Regatta Internet

Shermcruiser

The discount for the A- Concierge level rooms is 10%. If your voyage is less than 14 days the unlimited is $27.99 a day, if 14 days or more it is $21.99 a day, plus the 10%.

If you are Bronze(5 cruises) through Gold (20 cruises) with Oceania you will get a 20% discount. More for higher levels.

There's also some free minutes starting in certain categories next fall.

See all information here.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/internetpackages/

We have done the Internet packages, and frankly I would never, ever do it again. The service is so slow and tedious that you just spend more time getting frustrated. Admittedly some of the work I had to do was graphic, and therefore data, intensive, but the speeds simply would not permit me to get anything done. I know that AOL will sense if you are on a slow connection and offer you less data-intensive screens, but I don't use AOL, and Verizon's email was absurdly slow because they add a large number of graphics to their web-based mail pages. The bottom line was that I spent over $200 and got very, very, very little.

Usually I try to disconnect while at sea, and I would not have purchased the package had I not had a client for whom I had to get some work completed. That was ultimately only possible by wasting half of a port day working in an Internet cafe. I did learn a valuable lesson -- don't ever do it again!

I think that you have to be careful about discounting all of the Internet Packages in one fell swoop, because the Unlimited Internet Package might have serviced your needs more efficiently than buying the per minute plans.

Personally, I've always had better luck on ANY SHIP if I tried to access the net at odd hours, and feeling free to sign on at any hour of the night or day to see how swift the traffic is, pushes a great deal of work through..

We had the internet package when we were on the Marnia. We thought it was the best we had ever experienced at sea.

Our next cruise will be on the Insignia, and I am fearful that it won't be as good as on the Marnia because of the ships age.

We were on Nautica in July and the bandwidth and speeds were fine. Sufficient at least to connect to my company's servers via VPN.

My experience with all of O's ships goes back a number of years. All ships were "re-enhanced" some time ago. (Not 10 years, maybe 2.) Quite frankly, I haven't noticed much of a difference between the ships.

Our last few cruises have mostly been on Marina (Oct '11, Nov '13, May '14) with one on Regatta in Aug '12. I didn't notice a difference.

Yes, J&S are right: go on line when no one else is, you'll do much better. Do you want to go online after say 11pm? For me, no ... I no longer have urgent business to do online. For someone who has business to communicate, that might be a way to go. Or at least after 9pm.

On our last two Marina cruises I took the internet package -- in the past I bought minutes, I don't remember how many, probably usually 200 or so. But when we hit "silver" it seemed worth buying the package.

When I was online from our aft OC suite and forward VS on the last two cruises, speed wasn't great. I'm sure it would have been better if I'd taken my laptop upstairs, but with the package it didn't seem worth it.

It does depend on what you need to do (for me these days it's pretty much email, and I shut down my message boards when I'm cruising). Sometimes an emergency email comes from my NYC coop, but that's quite rare.

Good luck!

Mura