White Bay Why Couldn't a Ferry be Chartered permanently

Having observed the largely successful passenger checkin transfer from White Bay (Sydney) to the OPT during the last month, i see no reason why a charter ferry could not be set up to operate from White Bay to Circular Quay on a permanent basis.

There is ample space at the White Bay berths for a ferry to operate even if there were 2 ships docked.

Currently, the only way for passengers to reach the city is by way of ship's shuttle (if in fact it is provided), taxi, private car or a very long walk via Roberts St to Victoria Rd to catch a regular bus.

Today i observed several groups of passengers dragging luggage along the vehicle only access road of Sommerville Rd trying to make boarding time. Luckily some nice port authority people gave them a lift otherwise they probably would have missed boarding.

There is no pedestrian or bicycle access permitted along Sommerville Rd, only from Roberts St.

Hugh

Edited by cassamanda

It's shouldn't even need to be a charter ferry, just part of one of the regular ferry services that arrive/depart from Circular Quay, although extra services may be required in the mornings when passengers are disembarking from a cruise.

From what gbenjo said on another thread, there wasn't sufficient funds to build a ferry wharf at White Bay. Major oversight, and major mistake IMHO.

Hugh, that is such a sensible and logical thing to do. It would even be a big vote earner with we cruisers! Just think, a harbour cruise before we seriously cruise, only bad weather could dampen that. Duncan Gay are you listening??? Maybe it is a different minister.....

Steve.

While I agree completely, Gbenjo has explained that while their is room, it isn't feasible due to the marina at the end of the white bay terminal. This is one reason why they only used the ferries when White bay terminal wasn't being used for it's own ship embark/disembarkation process.:D

What I find hard to understand is that a ferry terminal was provided for the temporary Exhibition Centre across the bay from the cruise terminal, but not for the permanent cruise terminal. :confused:

There should be no excuses for not providing a ferry terminal. Resume a portion of the marina. Houses and businesses are resumed regularly for road expansions. Fair go for public transport.;)

While I agree completely, Gbenjo has explained that while their is room, it isn't feasible due to the marina at the end of the white bay terminal. This is one reason why they only used the ferries when White bay terminal wasn't being used for it's own ship embark/disembarkation process.:D

Mic i don't agree with that argument. I think it is a cop out by the Government. During the pax transfers from White Bay, the ferries berthed at what you could call Berth 2. That is, well astern of any ship berthed at the actual cruise terminal and nowhere near the Marina. The passengers were in fact made to walk some 200-300 meters along the empty wharf to the western end. The Marina is at the Eastern end of the wharf.

White Bay used to be a container ship terminal with good water depth.

With the development of Barrangaroo, my suggestion is that now is the time to build a new ferry wharf that services Barrangaroo, Balmain and White Bay. Viz a viz North Sydney and its wharves at Jeffery St, Milsons Point and McMahons Point.

Hugh

Edited by cassamanda

Mic i don't agree with that argument. I think it is a cop out by the Government. During the pax transfers from White Bay, the ferries berthed at what you could call Berth 2. That is, well astern of any ship berthed at the actual cruise terminal and nowhere near the Marina. The passengers were in fact made to walk some 200-300 meters along the empty wharf to the western end. The Marina is at the Eastern end of the wharf.

White Bay used to be a container ship terminal with good water depth.

With the development of Barrangaroo, my suggestion is that now is the time to build a new ferry wharf that services Barrangaroo, Balmain and White Bay. Viz a viz North Sydney and its wharves at Jeffery St, Milsons Point and McMahons Point.

Hugh

Again I agree, I think it can be done as well if the government really wanted it to happen, I am sure it could be done fairly easily and relatively cheaply. A permanent service may not be utilised enough but certainly a cruise day service would and they have ships there every other day.

Again I agree, I think it can be done as well if the government really wanted it to happen, I am sure it could be done fairly easily and relatively cheaply. A permanent service may not be utilised enough but certainly a cruise day service would and they have ships there every other day.

With Carnival now operating 5 ships (stand corrected) year round that fit under the bridge i think the new cruise terminal will be fairly well utilised through the winter.

Hugh

With Carnival now operating 5 ships (stand corrected) year round that fit under the bridge i think the new cruise terminal will be fairly well utilised through the winter.

Hugh

But if there are no other ships in port the Carnival ones will probably use the OPT, as they have in the past couple of months.

Looking at the map, they really didn't design that whole area very well. I can understand the convoluted road access to White Bay given the busy traffic flows in that area, but there are a lot of residential properties near the cruise terminal that would also benefit from access to a ferry wharf so it's surprising that they didn't build one or two and have a regular service supplemented by extra ferries when a ship is in port.

