Upgrade to Concierge GTY or stay with assigned Sweet 16

Want2Cruise 701

The Guarantee price for a Concierge is now the same price (well $100 less). We have 3 ppl. 11 yr old with us.

I guess it comes down to if we want the extra points, little larger cabin, breakfast menu, canapés and sparkling wine vs the larger balcony. The points don't mean all that much since I added it up and we need to sail the same amount of cruises to reach Elite.

What I really want is a C1 or FV but that will never happen. I've never sailed anything but a C1 or FV on an M Class so I guess you can say we are a little spoiled. The prices were just too much this time around.

Should we stay Sweet 16, do the guarantee or wait to see if perhaps prices drop to get an assigned C1 or FV. There are many cabins available in all categories according to a certain online website. They keep dropping only the price of a guarantee but nothing assigned.

I don't know how it's happened but our neighbors last cruise received a C1 on a guarantee and the time before that our neighbors received a FV on a guarantee. Maybe they were just really lucky or Captains Club status plays a role too. Don't know.

Don't know what to do.

If there are lots of vacancies... Then I would roll the dice on a Concierge Guarantee

As there is a chance you could end up with a great Concierge cabin (or better)

We too love the Aft Sunset C1s on The Summit

Worse case scenario you end up in a Concierge you are not crazy about...

But then, if there are a lot of vacancies... You should be able to do a swap within the subcategory for a better located one

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

The Guarantee price for a Concierge is now the same price (well $100 less). We have 3 ppl. 11 yr old with us.

I guess it comes down to if we want the extra points, little larger cabin, breakfast menu, canapés and sparkling wine vs the larger balcony. The points don't mean all that much since I added it up and we need to sail the same amount of cruises to reach Elite.

What I really want is a C1 or FV but that will never happen. I've never sailed anything but a C1 or FV on an M Class so I guess you can say we are a little spoiled. The prices were just too much this time around.

Should we stay Sweet 16, do the guarantee or wait to see if perhaps prices drop to get an assigned C1 or FV. There are many cabins available in all categories according to a certain online website. They keep dropping only the price of a guarantee but nothing assigned.

I don't know how it's happened but our neighbors last cruise received a C1 on a guarantee and the time before that our neighbors received a FV on a guarantee. Maybe they were just really lucky or Captains Club status plays a role too. Don't know.

Don't know what to do.

It sounds like you're sailing on an M class ship, I'd definitely take the C guarantee, you'll appreciate the extra space with a 11 year old in the room. Maybe you'll get lucky & get something better, but if not, a larger room is always better in my opinion. Keep in mind some the Concierge rooms have partially blocked or smaller balconies. Good Luck!

Edited by cruise kitty

I too would stick with the Sweet 16.

The extra space on the Concierge Class cabin is often mentioned but really is minimal. The perks for us have little value, but YMMV.

Unless I was assured of getting a C1 on an "M" Class I'd stick with the Sweet 16 for the extra space on the balcony.

I too would stick with the Sweet 16.

The extra space on the Concierge Class cabin is often mentioned but really is minimal. The perks for us have little value, but YMMV.

Unless I was assured of getting a C1 on an "M" Class I'd stick with the Sweet 16 for the extra space on the balcony.

I can't get the multi quote to work, so I'm replying to the previous two posters:

This goes to show how taste is subjective, for me, having that third person in a cabin would be just about unbearable, so I'd want the extra interior space.

I've had big & small balconies, & they don't matter to me as much as the cabin. I think that it's good that the OP now has replies from opposing views, hopefully they can decide what's important to them, extra interior space & CC points, or the bigger balcony. :)

I can tell you I have stayed in a C3, a sweet sixteen, and a C1. Obviously, the C1 is most preferable, but you cannot assure yourself that is what you will get. The cabin is the same size, but you could host a party on the balcony. It is literally as large as the room. The C3 "extra space" is hardly even noticeable. The balcony of the sweet sixteen is at least twice the size of a regular balcony. Stick with what you have and hope for further discounts.

Stick with the Sweet Sixteen! The balconies are amazing! Although the Concierge Class Cabins are a little bigger than the standard veranda (Sweet Sixteen), the few CC amenities have pretty much disappeared. On our September Summit cruise, we had to ask for an ice bucket (and regular ice service) and we had to beg for one of the smaller umbrellas. No more fresh flowers in the cabin, and the fruit bowl is now a plate with three apples on it. I did not feel that a cheap bottle of sparkling wine, and the hit-or-miss daily delivery of soggy snacks warranted the extra cost for a Concierge Class cabin. IMHO, the only Concierge cabins worth trading a Sweet Sixteen for are those on the aft -- now, you're talking BALCONY! :cool:

Don't know what to do.

We've had great luck and we don't have "status".

I had a similar quandary in late August and gave up the sweet 16 (on Connie) for the Concierge guarantee. At the time only C1s were left. I watched every day as they sold one by one. About a week later we were assigned. We scored the best possible 6143 with the biggest C1 cabin*, huge balcony and awesome location! Our luggage tags (reordered) came the morning we left.

Our other concierge guarantee on Solstice also was a C1 aft.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat :)

*6143 is about one foot wider than normal, makes a huge difference moving around the cabin, plus the 2X sized balcony

Boy, this is a tough call. Is this $100. less per person?? That adds up and could be spent on excursions for your 11 yr. old. With a child that age you will more than likely be go-go-go so how much time will you spend on the balcony? Also they do not give you reclining lounge chairs on the sweet-16. I also agree with what others have posted about concierge not being a big deal anymore and you have to be in the cabin to accept the appetizers also. But the discount you receive on Concierge is pretty good. Hummm - good luck with your decision.

I can tell you I have stayed in a C3, a sweet sixteen, and a C1. Obviously, the C1 is most preferable, but you cannot assure yourself that is what you will get. The cabin is the same size, but you could host a party on the balcony. It is literally as large as the room. The C3 "extra space" is hardly even noticeable. The balcony of the sweet sixteen is at least twice the size of a regular balcony. Stick with what you have and hope for further discounts.

What is a "sweet sixteen" cabin?

What is a "sweet sixteen" cabin?

On 'M' class , the first 8 balcony cabins on deck 6. Starts with 6030 on one side. The balconies are double the size yet the price is less than most balconies. So, many find them a real bargain.

We enjoyed 6030 on the Summit thanks to reading about it on these boards.

Try googling for pictures.

We have decided to stay in the Sweet 16 and take our chances hoping prices will drop more and upgrade to the C1 or FV. The bigger balcony does mean more to us, and we have 6030.

We just hope not being aft with the bigger balcony isn't going to be a let down since our last Summit cruise was a Corner FV and the two previous cruises were aft facing C1's.

Thanks everyone for weighing in on the pros and cons.