Soot Problem for Aft balconies on Royal?

tango223

I have read in a few places that there is a soot problem if you have an aft balcony on the Royal Princess. Can anyone confirm that? I'm worried about my booking an aft suite for a cruise next year. Should I cancel and move to a middle suite?

Thank you in advance for any clarification/confirmation.:confused:

We were on the Royal on Oct 11th for the BVE. We specifically went to the aft on Dolphin Deck, because we were interested in booking a cabin there. The steward happend to be there and he told us that engineering had been aboard all week and that the problem had been fixed.

I guess we would need to hear from someone who sailed in an aft cabin after Oct 11th to confirm. :)

I've read "ALL" the threads on the topic (there's quite a few building up now), but am still vague as to whether the problem is actually solved on the Royal. I'm reading to many conflicting reviews, or guesses. Also still vague if the modification to the Regal actually worked, or just minimised, or didn't work.

On my next cruise on Princess, we decided not to risk it and changed our booking from Aft to Penthouse suite.

I did a search, but there were only a few for the Royal Princess and there was one comment that led you to believe the problem has been solved. If anyone has sailed post Oct 11, please reply ...I don't really want to move as this is our first aft experience...but then again....I don't want it to be a waste of money too.

Appreciate everyone's help.:confused:

I did a search, but there were only a few for the Royal Princess and there was one comment that led you to believe the problem has been solved. If anyone has sailed post Oct 11, please reply ...I don't really want to move as this is our first aft experience...but then again....I don't want it to be a waste of money too.

Appreciate everyone's help.:confused:

My parents just got back from the Royal today and they had an aft corner Owners Suite on Caribe and they reported little to no issue. The steward cleaned multiple times a day and they only saw a minute amount of soot on one day. Now there are more then just a few factors that may make it more or less. Wind direction and the fuel being burned to name a few. They considered it a non-issue.

Edited by Parvatiiv

Just returned today from 10 days aboard Royal in aft cabin B738. Minor soot on 1 day that was easily brushed away with a towel. Enjoyed room service breakfast on the balcony after which the cabin steward hosed things down but that really wasn't necessary.

Have sailed many times on other ships in aft balcony cabins and would not consider this anything out of the ordinary.

Hardly an issue to be overly concerned about.

I just got off the Royal and we were in the last cabin before the aft corner suite. I asked the occupants about the soot and they also said they only noticed a

minimal amount one day and it was not a problem.

Was it on Caribe? It might have been my parents. :p