New NCL Survey

NCLbigfan

Did anyone get an email from NCL asking to take a survey. I did and the survey asked some interesting questions. Aside from "how many cruises have I taken in the past three years" and "do I plan on taking a cruise within the next year" it asked questions about the Alaska run.

It gave me three choices of which itinerary I would take. Among the differences were price and whether I would take a cruise where there were two ports in one day. It also asked me whether I would sail a new ship to Alaska if a new ship was put there and whether I would be willing to spend an extra $100 for the new ship. Are they thinking about putting a different ship there or one of the newer Breakaway or Breakaway Plus ships there?

Although I answered that I was interested in cruising New England, Bermuda and the Caribbean, as well as Alaska, it only asked me about Alaska. Anyone else get this survey?

No, but sounds like they have something on the drawing board. Before they rolled out their program which included shore excursions, photos, etc - sorry can't remember the name- we got a very long and detailed survey about what kind of items we would like included in a big package. It was less than a month before it appeared. I would say they have the package together and a floating the trial balloon to see how it goes over.

Will be interesting to see. They've not done much new with AK for a long time.

Did anyone get an email from NCL asking to take a survey. I did and the survey asked some interesting questions. Aside from "how many cruises have I taken in the past three years" and "do I plan on taking a cruise within the next year" it asked questions about the Alaska run.

It gave me three choices of which itinerary I would take. Among the differences were price and whether I would take a cruise where there were two ports in one day. It also asked me whether I would sail a new ship to Alaska if a new ship was put there and whether I would be willing to spend an extra $100 for the new ship. Are they thinking about putting a different ship there or one of the newer Breakaway or Breakaway Plus ships there?

Although I answered that I was interested in cruising New England, Bermuda and the Caribbean, as well as Alaska, it only asked me about Alaska. Anyone else get this survey?

Yes, we got this one, and it asked only about varying the Alaska itineraries and prices and ONLY FOR INSIDE CABINS.

So we weren't interested in any of them.

NO place even to mention that we MIGHT be interested in <whatever - itineraries, pricing, new ship> if other cabin categories were included.

Since we've never booked an inside with them, nor has anyone we've brought along with us, it was very odd, and I have no idea what NCL thinks they could learn from a mass-mailing survey asking about ONLY insides.

I only continued because I expected they'd continue on with other choices, but... no....

GeezerCouple

A NEW SHIP IN ALASKA!!! Be still my heart! :D:D:D The Pearl was great-- so was the Sky -- but love those new ships!

Now, if they would do more round-trip Seattle, I'd really be excited. Getting left in Canada or Alaska adds too much to the price.

A NEW SHIP IN ALASKA!!! Be still my heart! :D:D:D The Pearl was great-- so was the Sky -- but love those new ships!

Now, if they would do more round-trip Seattle, I'd really be excited. Getting left in Canada or Alaska adds too much to the price.

Maybe the new ship in Alaska is due to Escspe permanently coming in 2015 and NCL is testing to see how many people would go for that year around instead of finding space for it in Miami. That would be a nice win for Alaska- Canadian cruise lovers.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

I seriously doubt any of the newer really big ships would be able to cruise in Alaska. There are some definite size restrictions.

Celebrity Solstice is currently the largest ship in the Alaska market, and Breakaway is only 30 ft. longer and 40 ft. wider.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Celebrity Solstice is currently the largest ship in the Alaska market, and Breakaway is only 30 ft. longer and 40 ft. wider.

New ship probably too wide for the Panama Canal, would have to take the long way home. Sign me up for that cruise!! Sent from a laptop on battery in the Philippines.

New ship probably too wide for the Panama Canal, would have to take the long way home. Sign me up for that cruise!! Sent from a laptop on battery in the Philippines.

Besides the PC concerns, I'm not sure the National Patk Service will allow the mega ships into Glacier Bay or some of the glacier channels. Just because the survey said new ship doesn't mean it's a newly released ship.

Breakaway was specifically designed to fit in the new locks being built in Panama. The davits are attached by hinges so that they can be folded flat to allow for adequate clearance.

NPS already allows megaships such as Princess Grand Class and Celebrity Solstice Class. Breakaway's length and breadth are only moderately larger. I see no issue.

I don't see NCL sending the Breakaway, Getaway or Escape to Panama Canal or Alaska anytime soon. Maybe when other 3 new ships are done in about 2020 then, but for now I can see the smaller ships sailing those routes, maybe permanently.

I don't see NCL sending the Breakaway, Getaway or Escape to Panama Canal or Alaska anytime soon. Maybe when other 3 new ships are done in about 2020 then, but for now I can see the smaller ships sailing those routes, maybe permanently.

It would either be Bliss or the other two unnamed Breakaway Plus Class. The earlier ships are almost exclusively designed for warm waters. Alaska will necessitate design changes.

It would either be Bliss or the other two unnamed Breakaway Plus Class. The earlier ships are almost exclusively designed for warm waters. Alaska will necessitate design changes.

I can see the Escape being sent over to Alaska before the other Breakaway-class ships for simple fact it'll have a duplicate Miami theme or no specific city theme at all. I can actually see one of Breakaway-plus replacing the Escape's current iternary since there's no special deviation ( not even a 2 night or 9 day cruise compare to the Breakaway).

All of the current Breakaway-class ships have the Waterfront, where people eat at the outdoor specialty restaurant or look outside - How would NCL not take advantage of that?!?

The Waterfront is one of the main issues. It'd be unusable in the cold Alaskan climate. Bliss and future vessel are far enough down the pipeline that modifications can be made.

No not really, there's always going to someone out on the deck or on their balcony looking at the beauty that is coast line off Alaska and Canada. Winter gear or no winter gear. And the Waterfront is small area around the ship with speciality restaurant and bars that can be easily protected with higher guard rails or glass plus the floor can be salted or that special gravel track on top of the wood flooring. Again, I can see NCL sending a Breakaway-class there but not til maybe 2018 or 2020 when the other ships are done.

I would love to sail Alaska again. It would be nice to have the ship leave from a port in California. I am of course hoping that one day NCL will leave from San Francisco. :D I can't help but wonder if they might place a larger ship in San Pedro and offer Alaska from there while continuing with the Star for Mexico.