Tight Budget in Cayman?

ffmack

Does anyone have any ideas for some cheaper excursions while in Grand Cayman? This is our first cruise with our 8 month old baby girl and we have to be a lot tighter on the budget this go around. New baby new job so things are a little tighter when it comes to vacation.

I have booked the stingray and snorkel tour thru Capt. Marvins. It's $40 per person. I've also read of various places along 7 Mile Beach where you can use the facilities for a nominal fee. I think it's going to just depend on what y'all like to do.

I'll be getting off Paradise before y'all board. :D

We were in Grand Cayman on the Breeze this past February and, like you, were on a budget. We waited until we got to the Port when we booked a tour with discountexcursions.com. You can't miss them ... once you get off the ship and enter the shopping area, they are the hut with yellow walls. We paid $20/pp. The driver took us (with a group of about 20 others, including some children and babies) to all the main sights around the island, at which we got off to see. We had the choice to stay at the last stop - the fabulous beach - which we did and get a cab back to the Port for about $10 (total). It was a great way to see the highlights of the island. Have a great time!! We loved Cayman :)

Cheapest one I know of, since we've done it before, is when you come out of the terminal turn to the left and take about a five minute walk to, IIRC, Burger King. There is a cove there with a sandy beach, you can swim or snorkel and it doesn't cost anything. There are a few trees up by the road that provide shade. Maybe after do a little window shopping through town.

Otherwise, ask your cabin steward. They know where all the cheap places are.

Turn right out of the port and walk down to a restaraunt whose name slips me right now. There is a little set of steps into the water and a small artificial beach area where you can snorkel and see all sorts of fish and some coral. They even feed the tarpon right off the shore so you can get up close with some 50+ lb fish. Best part is that it's totally free.

Turn right out of the port and walk down to a restaraunt whose name slips me right now. There is a little set of steps into the water and a small artificial beach area where you can snorkel and see all sorts of fish and some coral. They even feed the tarpon right off the shore so you can get up close with some 50+ lb fish. Best part is that it's totally free.

Have been there several times, can't remember the name either. It is on the beach. On the right hand side of the road. Only bar/restaurant on the right. The snorkeling is very good. Wish I was there now.

The place to the right of the ship is Paradise Café. We love to snorkel there and were just there the first of Oct. It might not be the best place to take an 8 month old baby, though. Also, while it is free to snorkel there, you do have to pay to rent their snorkel equipment, if you don't have your own.

I'd say go to the Turtle Farm with the baby. http://www.turtle.ky/tours-description

• 2 months later...

We went to the Paradise Restaurant the last time we were there. There were five of us and we went out 3 at a time to snorkel Eden Rock and the other people sat at the restaurant and had something to eat and drink. The people were very nice. If you wanted to take turns doing that, just buy a couple drinks and a snack. They won't mind you being there. Also, it is right by the downtown so you can shop when you are done. There are lockers and bathrooms at the restaurant as well.

• 6 months later...

It cost $4 per person in a van taxi from the port to the public beach (Seagrapes ) and there is no entrance fee.

Seagrapes beach has little open sided covered houses with benches that are first come, first serve for free use.

If you go to Calico Jack's Beach Bar ( right on the water next to Seagrapes public beach ), then you can buy a soda, water, or other fun beverage and that gives you access to using their showers, bathrooms, and use of their picnic tables under a sun cover right on the beach.