Thoughts on our first Oceania cruise by Azamara fans

mara01

With other lines, we have twice been on cruises with large groups. One was an alumni group on a Russian River cruise that brought along several professors and we were all invited to their outstanding lectures.

Another was a group of birdwatchers on a Chilean Fjords cruise. A bit of a challenge on the shore excursions until the cruiseline designated one bus for birders and one for nonbirders. That minor adjustment allowed the birders to make some different stops and all were happy. Except when, as luck would have it, the nonbirder bus happened upon a group of condors. We stopped and watched them swooping and diving. The birders missed it completely but they did find an important woodpecker, so they were happy in the end. I did know about this group ahead of time because I did a google search on the cruise line and dates and it popped up.

An O trip that went up to the far north from Dover had a large group of Europeans, who seem to have booked through the same travel agent. They were very interesting and friendly but O could have done more to deal the large number of smokers-even some extra smoke eaters in Horizons would have helped.

Mary

mara01, as someone actively considering sailing Oceania for the first time after many Azamara cruises I found your review very helpful.

It appears that there are many things I would enjoy on Oceania and a few things perhaps would not be to my taste.

However, I look forward to trying the line for myself in 2015.

Thanks for posting.

We were on Marina this past March and there were several groups onboard consisting of Alumnis, a large Convention and a few other small groups. We were not aware of this before booking, and we DEFINITELY felt a very different vibe on the ship. We found the atmosphere on the ship more boisterous & casual than our previous O cruises. Less 'serious' travelers and more party types. This was our first tropical destination and I got the impression that tropical itineraries attract a different crowd than example European, Asian, Eastern itineraries:confused:

We were on the Riviera October last year, in the Med. There were 2 groups on board, both groups were there as rewards from their respective companies. The smaller group from a cosmetics company were fine, although some did reek of perfume.Unfortunately the other group, from an Insurance company, nearly 300 of them, walked around the ship in large groups (families?). They all seemed to be chain smokers and carried the smell into all areas. So it can happen in the Med too. I think 'O' may do deals in Oct/Nov in the Med when sales are slow. Which may have been attractive to the companies mentioned above. JMHO

I think we all read these boards for help in finding our most suitable cruise lines. It is called Due Diligence and these reviews etc. are all helpful in the learning process of what we can expect and hope at the same time our travel agent can be useful in these areas of concern, as well. I did find out you can "Google" specific cruises that would be a concern and I found websites that show what "cruise lines" are specific to what we can now call "Special Groups" ?

We were on Marina this past March and there were several groups onboard consisting of Alumnis, a large Convention and a few other small groups. We were not aware of this before booking, and we DEFINITELY felt a very different vibe on the ship. We found the atmosphere on the ship more boisterous & casual than our previous O cruises. Less 'serious' travelers and more party types. This was our first tropical destination and I got the impression that tropical itineraries attract a different crowd than example European, Asian, Eastern itineraries:confused:

As some others have already mentioned, it may not be a question of itineraries. The first time I heard that this was a problem was from a member of the yahoo Oceania message board who was on a transatlantic cruise in O's first year of existence. This was also a large alum group that made things unpleasant at times for other passengers.

Mention has also been made of large numbers of smokers in these affinity groups that have been unboard, and since smoking is theoretically not permitted O should do more to make sure these groups are aware of the situation. This would be one way to ruin a cruise for me!

Mura

Judy,

I just want to say that some of my best friends are librarians!

But I also know they tend to be quiet, polite, etc ...

I would love to cruise with you sometime!

Mura

From reading all of your posts, I feel I know you already. Thanks.

Judy

Regent just had a group from BMW -- 400 passengers (the ship holds 700). It did not sound like a pleasant experience. There were kids sitting at the bar grabbing food, etc. I'm sure most people would be very upset had they been on this cruise. I did learn that TA's can check to see if there will be a large group onboard your cruise. I would be particularly concerned about 7 night itineraries.

IMO, when people are on a cruise and they did not select the cruise line (and many times "won" it rather than paid for it), they have no real interest in the ship. They want to be with friends and party (does not always mean drinking -- it can simply be large, very loud groups sitting together).

I understand why cruise lines do this but they need to look at how many customers they could lose if they are onboard with one of these large groups (my opinion of course).

Wow, I am reading the Regent Boards and apparently Oceania is also now providing a Military discount to our wonderful men in service and Veterans. 19 cruises on O provide this. Kudos to O....another difference and most admirable!!

Most admirable, but not a difference since Azamara does it too:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=44634167&postcount=79

Most admirable, but not a difference since Azamara does it too:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=44634167&postcount=79

Nice to see they are offering a discount also. It provides an opportunity for our Military and Veterans to do some comparison shopping as to who will give them the best deal and itinerary along with OBC etc.