Seat recline - is it the cabin steward's responsilbilty??

Hi All

I am sure there are many discussions on this topic but cannot find one in 'Australia' forum.

I seem to always get behind persons who love to recline every God given minute apart from when 'they' are eating or get up to go to the loo. Last time I flew back from the USA, fellow in front of me reclined as soon as he sat down, then was told to sit up during take-off, sat up while he had his meal and back he went even though we were still eating and trays were not removed:( Steward asked him to sit up until all were finished but this request was ignored. This was a day time flight!

End of rant.

I do understand your frustration but wanted to let you know something so that you might shed light on your recalcitrant fellow passengers. While I have not reclined my seat during takeoff or landing and if asked would raise my seat back, I do have sympathy for those passengers you described. I have pain whenever I am in a completely upright position due to a disk problem in my back. While I do sit there and put up with the pain when required, I do understand why another person would not be willing to do so unless it was a documented rule required for air travel that the individual had been notified of in advance of the flight. While the tray is a little closer to you when the seat is reclined it is not impossible to use the tray unless you are obese. So maybe you should consider whether your inconvenience is more important then another person's pain.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Edited by Jana60

There is a simple solution here. The airlines out seats in that don't recline.

This will force more people to pay to upgrade to the premium economy option.

Jetstar is now reducing the size of carry on luggage and forcing those whom have brought a huge suitcase on to check it in at cost.

Overhead locker rage is a whole other topic

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The other thing that makes me scratch my head in amazement is that there are times years ago I do recall sitting in ordinary economy seats.

At no times did I ever feel squashed in or cramped when people reclined their seats in front. I could easily get out of the seat with the ones in front fully reclined and could even have something on the tray.

I seriously don't get what the issue is. There is plenty of room for the average sized human to be comfortable.

But you don't have a fat gut like some of us, young fella. LOL. Seat recline nearly kills us blokes with barrel chests and an expanding waistline, due to too many cruise ship buffets.

Anyway I am travelling business class to and from UK next year, to avoid 'seat recline rage' and to avoid 'jobbing someone who has the audacity to infringe on my personal space.

Edited by NSWP

But you don't have a fat gut like some of us, young fella. LOL. Seat recline nearly kills us blokes with barrel chests and an expanding waistline, due to too many cruise ship buffets.

Anyway I am travelling business class to and from UK next year, to avoid 'seat recline rage' and to avoid 'jobbing someone who has the audacity to infringe on my personal space.

Classic , Uncle Les.:rolleyes: