Please help me decide..what would you do?

Biz64

ok I realize this has probably been asked before, but I will ask anyway. My wife and I are trying to decide between two cruises, both sailing same date in January between the Oasis and the Carnival Breeze. We are going with our three children, two boys ages 8 and 6, and a girl age 4.

A little background…My wife and I have sailed Princess about 10 years ago, we did a Mediterranean cruise on the Carnival Legend a year ago, and we just took the kids on a 4 night Disney Dream cruise this past May. We enjoyed all of them, however the Disney was our favorite and the kids loved it!

What is really important for this cruise is that our kids have plenty to do and have as much fun as they did on the Disney cruise.

The cruises…Breeze is ocean view cabin on 1st or 2nd deck that holds all 5 of us(they don't have balcony that sleeps five) for about $2680 for 8 nights.

Oasis is a balcony that sleeps five (not family balcony, which is bigger but sold out) for about $4770 with $100 on board credit. W prefer balcony, but the Breeze is $2000 cheaper…and thats why we are having a hard time deciding lol. We always wanted to try the Oasis, and I think thats a pretty good price for it, but don't know if it's $2000 better than the Breeze…especially for the kids :confused:

So if you have cruised both, especially with kids, I would love to hear from you. I will post this on the Carnival board also. Thanks!

My personal feeling is that Royal prices are unreasonably high right now, and I would find it difficult to justify the $2K difference.

I agree. We have Adventure booked for 2700 in March 2016. Less a 225 Diamond discount. I priced it yesterday and it is 4,000 (three passengers). They are pricing things at an absurd rate right now. Who cares what OBC they're offerering:rolleyes:

For kids that age, they should have a great time regardless. Can't see spending an extra 2,000 for Oasis. Kids that young won't remember or be that impressed with all the "bells and whistles" that Oasis offers.

Heck, we've been on 9 RCCL cruises and still have no ambition to see Oasis or Allure!:D

We traveled last year in an Oasis D1 on the hump with our 12 year old and 10 year old. The cabin was uncomfortably small and the room service was slow so half the day was spent negotiating around the sleeper sofa.

We try not to spend too much time in the cabin so didn't complain.

I think it would be too crowded with a third child.

I have been on 53 cruises so far (I am 51) and the Allure (sister ship to the Oasis) was out last cruise and I have to say IT WAS THE BEST CRUISE BEST SHIP IN MY LIFE!!

Too try to help you I have a few questions but I have to say 2k is quite a difference of money in your pocket BUT I need you to answer a few questions so I can answer your question more correctly: I also was torn on the Breeze or the Oasis for next year and there was a huge price difference between the two, but as you see below I could not hesitate to choose the Oasis its the most amazing ship.

Questions:

1- Will you be getting the liquor package or any beverage packages (I have reason for asking)

2- Is it important or do you dine in the specialty restaurants and if so how many evenings do you think you will?

3- At home, when you go out to dinner in a restaurant what type of places do you generally eat at? Do you dine at 4/5 star restaurants?

4- Do you leave your kids in the camp on a ship or do you do everything with them?

5- Do you feel that your children may take a rest/nap during the day?

6- Do you leave your children in the cabin at night to sleep and leave your cabin or check on them from time to time?

7- I assume you will be flying a day before the cruise and highly suggest that especially during the month of January when the weather can be bad even if its not bad in your area the plane you taking could be coming from another area, I highly suggest flying in at least a day earlier...is it less costly to fly from Miami or Ft. Lauderdale and which airport do you prefer? (I hate Miami but thats me)

8- Are shows important to you?

When I hear back from you with the answers I can give you my advice which will be more accurate as I don't know you.

$2000 is a lot of money to save but first I would make sure you are comparing prices for the same category of room. Ocean view against a balcony will almost always price out cheaper. How about pricing an ocean view on oasis and see what that comes out to.

Also, did you check prices for the Allure? It's possible that one could be cheaper than Oasis since it hasn't gone in to dry dock yet like Oasis has.

I haven't sailed on the oasis class yet, but from everything I have seen and read they can't be beat.

