Increased Laundry prices

HollDoll

This may have already been posted, but I just got off the Noordam this morning. Prices for laundry aboard were $30 per bag, an increase from the $20 per bag, and $135 for the fifteen day cruise, which is $9 per day, as opposed to the $7 per day which it has been in the past. Sorry if this is a duplication.

Interesting you posted this...... my local dry cleaner just raised their prices. Everything costs more these days.

Also to note....everything costs more BUT too bad (these days) companies not increasing pay to match all those increases!:o

On a different note...how are you sail? Been thinking about you and hope things are doing better for you.

Barbara, How kind of you.

I'm as okay as okay can be. Thank you so much for asking. :)

You are certainly correct prices have risen but many salaries have not. It doesn't surprise me HAL seems to be raising laundry prices. On board revenue........

Sail, glad to hear your are "okay as okay can be". Have loved seeing your posts throughout the forum!

I agree, HAL seeking revenue. But since the only other cruiseline we've been on doesn't even have the unlimited laundry I am soooo willing to pay the little bit extra!

Edited by alibabacruisers

It was a transatlantic....the earlier prices were in effect in our last transatlantic a couple years ago.

A couple of years ago.......

Not surprising the prices for lots of things on the ships are higher.

Except how lucky fuel prices have been dropping! That's wonderful. Maybe that will help keep some of the other prices stable?

Doesn't the transatlantic use the European laundry schedule? If so, that would explain why it's $9/day and $30/bag.

We checked for two upcoming Caribbean cruises and it is supposed to be $7/day. I didn't check bag prices.

Of course, if people would rather complain about prices, I completely understand. (I'll have to post a photo of a Wang Wang, beside an order of Crème Brûlée [with a $7 daily bag of clothes in the background.] :D)

Edited by POA1

Doesn't the transatlantic use the European laundry schedule? If so, that would explain why it's $9/day and $30/bag.

We checked for two upcoming Caribbean cruises and it is supposed to be $7/day. I didn't check bag prices.

Of course, if people would rather complain about prices, I completely understand. (I'll have to post a photo of a Wang Wang, beside an order of Crème Brûlée [with a $7 daily bag of clothes in the background.] :D)

Yes, the last TA I was on did indeed use the European pricing. and the one before that as well. (May/2013 and Oct/2011, I believe).

Edited by kazu

However, I prepurchased the unlimited laundry several months ago and paid $105. But the price posted aboard was $135. I think the increase may have occurred very recently.

No, it's not a recent increase. Ship Services tends to quote the $7/day rate. Same thing happened to me in 2013 but the $7/day rate was not honoured onboard. I received a credit for what I paid but was charged the full $9/day rate. It sounds like HAL (onboard) is now honouring what Ship Services says (and charges), which is a good thing.

However, I prepurchased the unlimited laundry several months ago and paid $105. But the price posted aboard was $135. I think the increase may have occurred very recently.

Ah, makes sense now. We did the same, pre-purchased at a lower rate than was being charged onboard. This was 3 months ago on the Eurodam.

We recently returned from a 27 day Alaska and repositioning on the Zuiderdam. We brought wash and wear clothing, rinsed it in the bathroom sink with detergent and hung it on the line in the shower. I threw a few plastic hangers in my luggage which helped a lot. The last time we used HAL's laundry service hubby's golf shirts came back badly faded. I think they use very hot water. In any event, since we are hikers, we had that type clothing available and it worked for us.

We only found out a few days ago that Oosterdam and the other HAL Vista ships does not have a self service laundrette.:( Shame, as usually I quite enjoy my Laundrette chats!

So would some kindly and better in formed soul, please tell me how I can learn more and possible arrange one of the pre-paid laundry packages beforehand??

As I dont seem to be making any headway at all with regarding information or arranging this via the HAL online site.:confused:

My thanks in anticipation.

Peter.

We only found out a few days ago that Oosterdam and the other HAL Vista ships does not have a self service laundrette.:( Shame, as usually I quite enjoy my Laundrette chats!

So would some kindly and better in formed soul, please tell me how I can learn more and possible arrange one of the pre-paid laundry packages beforehand??

As I dont seem to be making any headway at all with regarding information or arranging this via the HAL online site.:confused:

My thanks in anticipation.

Peter.

Unfortunately, one cannot arrange laundry packages on the website. The only way to do it is to call Ship Services in Seattle. Since you live outside of North America, I would suggest that you wait until you are onboard. The form, that comes with the laundry bag, has boxes that you tick off; one for unlimited laundry and one for the by the bag option. The charge will go on your shipboard account. The only issue is if you truly wanted to pre-pay the cost in advance of the cruise.

