Crown Grill Steaks

MsSoCalCruiser

The lobster is a separate order. Since DH and I like our steaks cooked the same we each get an order of lobster and share one steak. With pre entree orders our experience is that for us it would be too filling if we ordered a steak each, but absolutely no problem if that is what you want.

I enjoy lobster but my wife doesn't. This is good information and exactly what I needed to know. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

We have just booked our Royal Princess cruise for Feb 2015 and wondered if the quality of meat is better in Crown Grill than the filet served in the MDR?

Can you book in advance or wait until we get on board?

Back to Princess after a 5 year absence (Celebrity cruising in the 5 years ) .Looking forward to the cruise and no doubt will compare both lines.

Thanks

Scotslizzy

We have just booked our Royal Princess cruise for Feb 2015 and wondered if the quality of meat is better in Crown Grill than the filet served in the MDR?

Can you book in advance or wait until we get on board?

Back to Princess after a 5 year absence (Celebrity cruising in the 5 years ) .Looking forward to the cruise and no doubt will compare both lines.

Thanks

Scotslizzy

There is no comparison. Crown Grill is far superior to MDR steaks,and no you can't book in advance. Just call the DINE line onboard.

We were disappointed with the Crown Grill. The onion soup was sooooooo good (as were all of the appetizers) but I've had a better ribeye from Outback. My husband enjoyed the filet but he said it wasn't much better than the MDR. It could have been an off night as service was terrible too (and we weren't the only ones on our cruise who said so).

I totally admit to being a steak snob though. Ate at Bobby Van's in NYC the next week and there was no comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Had the Crown Grill last May, and didn't care for it too much. I got a ribeye, and should have stuck with a Filet. The ribeye was ok, but wasn't much better than one at Outback in my opinion. I will try it again on my next cruise and maybe go with the Filet next time. The ribeye wasn't very thick, and just seemed of average quality.

I stay away from the Main Dining room beef as that is really average or below average in my opinion. I love all the other choices in MDR, so I am not trying to give the main dining room a bad rap...I just stay away from (most) of the beef dishes.

I'm just curious. Would anyone who has eaten at Crown Grill, and has eaten different types of steak there, please share your opinion about why you prefer the filet?

Since we have never eaten there, and have the opportunity due a perk from our TA, your recommendation is appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by JimAOk1945

is there both the Crown Grill and Sterlings on the Crown or just the C Grill? sorry...appreciating everyone's input!

Crown Grill on the Crown, and other Grand class ships. I believe Sterling is on the Island and Corral. I can't say for sure for the Pacific.

I'm just curious. Would anyone who has eaten at Crown Grill, and has eaten different types of steak there, please share your opinion about why you prefer the filet?

Since we have never eaten there, and have the opportunity due a perk from our TA, your recommendation is appreciated.

Thanks!

I have tried both the Fillet and the Ribeye at the Crown Grill on 3 separate ships (Star/Golden/Grand) over the course of a couple of weeks. The Fillet while tender and (Loving Bearnaise sauce) wasn't anything special, I personally find the fat from the Ribeye is what gives it the flavor, the wife got the sirloin and while it was cooked right just didn't taste as good.

Having had numerous steaks landside (Normally get USDA Prime or AAA Beef from Alberta) from a meat processor as well as having eaten at both the chain (Kegs/Outback/Earl's/Morton's) I would rate the Ribeye at the Crown Grill as being one of the best I have ever eaten anywhere in the world.

I have tried both the Fillet and the Ribeye at the Crown Grill on 3 separate ships (Star/Golden/Grand) over the course of a couple of weeks. The Fillet while tender and (Loving Bearnaise sauce) wasn't anything special, I personally find the fat from the Ribeye is what gives it the flavor, the wife got the sirloin and while it was cooked right just didn't taste as good.

Having had numerous steaks landside (Normally get USDA Prime or AAA Beef from Alberta) from a meat processor as well as having eaten at both the chain (Kegs/Outback/Earl's/Morton's) I would rate the Ribeye at the Crown Grill as being one of the best I have ever eaten anywhere in the world.

Okay, it's the ribeye on my upcoming cruise:D

Thank you!

Janie

Okay, it's the ribeye on my upcoming cruise:D

Thank you!

Janie

When I grill a steak here at home it's going to be a ribeye; I even have a couple bone in ribeye, Cowboy Steaks. I'm fortunate that I get my meat from a local ranch.

Are any "deals" offered on the first evening ? Carnival offers a free bottle of wine for those

eating at the steakhouse on the first night of the cruise.

On both my Celebrity cruises they offered discounts at the pay restaurants on various nights,

both times including the first night.

Edited by richstowe

Are any "deals" offered on the first evening ? Carnival offers a free bottle of wine for those

eating at the steakhouse on the first night of the cruise.

On both my Celebrity cruises they offered discounts at the pay restaurants on various nights,

both times including the first night.

No, never seen a deal at any specialty restaurant on Princess.

Mike:)

Your choice of Crown Grill vs Sterling Steakhouse is determined by which ship you are on. You will have one or the other but not both. We didn't eat at Sterling while on Sea Princess but have eaten at Crown Grill on Star Princess. We enjoyed it greatly. :)

I guess I'm an uncultured rube though as I'm unclear on the concept with the different salt choices. Yes, they are "cool" and "different" but I don't really need a bunch of extra salt...

I am not a steak snob. Pretty simple taste. I can't say I know the difference between most of the cuts named. Normally when I go out I just have Prime Rib. At home we have Tri Tip, Top sirloin, or Petite Sirloin. What cut should I try here? And please don't tell me the one that comes in 22 oz. There is no way I could eat that much meat!

On another note, do they have broccolini? (it's like broccoli but not the same and it's not bocoli rabe either) It is my favorite vege that goes great with steak!

As a person who worked at a steakhouse, I would also say you want to think about how you like your steak cooked. A filet should be medium rare or rare - any higher and you're eating basically leather. If you like things cooked to a medium well temp, get something with marbling. I think this link explains it decently - http://www.majestickc.com/steak-cuts/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm looking forward to dinner at the Crown Grill with my friend. I've been to the Crown three times so far and I have enjoyed it each time. All three times I have ordered the fillet mignon (with a side of lobster). I'm thinking about trying something different. Has anyone tried the ribeye or porterhouse steaks? If so, how would you rate them?

I just wanted to add that I really liked trying the various salts offered at the crown grill.

:):):)

Just of the Ruby and had the Ribeye and it was so juicy and tender..I'd rate it a 10 for sure.

For flavor and the best all around steak, the ribeye cannot be beat! We eat in the steakhouse on each cruise and one of us always gets the ribeye and the other gets something else and we split the portions.

The fillet is always tender but the ribeye has much more flavor. The pork shop is also done extremely well.

Happy Cruising:D:D