Passport Question

chefjellynow

When returning to the states, you have to go through customs. We always bring our passports, but again, I think you could get through here with a licence. I am not 100% sure though

I think you may be 100% wrong. And if the OP doesn't have the proper documents at embarkation, they won't even be getting on the ship.

I have read several reviews re: Not needing passports on the Breakaway Bahama cruise. Upon re-entry in NYC all we need is a birth certificate and proper ID? Still confused. Anyone recently have straight answers hehe.

Thanks

Here's the answer for US citizens born in the US. An official birth certificate and government-issued photo ID are sufficient.

http://www.ncl.com/faq#documentation

Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda, Alaska, Mexican Riviera, Or Canada & New England Cruises

For round-trip sailings (cruises that depart from and return to the same U.S. port), you may sail with either a valid passport, proof of citizenship and a valid government-issued photo I.D. (driver’s license with a photo), or any other WHTI compliant document.

Proof of Citizenship examples include:

State certified U.S. birth certificate

Original certificate of U.S. naturalization

Original certificate of U.S. citizenship

U.S. Consular report of your birth abroad.

Baptismal paper, hospital certificates of birth and Puerto Rico birth certificates issued prior to 7/1/10 are not acceptable.

A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 do not require a government-issued photo ID.

Edited by njhorseman

I too am cruising in jan to the Caribbean and if I don't have a passport that expires 6 months after end of trip, I would need a birth certificate along with my license! I sent in for a new passport and I have to wait to even get my edocs!

I too am cruising in jan to the Caribbean and if I don't have a passport that expires 6 months after end of trip, I would need a birth certificate along with my license! I sent in for a new passport and I have to wait to even get my edocs!

Actually a US passport that is valid until your disembarkation date is all you need for a Caribbean cruise. There's no requirement that it have six months remaining validity.

If you already have a passport, bring it. Why take the chance and leave it at home?

yea, that's the issue, we are filling out the paperwork. Mine is over expired, wife needs renewal and my 9yo doesn't have one.

Just trying to save over 400$ in expidited filing. We sail on Dec.14

As stated we are in process of filing, but saw conflicting reports...

thanks

Good grief, no! Do you really think you're helping anyone by making an uninformed (and in this case incorrect) guess. Proper travel documentation is too important. Get it wrong and you are left standing on the pier watching your ship sail away.

We have been told we don't NEED a passport. NCL's words. They told us that we would need one to fly home if we missed the ship, otherwise we don't need one as long as we board and disembark in the US. Excuse me for saying what NCL has told me.

I think you may be 100% wrong. And if the OP doesn't have the proper documents at embarkation, they won't even be getting on the ship.

As I have told someone else, we have been told by NCL we don't need a passport, unless we need to fly home due to missing the ship. Don't get mad at me, get mad at NCL.

We have been told we don't NEED a passport. NCL's words. They told us that we would need one to fly home if we missed the ship, otherwise we don't need one as long as we board and disembark in the US. Excuse me for saying what NCL has told me.

Not needing a passport is NOT the same as only having a drivers license. NCL did not say you can cruise with only a drivers license. You still need acceptable proof of citizenship in addition to your DL. Read The NCL FAQ that I posted earlier on this thread:

Edited by njhorseman

Not needing a passport is NOT the same as only having a drivers license. NCL did not say you can cruise with only a drivers license. You still need acceptable proof of citizenship in addition to your DL. Read The NCL FAQ that I posted earlier on this thread:

Okay, so I was half right. You are right, NCL didn't say ONLY a drivers license, that is why I said I wasn't 100% about it. Again, excuse me.

This thread is the perfect example of why you don't look for information as important as the required travel documents in a cruise review or forum. There is ALWAYS misinformation put out.

Use an official government site such as:

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/do-i-need.html

I got my passport in 3 weeks in march; the long backlog is over since the laws were passed necessitating passports to canada. That being said, if the sh*t hits the fan and it doesn't come in time...well that's the gamble you have to decide on to save the 400 bucks....The OP would probably sweat too much to risk it, but there was another sailing in January who should be fine

Just make sure that if you are planning to go the Birth Cert / Driver's license route, you have a STATE CERTIFIED copy of said birth certificate. Normal xeroxed copies won't suffice. Hospital issued (but not issued by US authorities) will not usually work either. A copy issued by the proper authorities, with the proper certification seal (usually, but not always, raised seal), will work. Having a passport will, of course, expedite everything if you need to fly home in case of emergency. I personally would never leave the country without a passport, and my kids have had them since birth.