Edited by readytolose

I have been on 53 cruises so far (I am 51) and the Allure (sister ship to the Oasis) was out last cruise and I have to say IT WAS THE BEST CRUISE BEST SHIP IN MY LIFE!!

Too try to help you I have a few questions but I have to say 2k is quite a difference of money in your pocket BUT I need you to answer a few questions so I can answer your question more correctly: I also was torn on the Breeze or the Oasis for next year and there was a huge price difference between the two, but as you see below I could not hesitate to choose the Oasis its the most amazing ship.

Questions:

1- Will you be getting the liquor package or any beverage packages (I have reason for asking) No, my wife doesn't drink and I only have a few drinks a day.

2- Is it important or do you dine in the specialty restaurants and if so how many evenings do you think you will? Not really, maybe we would try the italian on the Oasis.

3- At home, when you go out to dinner in a restaurant what type of places do you generally eat at? Do you dine at 4/5 star restaurants? We eat at nice places once every couple of months or so, otherwise just basic chain stuff( Outback etc.)

4- Do you leave your kids in the camp on a ship or do you do everything with them? On the Disney cruise we left them once for a couple of hours, we generally enjoy spending time with them. But if the cruise was longer they would have stayed more as they really liked it.

5- Do you feel that your children may take a rest/nap during the day? Nope!

6- Do you leave your children in the cabin at night to sleep and leave your cabin or check on them from time to time? Never…my wife would kill me! lol

7- I assume you will be flying a day before the cruise and highly suggest that especially during the month of January when the weather can be bad even if its not bad in your area the plane you taking could be coming from another area, I highly suggest flying in at least a day earlier...is it less costly to fly from Miami or Ft. Lauderdale and which airport do you prefer? (I hate Miami but thats me) We would fly into FLL as its cheaper than flying into Miami

8- Are shows important to you? Somewhat, depending if its something we could take the kids to. If it were just my wife and I we would go to most of the shows and we enjoy the stand up comics.

When I hear back from you with the answers I can give you my advice which will be more accurate as I don't know you.

hope that helps!

$2000 is a lot of money to save but first I would make sure you are comparing prices for the same category of room. Ocean view against a balcony will almost always price out cheaper. How about pricing an ocean view on oasis and see what that comes out to.

Also, did you check prices for the Allure? It's possible that one could be cheaper than Oasis since it hasn't gone in to dry dock yet like Oasis has.

I haven't sailed on the oasis class yet, but from everything I have seen and read they can't be beat.

The ocean view on the Oasis is only a couple hundred dollars cheaper than the balcony. We really prefer the balcony, unfortunately the only way to get a balcony on the Breeze is two rooms and the price jumps to about $3700.

The Jan 31st Oasis sailing is the cheapest for a balcony room for 5 for either the Allure or Oasis during Jan and Feb. Pretty good price for balcony for 5 people I think?

As much as I love Oasis and am a huge cheerleader for Oasis Class ships, for $2000 difference, I would take the Princess cruise and put the $2000 difference toward the children's college funds or save toward another cruise.

Oasis Class ships are amazing, but I don't know if they are $2000 more amazing.

The other cruise is Carnival Breeze, not the Princess. :)

Ni Biz64 here is my view of your situation:

Since your wife doesn't drink and you don't drink much either, your saving money on not buying the drink package which is around 55-67 a person a day depending upon which package you purchase = your saving money here

Do try Giovanni's it was our favorite and has a very diversified menu, since your may only dine at one specialty restaurant again your saving money this cruise

You mention you do dine at nice restaurants a couple of times and you also dine at places such as Outback...with this being said, it is necessary you have a better variety/selection/quality when it comes to food which means Oasis.

Both RC and Carnival your daughter will not be able to be with the boys but maybe thats good she be with girls in her camp too....but what I like about RC is for her camp she is in ages 3-5 and Carnival she be with ages 2-5 and 2 may be a bit too young for her to be around and they are more lets say work for the counselors and maybe at the age of 2 be not as sociable to your 4 year old?? I personally if my kids wanted to do the camp choose RC but both are wonderful. I would also check into baby sitting services see what the cost is so that perhaps one or two evenings you and your wife can enjoy some of the entertainment that is provided in the evenings.

