Oceania Air

Ballwin Babe

:confused: We are booking a cruise with Oceania Air. It's my understanding that at the time they present you with their package air itinerary, you can accept it, request/pay for a deviation, or cancel the air portion of your reservation altogether. The last option, of course, only until the air is ticketed then it's non-refundable.

For those of you who are experienced Oceania cruisers, when and how did you get their proposed air itinerary? My TA is suggesting that I log on daily to see if it's posted (while still a proposal). This seems pretty hit or miss to me.

What has been your actual experience with this? Do they try to get your acknowledgment on their proposed air? Or do the just book it?

Thanks much.

To begin with, your Agent obviously does not understand the Process, so I would suggest that you start looking around for a new Agent.

That said, if you book an Oceania Cruise, your very first option is to book it with or without air transportation.

If you opt out at that time, your fare will be adjusted accordingly, and the Line assumes that you will make your own arrangements for getting to and from the ship.

If you opt INTO the air program, but do nothing else, you will receive your Air routing from Oceania at approximately 75 days before your cruise departure date.

Lastly, if you wish Oceania to make Air arrangements on your behalf, but need to amend your travel dates, or wish to have some say about the flights which are chosen for you, then you will have the option of paying an Air Deviation Fee of $150 per person.

Paying this fee gives the Passenger such options as arriving at the embarkation port a few days early, or staying abroad longer, post cruise.

It also gives the Passenger the ability to finetune flight schedules within the range of similarly priced flights to the port cities. More expensive flights may also be offered, should the passenger be willing to pay the price differential (this process is sometimes defines as a flight upcharge).

The Deviation fee is non refundable, but does not kick in until the Passenger and Oceania have agreed on a Routing.

Oceania's air program can be confusing at first, likely because as far as I know, only Regent offers anything like it.

There are three distinct options.

One, accept the standard air booking. Oceania waits until relatively close to sailing, often after final payment, and books flights to get you to the cruise port on the same day as sailing, and leaving the disembarkation port the same day the cruise ends. There is no deviation fee. They book the flights, and you learn about them when they send your documents, usually ab out 6 weeks before the cruise. It's possible they post a summary on line; I've never checked. And, to be honest, I've never made those arrangements. My understanding is they do the best job they can, choosing flights that have as few stops as possible.

Two, ask for a deviation. There is a non-refundable administrative fee of $175 per person for the extra time and effort it takes to prepare a deviation, but you only pay it if you accept the proposal. It is paid by credit card immediately when you accept. You can request a deviation as soon as 270 days before the cruise, and once you accept, you will know your flight details immediately. Your flight reservation is booked but not ticketed -- Oceania buys the ticket closer to the cruise, after final payment. If you have to cancel before final payment, you do not have to pay for the flight (but you'll lose your deviation fee). If possible, according to airline policy, they'll assign a seat, and if the airline permits it, you can change that seat anytime after your reservation is made. That doesn't work with airlines that charge extra or make you wait to choose your seat. If you want to purchase something like Economy Plus, you'll have to make final payment early so the cruise line can buy your ticket. The flights are as good as they can make them; you can request other flights, but you may have to pay a differential between the new flights' cost and what Oceania could buy ordinarily. Most people are satisfied with the arrangements. Deviations are primarily available to accommodate folks who want to arrive early or depart late, but some folks do them just to learn their flights early. When I have Oceania do the air arrangements, I always choose a deviation, because I always like to arrive at least a day early and often want to stay in the destination port a day or so after the cruise.

You third option is to do your own air. Your travel agent can tell you how much credit you will get if you don't use Oceania's air. Oceania doesn't pay anything close to what individuals pay, so the credit generally won't cover your cost if you book yourself. However, if you have airline miles or other ways to obtain lower cost flights, this is the way to go. I've been learning to play the credit card miles games, so I haven't had to pay for a flight (other than taxes and fees) for at least a couple of years, even for occasional business class.

{EDIT} That's what I get for watching TV while writing my response -- My good friend Jim gets in ahead of me! :D

Edited by hondorner

To begin with, your Agent obviously does not understand the Process, so I would suggest that you start looking around for a new Agent.

That said, if you book an Oceania Cruise, your very first option is to book it with or without air transportation.

If you opt out at that time, your fare will be adjusted accordingly, and the Line assumes that you will make your own arrangements for getting to and from the ship.

If you opt INTO the air program, but do nothing else, you will receive your Air routing from Oceania at approximately 75 days before your cruise departure date.

Lastly, if you wish Oceania to make Air arrangements on your behalf, but need to amend your travel dates, or wish to have some say about the flights which are chosen for you, then you will have the option of paying an Air Deviation Fee of $150 per person.

