bringing liquid mascara, lip gels (such as Blistex) or other liquid- or gel-like items, they will need to be placed in your quart-size plastic bag in 3.4-ounce or smaller containers. Lipstick, powders, solid lip balms (such as ChapStick) and other solid beauty products are not subject to the rules, and may be carried in your hand luggage without restriction.

In my case the TSA wanted me to prove my Lipstick was solid and not gel. And because they alert the 2 tubes of lipstick, Policy (they claimed) caused me and everything with me to get "special" inspection.

So they do make things up and there is no amount of arguing to stop this craziness!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am glad the airlines are enforcing their own size requirements for carryons. Why have size requirements if they're not going to enforce them?

I am tired of people bringing four bags on the plane when the rules state one carry-on piece and one personal item. Yes, ladies, additional shopping bags ARE items!

Men do the same thing. It's not only women that shop:rolleyes:. They s/b enforcing for the cheapies that don't want to spend the small amount to check their bags in.

A. Makeup is subject to the same liquid and gel rules as all other substances -- so if you're bringing liquid mascara, lip gels (such as Blistex) or other liquid- or gel-like items, they will need to be placed in your quart-size plastic bag in 3.4-ounce or smaller containers. Lipstick, powders, solid lip balms (such as ChapStick) and other solid beauty products are not subject to the rules, and may be carried in your hand luggage without restriction.

Someone should share that with the guys at Heathrow. But then again, they have own rules there.

I have carried a tube of lipstick in my purse for every flight, domestic and international, without giving it a thought. And it has never caused a delay, search etc. Unless the policy has changed or varies by airport, lipstick, deodorant and other SOLIDS are allowed on the plane. And that's what I have always found.

Gel deodorant can be confiscated. In May 2013, I flew to CA with my son's high school band to go to Disneyland. One of the teenage boys in my group had a large gel deodorant in his carry-on. The TSA agent didn't even look at the label to see if it was under the 3 oz size, he just confiscated it. Not a good idea, taking deodorant away from a teenage boy. :eek:

OTOH, this Labor Day weekend I flew to San Jose with our Robotics team for a competition. While there, one of the boys in the group bought a huge gummi bear, about 4 - 5" high. The TSA agents questioned it, but eventually let him keep it. I guess they deemed it "solid" enough to not be considered a gel.

So, why is a gummi bear "solid" but deodorant is "gel"? If anything, the deodorant is more "rigid". As others have said, it depends on the TSA agent, and they sometimes seem to make up the rules as they go along.

So toothpaste has to put in checked luggage also. You really have to think. Then there are eyebrow tweezers, nail files? I check these in also.

Yes I agree carryons should be within the allowable limits but to pay for luggage also? I think that's gouging. And seat selection.....gouging.

Gel deodorant can be confiscated. In May 2013, I flew to CA with my son's high school band to go to Disneyland. One of the teenage boys in my group had a large gel deodorant in his carry-on. The TSA agent didn't even look at the label to see if it was under the 3 oz size, he just confiscated it. Not a good idea, taking deodorant away from a teenage boy. :eek:

OTOH, this Labor Day weekend I flew to San Jose with our Robotics team for a competition. While there, one of the boys in the group bought a huge gummi bear, about 4 - 5" high. The TSA agents questioned it, but eventually let him keep it. I guess they deemed it "solid" enough to not be considered a gel.

So, why is a gummi bear "solid" but deodorant is "gel"? If anything, the deodorant is more "rigid". As others have said, it depends on the TSA agent, and they sometimes seem to make up the rules as they go along.

Did you know that, in Canada, butter is considered a gel and should be put in the checked luggage?

We had flown to Victoria and taken the ferry across to Port Angeles, WA. While there for a week, we went to Costco where we found butter at a fraction of what we pay at home. We purchased two packages for a total of 8 pounds. We carried all of our luggage back across to Victoria on the ferry and flew home the following day. We're normally quite conscious of the carry-on rules but never considered the butter to be an issue. When the carryon was xrayed at the airport, they asked what was in the carryon. We were then told that butter was considered a gel. (The butter had been out of a fridge for a few hours so it was a little soft.) I had the choice of trying to get our checked luggage back or toss the butter. Thankfully, the friendly staff at Westjet retrieved my suitcase (it helped that it was the only orange suitcase in a sea of black suitcases) so we were able to keep our butter and eat it, too!:)

Did you know that, in Canada, butter is considered a gel and should be put in the checked luggage?

We had flown to Victoria and taken the ferry across to Port Angeles, WA. While there for a week, we went to Costco where we found butter at a fraction of what we pay at home. We purchased two packages for a total of 8 pounds. We carried all of our luggage back across to Victoria on the ferry and flew home the following day. We're normally quite conscious of the carry-on rules but never considered the butter to be an issue. When the carryon was xrayed at the airport, they asked what was in the carryon. We were then told that butter was considered a gel. (The butter had been out of a fridge for a few hours so it was a little soft.) I had the choice of trying to get our checked luggage back or toss the butter. Thankfully, the friendly staff at Westjet retrieved my suitcase (it helped that it was the only orange suitcase in a sea of black suitcases) so we were able to keep our butter and eat it, too!:)

I'm sure your Canadians guys went to "security" school with our "T (the) S (stupid) A (agency)" :)

The TSA is a U.S. agency. Heathrow is not in the U.S., so they have their own rules.

