Upgraded again

shredie

This is getting ridiculous. Got another upgrade today on a two-week South America cruise. We were booked in Aloha 7xx (somewhere near the stairs) on the Golden and have been upgraded to a mid ship Caribe (both balconies.) I decided I'd keep this one since the bigger balcony is nice on a longer cruise, and, even though it's across from the laundromat, you people have assured me it won't be all that noisy. This is my fourth upgrade, two in the last year. On my last three cruises, I was upgraded once (which I didn't take) and offered an upsell to a suite (also did not take.) I don't know if the upgrade fairy has taken a liking to DH or what. :) In spite of this, I still have no idea how the fairy works or what triggers an upsell offer. And I'm still just lil ole Platinum.

This is getting ridiculous. Got another upgrade today on a two-week South America cruise...In spite of this, I still have no idea how the fairy works or what triggers an upsell offer. And I'm still just lil ole Platinum.

Good for you! So much for the rumor that only newbies get upgrades. I think that there are so many factors that go into upgrades, that they are impossible to predict. Not sure if it is merely coincidence, but every time I have booked an OV on Princess I have been upgraded, but never when I've booked a balcony. But then you got upgraded on a balcony!

Edited by Ryndam2002

Good for you! So much for the rumor that only newbies get upgrades. I think that there are so many factors that go into upgrades, that they are impossible to predict. Not sure if it is merely coincidence, but every time I have booked an OV on Princess I have been upgraded, but never when I've booked a balcony.

DH pointed out that all of upgrades have been from Aloha to Caribe balconies. If that's a pattern, then I sure don't get it. When I've booked a Caribe balcony, no one has tried to move me from it.

DH pointed out that all of upgrades have been from Aloha to Caribe balconies. If that's a pattern, then I sure don't get it. When I've booked a Caribe balcony, no one has tried to move me from it.

That IS interesting, b/c on many cruises I have watched, the Caribe balconies are often the first to sell out. Perhaps the early Caribe bookers are being upsold to minis?

This is getting ridiculous. Got another upgrade today on a two-week South America cruise. We were booked in Aloha 7xx (somewhere near the stairs) on the Golden and have been upgraded to a mid ship Caribe (both balconies.) I decided I'd keep this one since the bigger balcony is nice on a longer cruise, and, even though it's across from the laundromat, you people have assured me it won't be all that noisy. This is my fourth upgrade, two in the last year. On my last three cruises, I was upgraded once (which I didn't take) and offered an upsell to a suite (also did not take.) I don't know if the upgrade fairy has taken a liking to DH or what. :) In spite of this, I still have no idea how the fairy works or what triggers an upsell offer. And I'm still just lil ole Platinum.

We had balcony on Caribe opposite laundromat. No noise at all. Great location.

This is only speculation on my part, but, I would venture that if the cruise isn't selling to Princess' expectation at a point in time they will offer upgrades/up-sells to get people in more expensive cabins. This way they can get the less expensive cabins back in inventory and they can offer them at some kind of discount for new bookings. The other thing could be that they have oversold a lower category of cabin at a guarantee rate and need to have some of those cabins back to cover the demand.

You need to go out and buy a lottery ticket.....:):):)

Bob

If you ever find out how you get an upgrade offer I would love to know! I've never been offered an opportunity :-(

Edited by 6pack

All I can say it "it must be nice". In 26 Princess cruises I have only ever had one offer of an upgrade, and that was within category (from the lowest to the highest).

Loyalty sure does not seem to give one a better chance to get upgraded to a better category!!

I went with an inside cabin on my upcoming cruise, also picked my cabin I see the fare is now drastically low. When I check my cruise planner I keep waiting for my cabin number to change. Could they do an upgrade and I just find out when I check in? Also if that would be the case , what happens to my bags with my luggage tags? Of course this is all wishful thinking. Also would they sail with empty balcony cabins??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have only been upgrade once, years ago, when we had 2 mid-ship oceanview cabins side by side, one being for the kids. We had specifically requested "no upgrades" because on this. About a week before the cruise we received a call from our Princess Vacation Planner saying she realized that we had "no upgrades" marked on our booking, but would we be interested in 2 mid-ship side by side balcony cabins. After careful thought we took the offer. This was the first time our kids were in a balcony and since then have always taken side by side balcony cabins and marked them "no upgrade". No upgrade fairy since!!!

Twice in the past they have tried to "upgrade" us from Caribe to Aloha. Dummy us we took the bait on the first "downgrade" from Caribe to Aloha. Biggest mistake ever as our cabin was directly under MUTS! They tried to move us on our last cruise from Caribe to Aloha and we called them and told them to leave us where we are. For now on, I state "no upgrade unless it's to the Owner's Suite."

Twice in the past they have tried to "upgrade" us from Caribe to Aloha. Dummy us we took the bait on the first "downgrade" from Caribe to Aloha. Biggest mistake ever as our cabin was directly under MUTS! They tried to move us on our last cruise from Caribe to Aloha and we called them and told them to leave us where we are. For now on, I state "no upgrade unless it's to the Owner's Suite."

Oh wow - that was certainly NOT an upgrade!

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Forums mobile app

This is only speculation on my part, but, I would venture that if the cruise isn't selling to Princess' expectation at a point in time they will offer upgrades/up-sells to get people in more expensive cabins. This way they can get the less expensive cabins back in inventory and they can offer them at some kind of discount for new bookings. The other thing could be that they have oversold a lower category of cabin at a guarantee rate and need to have some of those cabins back to cover the demand.

Your speculation has also always been our supposition.

This is what Princess used to do with complementary upgrades.

Then Princess discovered that passengers were willing to pay for what used to be free.

There still are complementary upgrades, but less of them now.