New steakhouse selections in MDR

BrwnEyedGirl35

Curious.....has anyone paid the up charge for any of these items and did you think it was worth it? I realize that the steakhouse is for the experience as well as the food but those that have tried both is it still worth going to the steakhouse with this new option?

Happy sailing all!!! :cool:

The MDR option gives you an entree for 20.00. For 35.00, you go the steakhouse and enjoy an amuse bouche, appetizer, soup, salad, entree, 2 side dishes, and dessert. You also get the ambiance of the steakhouse. And if you're a wine drinker, go on the first night and you get a free bottle.

If you want to eat, go to the buffet.

If you want to eat better, go to the MDR.

If you want to dine, go to the steakhouse.

We were on the Dream last summer and did it.We had gone to the steak house and really enjoyed the meal. Unlike the MDR. MDR steaks were really bad so my husband, who is notorious for not spending a dime more then he has to, suggested we just pay it for a nice meal, so we did. It was worth it to us as we just didn't find anything on the menu the last night that looked good.

On this years Magic cruise, Hubby ordered the fillet in the MDR as nothing was appealing to him on the menu. It was awesome according to him. Interestingly, we dining in the Steakhouse a few nights later and he ordered the fillet. While it was still enjoyable he said it was not as good as the one he was served in the MDR.

We do enjoy this option for nights like described above.

And as SNJCruisers posted above:

So very true.

On this years Magic cruise, Hubby ordered the fillet in the MDR as nothing was appealing to him on the menu. It was awesome according to him. Interestingly, we dining in the Steakhouse a few nights later and he ordered the fillet. While it was still enjoyable he said it was not as good as the one he was served in the MDR.

We do enjoy this option for nights like described above.

And as SNJCruisers posted above:

So very true.

Interesting, it is my understanding that when ordered in the MDR it comes from the Steakhouse.

Curious.....has anyone paid the up charge for any of these items and did you think it was worth it? I realize that the steakhouse is for the experience as well as the food but those that have tried both is it still worth going to the steakhouse with this new option?

Yes. Yes. Yes.

This new program was offered on my last Breeze cruise and no, I do not think it was worth the upcharge. There are so many other good options for free on the menu, why go for a steakhouse steak or whatever when there is a steak on the menu every night that is not $20 worse? If you want a steakhouse experience, the $35 is worth it for the full atmosphere, apps, dessert, entree, better service, etc. I went to the steakhouse and was disappointed to be honest. It was my second steakhouse experience overall on Carnival and it wasn't bad, just not excellent. I say stay away from the upcharge stuff in the mdr but that's just me.

The MDR option gives you an entree for 20.00. For 35.00, you go the steakhouse and enjoy an amuse bouche, appetizer, soup, salad, entree, 2 side dishes, and dessert. You also get the ambiance of the steakhouse. And if you're a wine drinker, go on the first night and you get a free bottle.

My thoughts exactly but if you want to eat, skip the lido dinner buffet. In my recent experiences, it has gone downhill and bad. Unlimited entrees in the mdr, and a decent dining experience, never left hungry or truly disappointed. I am not really a fine diner so the steakhouse is a take or leave it thing. :cool:

Sailing on the Pride in September my husband ordered the steakhouse filet six times. He only eats beef and that is our best solution. We were on a b2b. The first week the filets were not up to par. Each night it was very tuff. Decided to try again the second week and every night they were absolutely a good quality, flavorful and tender filet. We would do it again without a thought. We don't enjoy the steakhouse experience but do enjoy a good steak.

Choice that is what life is about.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I was on the Fascination last month and one of my tablemates ordered the filet and said it was awesome!! It didn't come from the steakhouse because there isn't one on the Fascination.

did you pay the 20 buck upcharge

I sailed on the Breeze last month (SEPT 21-28th) and had steak at both the Steakhouse and also in the MDR - the steak in the MDR was well worth the $ 20.00 and to be honest with you, I enjoyed my MDR steak much more than the one at the steakhouse ! :D

On the Splendor a couple of weeks ago we ordered the surf and turf as did MIL and a friend. Another friend ordered the ribeye. DH, friend and MIL enjoyed the surf and turf and thought it was worth it. I didn't. My steak was small and flat like the one they serve for the sea day brunch. Lobster tail wasn't that much bigger or better tasting than the one they serve on elegant night. Our friend who had the ribeye said it was incredible and was much better than the ribeye they had on the regular menu one night.

On the Splendor a couple of weeks ago we ordered the surf and turf as did MIL and a friend. Another friend ordered the ribeye. DH, friend and MIL enjoyed the surf and turf and thought it was worth it. I didn't. My steak was small and flat like the one they serve for the sea day brunch. Lobster tail wasn't that much bigger or better tasting than the one they serve on elegant night. Our friend who had the ribeye said it was incredible and was much better than the ribeye they had on the regular menu one night.

I have yet to see a ribeye on the Steakhouse Selections in the MDR, but perhaps they added it. That would be a bonus! The NY Strip I had was excellent.

I really enjoyed the Surf and Turf and the lobster was far superior to what was on the regular MDR menu. The filet was about the same size as the filet on the regular MDR menu, but again, was a superior piece of meat.

The steakhouse is tremendous. If you are one who feels if it's free no reason to pay for something else, then the best dinner in the world probably wouldn't be worth it to you, nothing wrong with that.

We enjoy great restaurants and the meal we had on the Dream in the steakhouse was worth more than what they charge. I got the last reservation for the first sea night on our upcoming cruise. I had wanted the fourth day out but that was booked. I'm guessing it is getting to be a popular add on.

Edited by Tampa8

All it does is give someone more options. If I was going to eat with a group and they want to go to the main dining room I could still up charge my meal where they wouldn't have to. I'm cruising with my sister in two weeks and she's on a tight budget and well I splurge so best of both worlds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm planning on ordering lamb chops from the steakhouse on the night it's offered in the MDR, as it's not on the regular MDR menu and it's my favorite thing from the steakhouse.:)

Is it on the menu in the menu of steakhouse items available in the MDR? My understanding is not the entire menu is on the menu in the MDR ..

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app