Paying this fee gives the Passenger such options as arriving at the embarkation port a few days early, or staying abroad longer, post cruise.

It also gives the Passenger the ability to finetune flight schedules within the range of similarly priced flights to the port cities. More expensive flights may also be offered, should the passenger be willing to pay the price differential (this process is sometimes defines as a flight upcharge).

The Deviation fee is non refundable, but does not kick in until the Passenger and Oceania have agreed on a Routing.

Hi Jim,

Deviation fee is $175 per person

Jancruz1

Just a couple clarifications on what has been posted.

1. If one books through a TA, then all conversations with O Air will be through the TA. O will not generally talk to you direct, but only through your TA.

2. If you accept the deviation, you accept the deviation through your TA. Therefore, your TA knows immediately what has been done. There is no checking on the system to see if it has been completed.

3. Some airlines will not allow you to directly obtain seat assignments or get upgrades to PE for example. Others will sometimes. Most airlines require you to go back through O to make any requests/changes. O remember, only talks to your TA. So if you want a PE seat, it is easiest to tell your TA that upfront, so they can inform O Air. Many airlines will only allow you to make upgrades or change seats yourself within 24 hours of the flight, without going through O Air.

4. O purchases economy seats at bulk pricing. It can be almost as expensive to move from economy to PE, on some airlines, as the ticket costs itself. So don't be surprised if O comes back with a price of $800 or so to move up to P.E. for a Trans Atlantic. Also don't be surprised when the airlines quotes that price to you when you attempt to move up at the 24 hour time frame.

Depending upon the airline trying to save a buck ($1) and attempting to cut O Air out of the loop can end you up in economy, and maybe even the center section. Be upfront and let everyone know what you want, and your outcomes will probably be better off. Also understand even with a deviation, you should ask O who the ticket is booked with. We once did a deviation and booked on United. It was a Scandanavian Air flight with a United code share. O booked the long haul with SA and the US portion with United. SA would not talk to us about anything. Everything went through O. We didn't know that until just before flight time.

We are booked on the full world cruise from Miami in Jan. When I booked I was told by Oceania help desk there was no credit for not taking the free air. We just got our flight info. From Toronto to Miami there are 10 direct flights that day and 8 direct flights to Ft. Lauderdale..

For 2 major cities I figured no deviation needed but apparently crazy me assumed Oceania would provide a world cruiser with the service of one of these direct flights but no - we have to go through Atlanta and end up in Ft Lauderdale. Instead of 3.5 hours, it will be 5 hours 50 minutes. Of all the possible flights that eventually end up the MIA or FLL we have the earliest possible - need to be at the airport by 4am. The hotel check-in is not until 3pm, hopefully we don't have to sleep in the lobby waiting for our room

At least the flight home at the end will be direct

We are booked on the full world cruise from Miami in Jan. When I booked I was told by Oceania help desk there was no credit for not taking the free air. We just got our flight info. From Toronto to Miami there are 10 direct flights that day and 8 direct flights to Ft. Lauderdale..

For 2 major cities I figured no deviation needed but apparently crazy me assumed Oceania would provide a world cruiser with the service of one of these direct flights but no - we have to go through Atlanta and end up in Ft Lauderdale. Instead of 3.5 hours, it will be 5 hours 50 minutes. Of all the possible flights that eventually end up the MIA or FLL we have the earliest possible - need to be at the airport by 4am. The hotel check-in is not until 3pm, hopefully we don't have to sleep in the lobby waiting for our room

That is why I pay the deviation fee... even for flights to MIA ;)

I would be booking one of the airport hotels ....I hate those early morning flights, we are 1 hr from YYZ

Most hotel will store your bags if the room is not ready

Enjoy the cruise

lyn

Is there no negotiation on the included air? Can't you go back to them and ask for a direct flight?

Is there no negotiation on the included air? Can't you go back to them and ask for a direct flight?

You may certainly ask for whatever you like; with the understanding that the ability to "negotiate the air arrangements" is what they are selling under the umbrella of the Air Deviation Fee.

why-buy-cow.jpg

Are you talking about a "direct" flight or a non-stop flight?? Please be aware that there is a distinct difference between direct and non-stop and using the incorrect term with airline personnel will result in a very disappointing trip to your final destination.

A non-stop as the name states will go directly from your boarding airport to your destination airport without and interim stops on the way.

A direct flight will stop at least one time or possibly more times from your boarding airport to your destination airport and in some cases you will need to get off the plane at one or more of the stops and change to a different aircraft.

Believe many people use the term "direct" incorrectly to mean non-stop and are subject to a nasty landing when not expected!!

Are you talking about a "direct" flight or a non-stop flight?? Please be aware that there is a distinct difference between direct and non-stop and using the incorrect term with airline personnel will result in a very disappointing trip to your final destination.

