Cooking Class

Moerin78

A few years ago we took a hands on cooking class during a cruise on the Noordam, does anybody know if this might be available on the Nieux Amsterdam. We are cruising Nov 30th. I think there were only maybe ten of us plus the chief, we made an entire meals then got to eat it! It was was a really fun experience.

A few years ago we took a hands on cooking class during a cruise on the Noordam, does anybody know if this might be available on the Nieux Amsterdam. We are cruising Nov 30th. I think there were only maybe ten of us plus the chief, we made an entire meals then got to eat it! It was was a really fun experience.

They were still having cooking classes on the Westerdam in July. I plan to take the classes on the NA in December.

Unfortunately, passengers don't have health certificates and can no longer eat what they cook. The PG staff cooks the portions that are served to the students.

It is interesting to compare what we make in class to what it was supposed to be when the professionals execute the recipes.

Edited by Crew News

They were still having cooking classes on the Westerdam in July. I plan to take the classes on the NA in December.

Unfortunately, passengers don't have health certificates and can no longer eat what they cook. The PG staff cooks the portions that are served to the students.

It is interesting to compare what we make in class to what it was supposed to be when the professionals execute the recipes.

What does the health certificate entail?

The lack of health certificates just means that the passengers get to cook in the class as before, but they no longer get a chance to eat the food they prepared--they eat food prepared for them by the cooks in the galley. It's still a fun experience. I've done the class both ways. I even signed DH to do it with me on our last cruise on the Westerdam. He did not want to do it, but I let him know there wouldn't be any pressure to do more than he was comfortable doing. He's not a cook. He had a blast. I won't have to beg him to do it again.

Edited by geoherb

Hope you are able to get a cooking class.

Some ships, especially on 7 day cruises, don't bother.

Otherwise, do go to the Front Desk or the Culinary Arts Center the day of embarkation and sign up. Sometimes the class(es) books up fast.

We have had the chef make the food for the Pinnacle lunch and sometimes, it is just the regular Pinnacle menu.

Either way, you can't lose!

Edited by SilvertoGold

Can you sign up before the start of the cruise? I kinda remember we signed up right after boarding but I'm not sure where?

Thanks

I don't think you can because it is up to the ship when and if they will do a class.

Really best to hit the Front Desk right after you board. They have the schedule and you can decide right then and there.

Edited by SilvertoGold

......He did not want to do it, but I let him know there wouldn't be any pressure to do more than he was comfortable doing. He's not a cook. He had a blast. I won't have to beg him to do it again.

I took one class with a multigenerational family of eight where they exchanged flour and chocolate. It was hilarious.

The cooking techniques learned are great. Skinning and fileting salmon, flipping crepes, creating garnishes, poaching perfect eggs, knife skills, flavoring, pastry hints, etc. in addition to an apron with chefs hat make the cost very reasonable.

It seems the issue is preparing food for others. It must be noted that the instructor will not slap your hand if you grab a nibble of what you are preparing.

It seems the issue is preparing food for others. It must be noted that the instructor will not slap your hand if you grab a nibble of what you are preparing.

I had the same experience. The chef said he couldn't allow us to taste our food but when he left at the end mentioned we could sneak some bites before our PG lunch

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Recently on the Noordam they didn't have the info about the classes ready when we got on board, we had to go back to the office after 6 pm. We did so, but ended up not doing a class. On the 15 day cruise, they had two classes...one being on the last day.

Sailing on the Oosterdam, for 36 days, next April. This cooking class sounds right up my alley. Knowing that they will have more then one class during the sailing helps a lot. Can anyone tell me what types/kinds of food your usually prepare? Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Sign up for the cooking class as soon as you can as the 5-star and President Members Club Mariners receive 1 free cooking class per cruise.

Thank you so much for the heads up. I will head to the Front Desk when we get on the ship.

Sailing on the Oosterdam, for 36 days, next April. This cooking class sounds right up my alley. Knowing that they will have more then one class during the sailing helps a lot. Can anyone tell me what types/kinds of food your usually prepare? Thanks for any insight you can provide.

The class prepares a complete meal: appetizer/salad, entree, and dessert. Most of my classes prepared items on the menu in the MDR that night.

Before we were stopped from eating our own creations by the change in health certificate enforcement, it was common to have lots of food left over and it was taken back to our staterooms. On one of those occasions, I rode the elevator to my stateroom with a plate of warm apple crepes topped with three inches of whipped cream. When asked by my fellow elevator mates where I had obtained the fragrant dessert, I proudly told them that it was of my own doing but available on the evening MDR menu. We have also been allowed on some occasions to take the partially filled bottles of wine back to our stateroom for consumption.

Edited by Crew News

The class prepares a complete meal: appetizer/salad, entree, and dessert. Most of my classes prepared items on the menu in the MDR that night.

Before we were stopped from eating our own creations by the change in health certificate enforcement, it was common to have lots of food left over and it was taken back to our staterooms. On one of those occasions, I rode the elevator to my stateroom with a plate of warm apple crepes topped with three inches of whipped cream. When asked by my fellow elevator mates where I had obtained the fragrant dessert, I proudly told them that it was of my own doing but available on the evening MDR menu. We have also been allowed on some occasions to take the partially filled bottles of wine back to our stateroom for consumption.

Three inches of whipped cream? I think that would have me off my dinner.

We did 2 cooking classes while aboard the Rotterdam this past April. As mentioned, things have changed considerably from prior cruises / cooking class participation IMO.

Yeah, you get an apron, some recipe cards, and a lunch with wine at the PG following the class that serves the 'prepared menu'. However, just standing around looking at the chef do a demo or having one or two folks slice an onion, add a spice or plate a salad isn't memorable to me.

When boarding I did sign up for all the 5 classes available for the cruise (it was a 28 day TP cruise) but canceled the remaining classes after the first two classes. Not worth the time or money IMHO.

You'd be better off getting Julia Child or Jacque P. DVD's from your local library and having a 'get together' with friends (everyone preps / brings something)/ Have fun.

Be well & best of luck

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob

We did 2 cooking classes while aboard the Rotterdam this past April. As mentioned, things have changed considerably from prior cruises / cooking class participation IMO.

Yeah, you get an apron, some recipe cards, and a lunch with wine at the PG following the class that serves the 'prepared menu'. However, just standing around looking at the chef do a demo or having one or two folks slice an onion, add a spice or plate a salad isn't memorable to me.

When boarding I did sign up for all the 5 classes available for the cruise (it was a 28 day TP cruise) but canceled the remaining classes after the first two classes. Not worth the time or money IMHO.

You'd be better off getting Julia Child or Jacque P. DVD's from your local library and having a 'get together' with friends (everyone preps / brings something)/ Have fun.

Be well & best of luck

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob

These cooking classes vary from ship to ship, chef to chef.

We have found that some chefs aren't that comfortable doing the classes, some are. Some prefer to do the demos only.

We have had some really good classes. Mani on the Zaandam and Zuiderdam was sensational.

Then there was the one where the Culinary Arts Hostess said, "There's the food, see if you need anything else"....."No? Have fun" and walked out, only to appear in 45 minutes to take us to the Pinnacle. The chef never showed up at all.

We made a Rustic Chicken Provencal (Country French Chicken Stew). It was easy, wonderful, and delicious and I still make it often here at home. :)

Thank you so much for the information. The more I read, the more I look forward to this experience.