Dramamine or Bonine

Anubi

I get deathly seasick. I can be on a boat dock, look in the water and get queasy. When I became a scuba instructor and had to lead tours I had to find something to let me tolerate boats and dive. Many medications do not mix with the increase of pressure when diving. I discovered ginger pills. They don't make you sleepy, increase your blood pressure or require a prescription. I have used ginger on really rough trips with 110 ft boats and NEVER hurled. If you can't find them at a drug store try GNC. I swear by them.

Bonine works very well for me, and I can get sea-sick on a porch swing! We buy it when we are in the States, either just over the border for the day, or in Ft. Lauderdale prior to a cruise. Start taking it a day before the cruise. It is one pill a day, and if you notice any drowsiness from it just take it at night as you'll be sleeping anyway.

Bonine for me, too.

Pcsunlover: hi from a fellow Michigan MSer!:) I sure look forward to my winter cruises; nice to have warmth and sunshine during those cold, snowy, cloudy days!

Hi! I'm sorry you're dealing with this horribly unpredictable disease too. We've been cruising the caribbean every March since 2006. It's our reward for surviving another cold, snowy, winter. I can't handle too much activity, especially in the heat, so we mainly enjoy the beaches on the islands and the pools on the ship. Gotta keep moving!:)

I've never been seasick, but my youngest son really has been. This was before he knew what seasickness was. "I think I have the flu, mom." :D

My husband and son both have found that Bonine doesn't make them as tired as Dramamine. One thing to remember though - take it BEFORE you start to feel seasick. Once you're seasick, it's too late IME.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

Being Canadian I usually use Gravol for seasickness but I have read that one of the above seasick remedies is much better...I just don't remember where I read it or which remedy is the best one. :o Could someone please refresh my memory? Thanks.

bonine is the pill to take AKA meclizine but cannot be bought in Canada any more

it has saved my husband on so many trips can,t recommend it enough

The last cruise I was on hit some really rough water and the acupuncture therapist on board told me that if you eat a piece of ginger every day for 4-6 weeks before your cruise, you'll never get seasick. I'm trying this for our December cruise but will bring Bonine along as well. Careful with when you take the ginger though - it's a stimulant and if you take it in the evenings, you may have problems getting to sleep.

The OP is in Canada. You can buy the patches - Transderm Scop - over the counter in Canada. I am like you and get carsick on winding roads if I'm not the driver. The patch works wonderfully for me. I've been in some pretty rough seas (on my first ever cruise!) and I didn't get sick at all. I am a firm believer in the patch.

DW swears by the patch . After one bad experience without , she insists on Transderm.

They come 2 to a package which last 3 to 5 days each . Costco sells them cheap at

their pharmacy without a prescription (next to the 222's :D).

DW swears by the patch . After one bad experience without , she insists on Transderm.

They come 2 to a package which last 3 to 5 days each . Costco sells them cheap at

their pharmacy without a prescription (next to the 222's :D).

I totally agree!! The patch works like a charm for me as well....but lately, I have had such bad side effect (dry mouth/blurry vision) that I can't enjoy my vacation:(....it was always like this but only recently. So, am convinced to try Bonine and/or ginger pills. I have no confident with the wrist band, well for now, lol....:D

Question to those of you who use ginger pills or patches: do these need to get started before the cruise, or one can start if and when the sea gets rough on as needed basis? I read that Bonine is the one to take prior to the cruise. The thing is, I have never been seasick on a cruise, but we are going to Hawaii (crossing Pacific) and I read on this board that first couple days can be rough. I don't want to take something ahead of time if it's not necessary.

Question to those of you who use ginger pills or patches: do these need to get started before the cruise, or one can start if and when the sea gets rough on as needed basis? I read that Bonine is the one to take prior to the cruise. The thing is, I have never been seasick on a cruise, but we are going to Hawaii (crossing Pacific) and I read on this board that first couple days can be rough. I don't want to take something ahead of time if it's not necessary.

I've never use Bonine, so I can't comment on that, but as for the transderm patch, I typically put it on the evening before I go to bed so my body can adjust during my sleep. One patch lasts about 3 days so you would only change a new patch every 3 days. It works really well, I've used it for 4-5 years now. However, recently I've had a lot of side effects that am not too thrilled about so I will be trying the Bonine. I too will be cruising to Hawaii from L.A. and from what I've heard, the two sea days out will be rough....I will be prepared:D. Looks like you'll be gettin on the day we disembark! Good luck!:)

Edited by sippin-time

I am a Bonie (less drowsy) user when necessary. I have not needed to use it on most of our cruises. I do, however, always bring a box for those just in case times.:D I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

I have picked up some for our Canadian friends on our various roll calls. Check your roll call, perhaps someone will do the same for you.:):)

I have tried a wristband that was guaranteed to work and it didn't. :( So this time out, I'll try the Bonine.

