Cruising without a passport?

kugelette

We are doing a last minute, closed-circuit cruise to the caribbean.

The itinerary is:

Ft Lauderdale > Grand Turk > San Juan > St Thomas > Half Moon Cay > Ft Lauderdale

I had a recent name change and my passport hasn't been updated. Since we're sailing shortly, I'd rather not have to rush to get it updated, and Holland America's CSR assured me that I could simply bring my birth certificate or SS card and driver's license, and I would be fine.

Has anyone done this? I don't want to get down there and be refused entry onto the ship, or to one of the ports. I'm generally leery of advice on important issues from CSRs, because it isn't always accurate...

"Hi, I'm leaving really soon for my cruise and my passport isn't updated. Anyone cruise with a BC and DL?"

80 people: "go get a passport"

:face palm:

Let me get this straight....you ask a question that is complicated and has many variables, then turn around and indicate that 80 people (slight exaggeration but who cares about details) who tried to HELP you answer your question were out of line? Really? You change your first and last name and are bringing a minor or I think you are anyway by another post about a notarized letter than HAL insists on that you think is useless. This is not a yes or no question. You stated you didn't want to "get down there and be refused entry" which is not really as simple as your second quote above implies.

Hope you have fun being right.

Edited by 1of4

In the time we have spent discussing your question, you could have completed a passport application, gone to Post Office to send it overnight or if you live near a passport office, you could have been there and be well on your way to having your passport. We have heard of one or two day turnarounds on getting passports renewed.

Something to think about. We don't know your sail date or location so without those facts, we've done the best we can to help you.

Please do not blame us if you do not have the proper travel documents and are refused boarding.

Good luck. Let us know what happens.

that just about sums it up.;)

Sadly, common sense is not appreciated by some;)

Let me get this straight....you ask a question that is complicated and has many variables, then turn around and indicate that 80 people (slight exaggeration but who cares about details) who tried to HELP you answer your question were out of line? Really? You change your first and last name and are bringing a minor. This is not a yes, no question. You stated you didn't want to "get down there and be refused entry" not really as simple as your second quote above.

Hope you have fun being right.

where is that Like button?

Hopefully the next thread started by the OP is NOT that they were denied boarding.