Since none of your children will take a nap a balcony and you never leave the kids alone in the cabin, the balcony be nice to be out on and it also gives you more room during the daytime too. You can sit on the balcony while your wife gets the kids changed/ready I always find the balconies to feel more spacious perhaps because its much more lighter and you have a large window and slider door.

Yes, flying into FLL for me also in Florida (yes I fly to south florida lol) is cheaper and hotels are less costly too and the airport is much easier to get in and out and navigate around and its a lot less confusing. The pier is only 3 miles away from the airport too!

I always took my kids to the shows when they were your kids age (of course they have to behave but if you feel they may not give it a try just sit in the back where you can leave if you have to). All shows are pretty much geared for families excluding the adult comedy show.

So just a few more things:

I prefer the RC windjammer over the lido cafe that Carnival has when it comes to all the buffets, the food is more upscale on RC than on Carnival with a larger variety and selection of foods. Both offer complimentary ice cream machines for ice cream. You will find more places to go and see on the Oasis than on Carnival, I think there is more to see and do on the Oasis for sure! I love the pools on RC they are fresh water unlike Carnivals salt water smaller pools. RC remains to have a live band in the daytime out near the main pool where Carnival has a dj the past three years.

The Oasis has more for children such as the merry go round and the boardwalk area where they can get cotton candy, face painting, I love the aqua outdoor theatre, there are more nicer and prettier places to sit and relax on the Oasis than the Breeze.

I love Carnival and continue to go on Carnival but not as our "main cruise" each year its an extra cruise or two we like to do just to get away. There is no comparison as to the entertainment/shows and food RC blows Carnival away in a heartbeat! The kids will also enjoy the ice skating show its always wonderful.

Is the Oasis is worth the extra 2k, your five people....Another thing, you can do it now you never know whether you can do it another time, the ship is amazing and I been on 53 cruises in my life (I am 51) and the Allure was the best ship of my life so great that we booked up the Oasis for next year...we were considering the Breeze also but comparing what the Oasis has vs Breeze there is no comparison!! Whatever you decide you have a wonderful time but I think Oasis may be more money but you go into Ft. Lauderdale and you have a balcony and there is so much more to see and do. I hope I helped???

Edited by lyndamr

Not for nothing but the CCL Breeze is there newest best ship and at $2000 less, I would take that in a heart beat. Go read the reviews about it.

Your kids will be loving life and you as well with $2K in ya pocket!

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2

Hey limoguy. Don't be running back to the Carnival boards to tell your friends we were talking nice about Carnival ship over here on the Royal boards. We have a reputation to maintain don't you know. :D

I've done both cruise lines. I'm looking forward to sailing Allure in Jan. but for $2000 savings, I would do Breeze in a heartbeat. The stage shows are better on RC, but not $2000 better. I find the food to very comparable. There are certain items that I prefer on both lines. The kids will love Breeze. Carnival has a great kids program. You can't go wrong with either choice. But you will be $2000 lighter with one.:D

Edited by Mouse's Shadow

The ocean view on the Oasis is only a couple hundred dollars cheaper than the balcony. We really prefer the balcony, unfortunately the only way to get a balcony on the Breeze is two rooms and the price jumps to about $3700.

The Jan 31st Oasis sailing is the cheapest for a balcony room for 5 for either the Allure or Oasis during Jan and Feb. Pretty good price for balcony for 5 people I think?

I haven't cruised these particular ships (yet) but would go with Carnival with that price difference! On the Breeze, are the 2 rooms you mentioned for $3700 connected? If your heart is set on a balcony, then I would consider the 2 rooms since it's still a $1000 savings. I know your kids are young, so wondered if they were connecting.... lots more room and 2 bathrooms!

carnival breezes oceanview cabins have 2 sinks one room with a shower and sink the other with a toilet and sink which helps getting ready for things. Also the breezes cabin will mostly likely be a little bit larger than oasis stateroom. Just another thing to keep in mind. there is also a tub in the breeze oceanview.

Edited by Freedom2014