Yes, I believe that's what I said. And was the point I was trying to make - in other words, the TSA does not rule at Heathrow. Perhaps the person who argued the point with me does not realise that Heathrow is in the UK. :rolleyes:

Edited by Lizzie68

Many TSA agents sadly do not know the rules and seem to make up stuff as they go...

Unfortunately, that is true. The TSA in London said an empty bottle was "liquid". English was not his first language.

There is no TSA in London.

Thank you for the correction. I should have said Heathrow, but I'm sure the title of the security there is not TSA, however I believe readers knew what I meant. Your contribution is most appreciated as usual!

That's weird. Most types of Blistex are NOT gels, they're just as solid as Chapstick. Wonder who at the TSA made that incorrect distinction?

Edited by BeagleOne

That's weird. Most types of Blistex are NOT gels, they're just as solid as Chapstick. Wonder who at the TSA made that incorrect distinction?

I've had to put my Chapstick in the one quart plastic bag at quite a few US airports. I haven't tried to argue with the screeners about Chapstick's being a solid, but I'm sure they're very reasonable, and open to discussing it on the merits. ;) I bet they would appreciate it if you sprinkle phrases like "incorrect distinction" in when you tell them that they're wrong. :D

Several posts have indicated exactly why I put my lipstick, and most all of my cosmetics, in checked luggage.

No matter what the TSA website says, I am not going to risk an expensive tube of lipstick (not to mention risk going without) when some TSA (or equivalent) agent has the power to make up the rules as they go along.

I don't care to argue with them. It's "Yes, sir, no sir, anything you say, sir" when dealing with those who are standing between me and the departure gate.

Several posts have indicated exactly why I put my lipstick, and most all of my cosmetics, in checked luggage.

No matter what the TSA website says, I am not going to risk an expensive tube of lipstick (not to mention risk going without) when some TSA (or equivalent) agent has the power to make up the rules as they go along.

I don't care to argue with them. It's "Yes, sir, no sir, anything you say, sir" when dealing with those who are standing between me and the departure gate.

I don't blame you but I sure hope your luggage doesn't get lost. I never thought it would happen to me. At least I had my makeup when it did. Pretty sure other folks were happy about that too.

Hysterical..... this is one of the best ones yet! LOL :D

It wasn't so funny at the time. I was the last one on the plane, because I had to go for a secondary screening. My husband went ahead to tell them of my situation. The Delta people wanted to know if he wanted to fly without me. He thought that was really funny...I did too, because I had the house/car keys in my purse. He wouldn't have gotten real far! The Delta rep. came back with DH to hurry up the screener. The screener/TSA had no sympathy...I can still hear him saying in broken English that I had liquid!! His supervisor told me I should have gotten there sooner--no understanding that our ship arrived late!! As much as I love London, I am going to avoid Heathrow if I can! I sort of understand what happened, but you'd think they would have just taken the empty bottle, like they would a real liquid!

Was there residue liquid in the bottle? I don't understand why you couldn't just dump it.

No residue. Perhaps if they notice what could hold liquid, it's flagged. I've done this before...dump out a small bottle of hairspray. They get people who make minimum wage to do the job...not bright people who can think for themselves. My bag was after someone's whose was filled with weird stuff. Looked like photographic equipment (while I was waiting for that to be rescreened). Maybe he thought we were part of some plot!

Point taken about the expensive lipstick. I am putting aside a nearly gone tube for our Dec flight and will keep that for my purse. I will put the newer tubes in our checked bags.

Can a Swiss Army knife be put in checked baggage? It has a bottle opener on it and we found out the hard way on our last cruise that bottle openers are not provided when you order a six pack of beer for your cabin. We called for a bottle opener and after a ninety minute delay they sent a steward to open a bottle of beer and no, he couldn't leave the opener. We discovered a piece of hardware on the balcony partition would pop the caps off but that was sort of a jury rig solution.

Point taken about the expensive lipstick. I am putting aside a nearly gone tube for our Dec flight and will keep that for my purse. I will put the newer tubes in our checked bags.

Can a Swiss Army knife be put in checked baggage? It has a bottle opener on it and we found out the hard way on our last cruise that bottle openers are not provided when you order a six pack of beer for your cabin. We called for a bottle opener and after a ninety minute delay they sent a steward to open a bottle of beer and no, he couldn't leave the opener. We discovered a piece of hardware on the balcony partition would pop the caps off but that was sort of a jury rig solution.

Usually a "no" on the Swiss Army knife. Let me know if you need a bottle opener or corkscrew. I stuck an extra in my travel bag just in case.