A non-stop as the name states will go directly from your boarding airport to your destination airport without and interim stops on the way.

A direct flight will stop at least one time or possibly more times from your boarding airport to your destination airport and in some cases you will need to get off the plane at one or more of the stops and change to a different aircraft.

Believe many people use the term "direct" incorrectly to mean non-stop and are subject to a nasty landing when not expected!!

Mybad, RallyDave, I most certainly meant non-stop! (and I actually remember another post of yours in the distant past making this same point-- obviously I'm a slow learner! :p)

I rest my case.

That is really reprehensible. You'd think they would treat you World Cruisers well.

• 2 months later...

Is there any advantage to doing air deviation over booking your fare yourself? Any security if there are cruise changes? Anything else? Can they get the fare for the flights we want at a better price than I can see through ITA Flight Matrix?

Thanks

Is there any advantage to doing air deviation over booking your fare yourself? Any security if there are cruise changes? Anything else? Can they get the fare for the flights we want at a better price than I can see through ITA Flight Matrix?

Thanks

I found for our upcoming TA the flight was better doing O air than booking my own

It would have cost me $2200 for econ or $3100 for PE

You have to do the math & see what works for you

Edited by LHT28

But what if there is little difference in price? Especially after you add the deviation fee. Also they are offering an amount in USD and I am finding fares in CAD.

So my question - is there any advantage or security in going with a deviation rather than just taking their allowance and booking my own?

What about fuel surcharges?

But what if there is little difference in price? Especially after you add the deviation fee. Also they are offering an amount in USD and I am finding fares in CAD.

So my question - is there any advantage or security in going with a deviation rather than just taking their allowance and booking my own?

As Lynn said, first thing is to compare total dollars out of your pocket and that includes any fuel surcharges, if any. Next you need to consider any risks from one to the other.

For instance, booking your own you will most likely be booking a non-refundable fare so you have to consider any costs should you cancel or O cancel or there is a change of schedule or ports of embarkation or disembarkation. Also have to consider the what if's. That is natural disasters where O will take care of you with their air while the airlines won't.

Believe if you deviate O will cover you for any schedule/port changes due to O while airlines won't. As Lyn stated, only you can do the dollars to dollar trade off plus the risks both known or unknown of both flights.

It certainly isn't black and white and what might work for one person won't work for another. With O you have cancellation penalties that are less than the airline until you get to 100% on O since the airlines are 100% from day one.

Good luck and make the best decision for you!!!!

The one advantage to booking your own air is you get to choose the seats at the time of booking but you also pay in full

With O you pay the deviation fee & the balance with FP if you have to cancel before FP then you just lose the deviation fee

So many options to consider

You can always use a conversion site to give you a rough idea of USD vs CAD

http://www.oanda.com

Edited by LHT28

Thank you. That's the info I needed. If something happens that is O's responsibility they will get me home!

While what you wrote is NOT technically true, in many cases in the past O has gotten people to and from the cruise where there have been air issues. I suggest you read the terms and conditions. They clearly state that they are NOT responsible for any issues you have with the airlines but, in many cases reported on these forums, O has gone out of their way to take care of people on O air.

As far as schedule changes both port and time/date, I think O will take care of changes at their cost but, am not sure so hope someone will chime in on that subject who has the definitive answer.

Hope this all helps, lots more in the Ticket Contract which is on the O website.

Below are a couple exerpts from the Ticket Contract which covers what I wrote and the responsibilities. Also note there are some statements with the word may which means it is at O's discretion. When people have questions or assumptions regarding who is responsible for what, best to read the Ticket Contract. As I have said, most cruise lines including O have in the past taken care of things that are not their responsibility per the Ticket Contract but, no guarantee that they will always take care of you if they are not required to due to the Ticket Contract.

4. CARRIER’S DISCRETION

As the Carrier, We reserve the right at any time, without notice or liability for refund, payment or compensation of any kind or credit except as provided herein, to cancel any Cruise or CruiseTour, change or postpone the date or time of sailing or arrival, change the port of embarkation or final destination, shorten the Cruise or substitute the Ship, change or substitute any component of the CruiseTour including but not limited to aircraft, other transportation or any hotel at which You are scheduled to stay. If We make any of the changes described above, We will be responsible to You as follows in full and final settlement of all claims and liabilities of Carrier in connection with such actions:

a. If We cancel the Cruise or CruiseTour before it has started, We will refund the full Cruise Fare or CruiseTour Fare that We have actually received (less any air or accommodation charges incurred).

b. If the scheduled sailing date or time is delayed and as a result of that delay, You are not otherwise accommodated on board the Ship, We may arrange hotel accommodations and food at no additional expense to You for the duration of the delay.