I'm puzzled why on earth would a cruise terminal be replaced at White Bay - or that side of the Harbour Bridge. At the moment only a few ships could go under the bridge (P&O, Princess' Sun class, Oosterdam etc), but as more cruise lines sending larger ships, more and more ships will dock at OPT. I know finding suitable sites on the other side of the Bridge is a challenge, but it needs to be done to sustain the growth.

Then not to mention the lack of transportation. White Bay terminal is really in the middle of nowhere. It's like a backwater of Sydney Harbour. If I was transiting Sydney, I would be quite disappointed if my ship is docked at White Bay - compare to other ports like Melbourne, Auckland, Hobart, Wellington etc).

From what gbenjo said on another thread, there wasn't sufficient funds to build a ferry wharf at White Bay. Major oversight, and major mistake IMHO.

Sounds about right - they had all the fund to build a whole new terminal, but not enough to build a ferry wharf.

Although I totally agree that there should be a ferry to White Bay from the city I can also understand why "at the moment" there isn't one. Money is obviously one reason, perhaps after the OPT renovations are complete there may be some available and I guess we are all being a little selfish here in saying it would be nice for someone going on a cruise to be able to jump on a ferry at Circular Quay to go to White Bay and yes cruising is a growing business but there are still a lot more "voters" that do not cruise so the "pollies" would be taking that into account I guess. Locals could use it I suppose but they would still be a good distance from any residences given the way the roads and perimeter fences are located.

Access is also a problem as I have said before, with the privately owned /operated marina on the eastern boundary and all the waterfront land west being "a secure zone" and once you get past the two "big ship" berths you are getting a little bit too far away from the terminal for a ferry wharf without having to provide some sort of extra transport for people to get to the terminal.(more money) Seeing that Carnival ships constitute probably ninety percent of White Bays cruise ship activity maybe they should kick the can a little ( or a lot) to help make this happen.

Having said all that, NEVER SAY NEVER it may happen one day once they resolve some "issues" and casual conversations I have had with "certain people" would indicate it is not impossible.

Then not to mention the lack of transportation. White Bay terminal is really in the middle of nowhere. It's like a backwater of Sydney Harbour. If I was transiting Sydney, I would be quite disappointed if my ship is docked at White Bay - compare to other ports like Melbourne, Auckland, Hobart, Wellington etc).

Brisbane's grain wharf is in a far less appealing position than White Bay. With White Bay, you do get to sail under the Harbour bridge, so I think the transit to the dock is quite a good one.

As for Melbourne, the travel time from their primary wharf is comparable to Sydney's secondary wharf. The only thing going for MEL is better transport links... which is solvable in Sydney if the government choosed to do so.

Sydney and two of your other three locations have equally good primary wharves - Wellington's a bit further out, but still good. And OPT is only being improved - not removed. So all up, Sydney still has a very good situation. Better than many cruise ports around the world.

Brisbane's grain wharf is in a far less appealing position than White Bay. With White Bay, you do get to sail under the Harbour bridge, so I think the transit to the dock is quite a good one.

As for Melbourne, the travel time from their primary wharf is comparable to Sydney's secondary wharf. The only thing going for MEL is better transport links... which is solvable in Sydney if the government choosed to do so.

Sydney and two of your other three locations have equally good primary wharves - Wellington's a bit further out, but still good. And OPT is only being improved - not removed. So all up, Sydney still has a very good situation. Better than many cruise ports around the world.

Brisbane's grain wharf must be the worst port in australia, so far from the city and a hell of a place to get too

Compared to some ports around the world White bay would be a luxury... we have been to ports that you will find yourself in the middle of desert as you exit the port gates... or a 2 or 3 hour drive into the city or highlight.

Having seen Gbenjo in action and how much influence he has down at the terminals I am sure he could convince them that they need a cruise day ferry :D:D:D

Grain :eek: Rye would you say that? I can Barley stand it.:p

Oats all part of the plan. I believe there will also be a dentist at Wheat Bay........................................in case someone has a Sorgum:D...well its better than some of the other "crop" we read sometimes:eek: I know its a little bit Corny.. but I am a-Maized at what some people say.

Edited by gbenjo

Oats all part of the plan. I believe there will also be a dentist at Wheat Bay........................................in case someone has a Sorgum:D...well its better than some of the other "crop" we read sometimes:eek: I know its a little bit Corny.. but I am a-Maized at what some people say.

Lol, :D

Lol, :D

You two are so corny you must have been poorly bread.