How to keep hearing aids dry /safe while snorkeling?

Imamom

What do hearing wearers do with them while swimming and snorkeling while in port? My audiologist told me that the salt water will destroy my hearing aids. If I left them on the beach, I would be worried that my beach bag would be stolen while my husband and I are in the water. Has anyone found a waterproof container that one can either attach to your swim suit or put in your suit? Or perhaps have another suggestion? Thanks.

If your hearing loss is not too bad, you can leave them on the ship. I use them and can get by without them for a while. When we go to the beach or swimming at the pools, I just shut them off and leave them in the room.

If you need them, I would leave them on the beach with your stuff. You do not want to get them wet.

Thanks you guys. I like all of the ideas and appreciate them. I'm going to check out the waterproof bags. Thanks for that link. If I'm not brave enough to get off the ship without them, the bag or putting them in my shoes (love that idea. Lol) will be options to think about. Maybe I will try walking around the ship without the hearing aids to see how tolerable that is. I can hear but it sounds muffled like my head is in a barrel. :-(

Jmf123,

I just looked at the waterproof boxes. Have you personally used any of those items? They look great, if I can trust it. I don't want to be without my hearing aids for the rest of the trip. Plus, their replacement expense is up there.

Jmf123,

I just looked at the waterproof boxes. Have you personally used any of those items? They look great, if I can trust it. I don't want to be without my hearing aids for the rest of the trip. Plus, their replacement expense is up there.

I haven't personally used anything, and they state the following on the first page of that site: So there are a variety of products you can use to do this. None of these products are perfect, but we have found that hard boxes or cases are more consistently waterproof. The seals are not flexible so are less likely to leak. -

They do mention putting passports in it, but leaks could happen, I suppose. I thought about suggesting leaving them in the safe in your stateroom, but figured you needed to have them with you, when not in the water. In that case, you may wish to consider hearing aid insurance. I found a company that covers for accidental loss (dropped in a lake, toilet, if it is stolen), accidental damage (worn while showering, chewed by a pet), and repairs for normal wear and tear. There are more examples, and you could ask about coverage for your specific concern.

Here's a link: http://www.earserv.com/. Place your mouse on 'Consumers' and then click on 'Choosing ESCO Coverage'. I have no knowledge of this company, but insurance may be the way to go. They state that they are 'the leading provider for loss and damage coverage of the hearing industry'. You can also google 'hearing aid insurance'. This policy appears to offer peace of mind for many things that could go wrong (besides salt water damage), regarding loss, damage, and repair for hearing aids.

Consider what the aids are worth, what a policy would cost, what coverages are provided, any policy deductible, etc. and weigh the benefits of insuring them. I hope this helps! :)

I agree. Go to a craft store such as Michael's and get mini zip loc bags. You can put one hearing aid in each, put both into another one or even two zip locs and then into a water proof case. Of course, with water there is never any guarantee and likely there is some risk taking them into the ocean but that is a choice you'll have to decide.

Best wishes.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband wears a cochlear implant device so we must bring it with on excursions and it must stay dry.

I use a small pelican case plus put it in a ziplock bag.

When we are on the beach I connect the pelican case to the inside of my bag with the carabiner AND I hook my bag to a chair with another carabiner.

I don't want to risk someone walking off with my bag. I keep it hooked to my chair even when I am sitting right there.

We would never risk bringing it in the water or even sitting on the beach in the sand. He takes it off even if we are in the wind. We wouldn't want it becoming dislodged and lose it.