c. If the scheduled port of embarkation or final destination is changed, We will arrange transportation to the new port from the originally scheduled port.If the Cruise is terminated early due to an unresolved mechanical failure, We will make a proportionate refund of the Cruise Fare. In such event, You are also entitled at Our option to transportation to the Ship’s scheduled port of disembarkation or Your home city at Our expense. Additionally, when such disembarkation caused by mechanical failure of the Ship at an unscheduled port requires an overnight stay, You are also entitled to lodging at the unscheduled port of disembarkation at Our expense.

d. If the United States Department of State publishes a Public Announcement regarding a specific country or location included in the scheduled itinerary, We reserve the right to operate the Cruise or CruiseTour as scheduled or to change the itinerary, at Our discretion with no further liability for refund, payment, compensation or credit of any kind.

e. If the Cruise is shortened or terminated, (for reasons other than mechanical failures of the Ship) We will, at Our option, either make a proportionate refund of the Cruise Fare or We will transfer You to another Ship or the port of final destination by other means. If the scheduled length of the Cruise is increased, You will have no responsibility for the cost

of the additional Cruise Fare and We will have no responsibility to pay or compensate You in any manner, including any direct or consequential damages. In either of the above circumstances, Our responsibility ends once We return You to the point of origination as booked and ticketed by Us.

f. If any component of Your CruiseTour, such as the hotel at which You are scheduled to stay, is changed or substituted, We will use reasonable efforts to obtain a substitute for such component which is substantially equivalent thereto, but shall have no liability to You in connection with such substitution or

g. Shore Excursions and Other Transportation, Services and Facilities: We shall in no event be liable to You with respect to any occurrence prior to embarkation or after disembarkation from the Ship named herein or substitute, except for transportation by water which is carried out by means of a conveyance provided by Us including the Ship and our tenders. If we have made arrangements on Your behalf for the provision of travel facilities with various independent contractors, such arrangements were made solely as a convenience and not as an agent of those independent contractors, for which a surcharge may be imposed. Carrier does not undertake to supervise or control such independent contractors or their employees, conveyances or facilities, and accepts no liability for any loss, delay, damage, injury, death, misrepresentation or disappointment whatsoever resulting therefrom. Carrier makes no representation, either express or implied, regarding the suitability, safety, insurance or other aspects of any such independent contractors, transportation, tours, services, products or facilities and Carrier’s liability for nonperformance of any independent contractor providing such facilities or services shall be limited to a refund of the amounts received by Carrier on the Guest’s behalf, if any. We assume no responsibility in whole or in part for any delays, delayed departures or arrivals, missed connections, loss, death, damage or injury to person or property or accident, mechanical defect, failure or negligence of any nature whatever caused in connection with any accommodations, transportation, services or facilities, substitution of hotels, common carriers or equipment with or without notice or for any additional expenses occasioned thereby. We reserve the right to choose the air carrier, routing and gateway locations, as well as the right to substitute charter flights for scheduled service and vice versa. If the entire Cruise or CruiseTour is canceled by Us for any reason, Guests shall have no claim other than for a full refund of the Cruise Fare or the CruiseTour Fare, whichever is applicable. The airlines and other transportation companies concerned are not to be held responsible for any act, omission or event during the time You are not on board their conveyances. This Ticket Contract constitutes the sole agreement between Carrier and You, it being understood that the various independent contractors otherwise participating in the Cruise or CruiseTour will enter into their own separate contractual arrangements with You, and that You assume the risk of utilizing the services and facilities of those independent contractors. Any penalties, change fees or cancellation fees that result from changes to or cancellation of air arrangements are the sole responsibility of the Guest.

Holy cow, that was a long row to hoe, especially for a final answer of "Maybe, maybe not".

Let's face it, the kind of benevolent customer care which Tansy Mews is apparently searching for just is not feasible in this economic climate without a steep price tag.

Even REALLY HIGH END Travel Agents only provide Customer Service on Airline Arrangements to a few, select clients whose other commissions make it worth their while.

Happily, Oceania caters to few enough passengers that there is still some element of human emotion left in the equation. I believe that is the best that you are going to do, for the price of the Air Deviation Fee, alone.

If you want, or need, more than that, then pay for a travel concierge type of service, and be confident that they will do the worrying, regardless of cost. :D

Edited by StanandJim

For the first time I have chosen not to use Oceania air as through my TA I was able to purchase tickets in Canadian for less than what Oceania gave me as an air allowance. On top of that I did not have to pay the deviation fee in USD as well. I have purchased insurance, which I would anyways if I was going to use Oceania air and I am still ahead on the deal. With the tanked Canadian dollar, I am looking more closely now at what I can get for my money.:eek: