Scan your BC and here's why..........

CJinFLA00

Just recently cruised on Freedom which was our best cruise yet but 2 days prior to the cruise, our DD could not find her birth certificate. Needless to say, we were a bit freaked out. I then remembered that I had scanned all our BC and passports several years earlier. I was able to print out her BC (which no one batted an eye at) and her cruise was saved. I'm not debating BC verses passport as she does plan on getting a passport. I just wanted to share our experience for others. Additionally, I have also loaded these scans to my Google drive so I can access from my phone, tablet, or any PC with an internet connection.

Happy cruising!

I'm glad she didn't have any issues and was able to board! :)

This is a perfect example of why we keep all our of important docs, including passports, BC's., etc., in a lock box in our closet. That way we always know where to find these docs when we need them. :)

Just watched a show about cruising, featured Oasis. One lady had her expired passport instead of her new one and she was denied boarding.

Several people were asked for letters from 'the other parent' and had to scramble to get faxes.

This stuff is what makes nightmares the week before cruising!

I make PDF files of the various documents and put them on the tablet I carry with me. Makes it easier to deal with plus then don't have to carry paper.

Also, do the same thing with your credit cards, front and back.

I make PDF files of the various documents and put them on the tablet I carry with me. Makes it easier to deal with plus then don't have to carry paper.

Great idea. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just hope your tablet doesn't take a walk? ;)

Just recently cruised on Freedom which was our best cruise yet but 2 days prior to the cruise, our DD could not find her birth certificate. Needless to say, we were a bit freaked out. I then remembered that I had scanned all our BC and passports several years earlier. I was able to print out her BC (which no one batted an eye at) and her cruise was saved. I'm not debating BC verses passport as she does plan on getting a passport. I just wanted to share our experience for others. Additionally, I have also loaded these scans to my Google drive so I can access from my phone, tablet, or any PC with an internet connection.

Happy cruising!

Quick question...I thought Carnival's policy is that the Birth Certificate has to have a raised seal. Is this not the case? I will be scanning DH BC for sure, because he is the only one in our party who just won't get his passport. Thanks

Quick question...I thought Carnival's policy is that the Birth Certificate has to have a raised seal. Is this not the case? I will be scanning DH BC for sure, because he is the only one in our party who just won't get his passport. Thanks

We were told we needed raised seals as well..

No, that is incorrect. Many jurisdictions no longer use raised seals. They now include other technologically advanced security features onto official documents, such as watermarked paper, heat-sensitive ink/images, microprinting, etc.

"Original or suitable quality copy of a Birth Certificate (Issued by a government agency: state/county/city)".

http://www.carnival.com/core/faq.aspx#q-1394828

Edited by YorN

Earlier this month, my friends arrived at the pier and realized that they left their passports at home. They were denied boarding even after their relatives scanned their passports and emailed it to them. They had to spend many hundreds of dollars to fly to grand cayman to pick up the boat after they received the fedexed passports.

I also didn't think they were accepting copies. I realize some states don't have raised seals but it should be obvious what is a photocopy and what is not. I don't travel with a BC so I really don't know. I use my passport, but this is where I find it confusing. I feel like the standards are very confusing.

Although it's nice to have a copy just in case. I sure wouldn't show up to the port with just a copy or a copy on my tablet and expecting to get on the ship.

I am glad however it worked out for the OP because I never want to see someone miss the ship, but I really thought they were only supposed to take original paper copies? So confused.

I believe the true element here is that the bc needs to be really good quality when printed..

It is right that now a days, many states no longer used raised seals for notarized papers. I have 4 children and none of their bc's have raised seals on them. I can easily make a copy of them if need be..

My DH is from TX. Surprisingly, he had to get a new bc 7 years ago and they still did raised seals (it even stated on the certificate that a raised seal is required for validation). So, trying to pass a copy of that certificate would not work...

Just like mine though, I have my original birth certificate (that is 33 years old).. Yep, that paper has seen a lot.. I was informed by Carnival that I would not be allowed to board another cruise with that certificate and that I needed to get an updated birth certificate or passport before going on another cruise because it is sooo old and bent right in the middle. It is still able to get all important information but they were worried that homeland security may not allow me back in the states due to it being so fragile and old... But, again, it has a raised seal on it and states that it is required to have a raised seal for validation. So, getting a copy through would not work whatsoever..

Earlier this month, my friends arrived at the pier and realized that they left their passports at home. They were denied boarding even after their relatives scanned their passports and emailed it to them. They had to spend many hundreds of dollars to fly to grand cayman to pick up the boat after they received the fedexed passports.

And if someone had faxed their birth certificates (of course presupposing they were on a closed loop cruise) then they would have been able to board. Having an electronic copy of their birth certificate would also have saved the day.

Yes, passport is king but let's not forget that queens and jacks exist in case something does happen like forgetting or losing a passport:).

I also didn't think they were accepting copies. I realize some states don't have raised seals but it should be obvious what is a photocopy and what is not. I don't travel with a BC so I really don't know. I use my passport, but this is where I find it confusing. I feel like the standards are very confusing.

Although it's nice to have a copy just in case. I sure wouldn't show up to the port with just a copy or a copy on my tablet and expecting to get on the ship.

I am glad however it worked out for the OP because I never want to see someone miss the ship, but I really thought they were only supposed to take original paper copies? So confused.

Hey Kelley, I don't plan to use a copy of the BC or passport to gain entry onto the ship. I have it just in case I get stuck somewhere not in the US. It has all the pertinent information. When I travel outside the US it is ALWAYS with a US passport.

Steve

I believe the true element here is that the bc needs to be really good quality when printed..

It is right that now a days, many states no longer used raised seals for notarized papers. I have 4 children and none of their bc's have raised seals on them. I can easily make a copy of them if need be..

My DH is from TX. Surprisingly, he had to get a new bc 7 years ago and they still did raised seals (it even stated on the certificate that a raised seal is required for validation). So, trying to pass a copy of that certificate would not work...

Just like mine though, I have my original birth certificate (that is 33 years old).. Yep, that paper has seen a lot.. I was informed by Carnival that I would not be allowed to board another cruise with that certificate and that I needed to get an updated birth certificate or passport before going on another cruise because it is sooo old and bent right in the middle. It is still able to get all important information but they were worried that homeland security may not allow me back in the states due to it being so fragile and old... But, again, it has a raised seal on it and states that it is required to have a raised seal for validation. So, getting a copy through would not work whatsoever..

Most birth certificates that I see have similar language about the raised seal and copies of those birth certificates are still acceptable for boarding a cruise. Why? Because the regulations that cover this say they are sufficient for the purpose. As for your birth certificate of 33 years ago there is nothing that would prevent it from being used as long as it is still legible. As long as the CBP can read your name, date of birth and tell that it was issued by a government authority then there is no reason for them to question it.

it's not that confusing:

Original or suitable quality copy of a Birth Certificate (Issued by a government agency: state/county/city) and a government issued photo ID if 16 years of age and older.

http://www.carnival.com/core/faq.aspx#q-1394828

I do not scan them but I do always carry 2 extra copies of everything, including passports, drivers license, marriage certificate, credit cards, birth certificates, etc. I keep one set, dh gets other.

We do the same thing - copies of passport, DL, CC, etc.

This was a couple of years ago, but my bf and I flew into MIA the night before a cruise. A couple of friends picked us up and we went straight to a restaurant for dinner. We left all of our luggage in the car. I don't take a purse on cruises. I just keep everything in my carry on. Well, I grabbed my credit card and ID (thank God) before going into the restaurant since we were gonna have some drinks. Left the rest of the carry-on, including our passports, in the car. (stupid, I know). Car was broken into. Passports gone! Luckily, I knew exactly where our birth certificates were and my friend had a key to my house in Atlanta. She was able to scan them and email them to me. We printed them out and were able to board on Carnival the next morning with the scanned BCs and our IDs. I never leave my carry-on anywhere now!!

Edited by Katie330

A raised seal has not been a requirement on Carnival. It was a statement often stated by cruisers until everyone believed it to be true. Xerox copies of the BC is acceptable.