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

Just make sure that if you are planning to go the Birth Cert / Driver's license route, you have a STATE CERTIFIED copy of said birth certificate. Normal xeroxed copies won't suffice. Hospital issued (but not issued by US authorities) will not usually work either. A copy issued by the proper authorities, with the proper certification seal (usually, but not always, raised seal), will work. Having a passport will, of course, expedite everything if you need to fly home in case of emergency. I personally would never leave the country without a passport, and my kids have had them since birth.

Robin

The DHS regulations state that a passenger may present an "original or copy" of a government issued birth certificate, so a xeroxed copy will work. While it is best to bring the original it is also important to keep in mind that a copy may be used. I have read several threads where something happened, a passport forgotten at home or stolen, original birth certificate nowhere to be found, and a copy of the birth certificate saved the day- and the trip.

The DHS regulations state that a passenger may present an "original or copy" of a government issued birth certificate, so a xeroxed copy will work. While it is best to bring the original it is also important to keep in mind that a copy may be used. I have read several threads where something happened, a passport forgotten at home or stolen, original birth certificate nowhere to be found, and a copy of the birth certificate saved the day- and the trip.

I completely agree with this, but the semantics on the DHS site are a bit unclear. There is a vast difference in "copy of birth certificate" choices. The NCL site clearly states it needs a "State Certified U.S. Birth Certificate". An old photocopy of a BC is very different from a copy obtained by state or county government. In most places on the website, when speaking of adult documentation, they make it more clear by stating "original or state certified copy". For children under 16, a "photocopy" is usually listed as acceptable elsewhere in the travel sections. For some reason, on closed loop cruises, they make neither distinction, but simply say "copy". I have read threads and reviews where original hospital birth certificates were presented and embarkation was refused, and I remember at least one where a regular photocopy was refused. Many reviews that speak of "copies" are actually talking about state certified copies.

I wouldn't chance it when it is so easy to obtain them from a state or county office, generally very inexpensively. My family members were born in four different states, and I have stashed in my safe at least two certified copies for each of us, and my adult children each have a couple copies of their own. They dwindle over the years, when using them and misplacing them for various reasons, so when they get low on stock, I simply order four more from whatever state/county..

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

I completely agree with this, but the semantics on the DHS site are a bit unclear. There is a vast difference in "copy of birth certificate" choices. The NCL site clearly states it needs a "State Certified U.S. Birth Certificate". An old photocopy of a BC is very different from a copy obtained by state or county government. In most places on the website, when speaking of adult documentation, they make it more clear by stating "original or state certified copy". For children under 16, a "photocopy" is usually listed as acceptable elsewhere in the travel sections. For some reason, on closed loop cruises, they make neither distinction, but simply say "copy". I have read threads and reviews where original hospital birth certificates were presented and embarkation was refused, and I remember at least one where a regular photocopy was refused. Many reviews that speak of "copies" are actually talking about state certified copies.

I wouldn't chance it when it is so easy to obtain them from a state or county office, generally very inexpensively. My family members were born in four different states, and I have stashed in my safe at least two certified copies for each of us, and my adult children each have a couple copies of their own. They dwindle over the years, when using them and misplacing them for various reasons, so when they get low on stock, I simply order four more from whatever state/county..

Robin

CCL has the clearest guidelines when it comes to this issue and specifically state that photocopies are acceptable. When I sailed with them I presented a photocopy of my birth certificate which was accepted without question by all who saw it, including CBP at the end of the cruise. The DHS regulations are quite clear, it's the cruise lines that cloud the issue by providing unclear guidance. It wasn't too long ago that someone was sailing with RCI and for some reason they had to use a copy of their birth certificate. They even called RCI and were told they would be denied boarding if they showed up with just a copy. They did show up and were allowed to board. If given the choice between showing up at the pier with a copy of my birth certificate and showing up with nothing I would choose the copy any day.

The bottom line is -- a cruise is international travel and international travel requires a passport. Anyone who who can afford to cruise should be able to invest in a passport.

Lornr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by 42CruiseCrazy

The bottom line is -- a cruise is international travel and international travel requires a passport. Anyone who who can afford to cruise should be able to invest in a passport.

Lornr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bottom line is that closed cruises starting and ending in the same USA port does not require a USA citizen to have a passport. What if a USA family of 10 wants to take their first cruise? Why should they pay for 10 passports they may never use again?

Sent from my battery powered laptop in the Philippines:D