The band may not work for others, I'm not sure, but it's possible that you weren't wearing it correctly, at least according to the mariner who ran the Lulu Lobster Boat excursion in Bar Harbor, ME. He passed out about 40 pairs of the wristband and nobody got sick, even with the kinda rough seas we had last month. He was quite specific that the band needed to be placed 3 finger-widths above the wrist to work correctly. Nobody got sick on the boat so at least it worked for all of us. When we got back on the Royal we were talking to a pair of ladies who were both wearing the bands right down on their wrist and said they weren't working. My wife noticed where they had their bands and moved them up the 3 finger-widths and we continued to talk. Sure enough about 20-30 minutes later both of them said they felt better. Now, Captain John an the Lulu said that you had to do it (wear them correctly) before you felt queasy or it wouldn't work. So did it work for them or did they just think it was working? I have no idea, but you might want to give it another try if you didn't have the bands on correctly.

Never can tell! :D

Tom

Transdermal scopolomine should never be the first line of defense for sea sickness. It is a strong drug with annoying and potentially serious side effects. Ginger can also be dangerous in people with blood clotting problems. Bonnie (meclazine) is safe, with zero side effects, and is very effective.

• 3 years later...
I prefer ginger chews. You can order them on amazon.

I learn to scuba in 1990 and worked my way up to instructor trainer. I swear by ginger. I get deathly sea sick. I take ginger capsules from GNC but the chews are great too. Some people like candied ginger. What I like is that you will be less likely to have a reaction to natural products.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My problem with ginger is that you cannot tell how much of a dose to take.

For all of your who are comparing Bonine and Dramamine you should know that they contain the SAME generic medicine called Meclazine.

Meclazine is the generic that you would get if you went to the doc on the ship to ask for anti seasick meds.

It is the ingredient found in Dramamine II the NON drowsy kind and not the original one. It is also found in Bonine.

For those here in the USA using the generic is much less expensive!!

For all of your who are comparing Bonine and Dramamine you should know that they contain the SAME generic medicine called Meclazine.

Meclazine is the generic that you would get if you went to the doc on the ship to ask for anti seasick meds.

It is the ingredient found in Dramamine II the NON drowsy kind and not the original one. It is also found in Bonine.

Dramamine gives me palpitations. If I find that I haven’t taken enough ginger to help, I just take some more. It’s a food product. Or eat sushi! To each his own.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

bonine and dramamine are NOT the same medication. dramamine is benedry, diphenhydramine, with something else that is not meclazine.

dramamine will actually give me anaphlaxsis. lucky me i'm allergic to the allergy medication:/

mezclazine i haven't tried yet. i also use ginger and apply liberally since i'm not going to od on ginger.

In the Bonine / meclizine crowd.....works great and no side effects. (Dramamine has too many side effects.) We start right before the ship leaves port and take one every afternoon. If things get really rough we bring along ginger chews...pretty much instant relief to bridge any gaps.

IF you read my post correctly you would have noticed that I said that Dramamine II-the NON sleepy one has meclazine in it . NOT the original Dramamine which had the dimenhydrinate in it.

At this point I buy the generic Meclazine which is the same ingredient as in Bonine. There is no point in paying for the brand name.

To those who take ginger -the idea is to prevent a person from feeling ill because once you feel ill it is harder to stop the feeling.

How much do you take of the ginger?? I don't want to feel ill and then need more.

IF you read my post correctly you would have noticed that I said that Dramamine II-the NON sleepy one has meclazine in it . NOT the original Dramamine which had the dimenhydrinate in it.

At this point I buy the generic Meclazine which is the same ingredient as in Bonine. There is no point in paying for the brand name.

To those who take ginger -the idea is to prevent a person from feeling ill because once you feel ill it is harder to stop the feeling.

How much do you take of the ginger?? I don't want to feel ill and then need more.

What you said was "For all of your who are comparing Bonine and Dramamine you should know that they contain the SAME generic medicine called Meclazine."

Makes it sound like Dramamine has the same ingredient as Bonine.

Yes, later you said "It is the ingredient found in Dramamine II the NON drowsy kind and not the original one."

But, by then, the original statement was already in play.

Yes, Dramamine II is the same as Bonine, which is the same as generic meclizine.

@Shmoo

Please read line 7 here of my original post which explains about DramamineII

I used both Bonine and the Sea Bands on our trip to Hawaii last year. Aside from the first night, which was very rough, they worked great - at least, I assume they worked..... grin.....because I had no issues but I wasn't about to tempt fate by NOT using them every day.

@Shmoo

Please read line 7 here of my original post which explains about DramamineII

it isn't line 7 that is the problem, it is line 2 where you state unequivocally that Dramamine, with no qualifiers that you specifically mean dramamine 2, is the same as bonine.

i will conceded, i didn't even realize there was a second formulation of dramamine since the first one is hazardous to my health so i avoid the brand.

basically people need to read the labels and compare the side effects themselves.

Edited by vampiress