If you do want to call Ship Services, the number is 206-626-7396. If one is calling from North America, the toll free number is 800-541-1576. They will take your credit card number and charge the cost of the package to your credit card right away. The cost will still be calculated towards your Cruise Day credits, even if purchased in advance of the cruise.

Enjoy your cruise!

Unfortunately, one cannot arrange laundry packages on the website. The only way to do it is to call Ship Services in Seattle. Since you live outside of North America, I would suggest that you wait until you are onboard. The form, that comes with the laundry bag, has boxes that you tick off; one for unlimited laundry and one for the by the bag option. The charge will go on your shipboard account. The only issue is if you truly wanted to pre-pay the cost in advance of the cruise.

If you do want to call Ship Services, the number is 206-626-7396. If one is calling from North America, the toll free number is 800-541-1576. They will take your credit card number and charge the cost of the package to your credit card right away. The cost will still be calculated towards your Cruise Day credits, even if purchased in advance of the cruise.

Enjoy your cruise!

Many thanks indeed, Alberta Quilter!

That explains a lot and is incredibly useful information.

Skype or not, I think we will wait until we get onboard and take it from there.

We are quite 'port intensive' on this cruise, with already 4 pre-booked tours, a 5th still in the offing, and 2 further shore visits planned to catch up with old friends in NZ, as well. :eek:

So the laundry option, pre-paid or not, is suddenly looking the more viable.

My grateful thanks once again.

Peter. :)

Many thanks indeed, Alberta Quilter!

That explains a lot and is incredibly useful information.

Skype or not, I think we will wait until we get onboard and take it from there.

We are quite 'port intensive' on this cruise, with already 4 pre-booked tours, a 5th still in the offing, and 2 further shore visits planned to catch up with old friends in NZ, as well. :eek:

So the laundry option, pre-paid or not, is suddenly looking the more viable.

My grateful thanks once again.

Peter. :)

Glad I could help. Just be careful about which package you choose. On my 14 day cruise to Alaska, we purchased the unlimited laundry and only sent out laundry 4 times. It would have been less expensive to purchase it by the bag, in our case. If there are more than two of you in the cabin, or you plan to send out laundry every day or two, then unlimited is probably the way to go.

If you choose the by the bag option, I find it best to lay out the large items on the bed, roll them up as a bundle and pull (slide) the bag over the bundle. You can stick small items, like socks, etc., into the corners. You can fit quite a bit of laundry into one of those bags!

Whichever option you choose, you won't be able to send out laundry for the last couple of days of the cruise because they can't guarantee you'll get it back in time to pack it (and they're preparing for turnaround day).

One's time is too short to do laundry while on vacation!

I just finished a 10 day cruise on the Zuiderdam a week ago. The per bag rate was $20 and the unlimited was $70. The turnaround time was never more than 24 hours, even though they don't promise that. I was satisfied with the quality of the laundry.

Glad I could help. Just be careful about which package you choose. On my 14 day cruise to Alaska, we purchased the unlimited laundry and only sent out laundry 4 times. It would have been less expensive to purchase it by the bag, in our case. If there are more than two of you in the cabin, or you plan to send out laundry every day or two, then unlimited is probably the way to go.

If you choose the by the bag option, I find it best to lay out the large items on the bed, roll them up as a bundle and pull (slide) the bag over the bundle. You can stick small items, like socks, etc., into the corners. You can fit quite a bit of laundry into one of those bags!

Whichever option you choose, you won't be able to send out laundry for the last couple of days of the cruise because they can't guarantee you'll get it back in time to pack it (and they're preparing for turnaround day).

One's time is too short to do laundry while on vacation!

Thanks again for the second reply, and the additional 'insider' tips. Brilliant!

Funnily enough I was quietly considering those options last night, and came to the conclusion that those last few days of the cruise would be rather a waste.

There's only the 2 of us to consider.

So pretty much now made up my mind that we will go the $20 dollar bag route, (probably on days 2, 6 & 10). As we will already have 4 days worth of clothes for the laundry, once we get onboard, with our days travelling plus and the 3 days in Sydney beforehand.

I think I will take a second, less ornate 'formal' shirt with me too, just to cover whatever number of formals nights we have, as it can be worn equally as well with a tie & blazer, as with a bow tie and tux.

Krgds.

Peter.