Crown Grill Steaks

MsSoCalCruiser

We were disappointed with the Crown Grill. The onion soup was sooooooo good (as were all of the appetizers) but I've had a better ribeye from Outback. My husband enjoyed the filet but he said it wasn't much better than the MDR. It could have been an off night as service was terrible too (and we weren't the only ones on our cruise who said so).

I totally admit to being a steak snob though. Ate at Bobby Van's in NYC the next week and there was no comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm with you on this one. Husband and I have tried CG three times (Grand and Golden) and each time they were tough and gristly. The lobster was rubbery and tasteless. One shouldn't have to dump it in butter to enjoy the flavor. Each new time we tried the porterhouse, the sirloin, and ribeye hoping we made a bad choice the time before. We enjoyed the sides and the soup. Didn't like any of the desserts. There's nothing "fine dining" about the experience at all. We won't go back. Three times is enough.

I am very happy that the majority of you enjoyed your meals there and I am sure that with all of the positive responses that we just didn't luck out, three times.

Edited by iceleven

No votes for the bone in ribeye? I believe they call it a chop. Always my favorite.

The only name I've heard/seen for a bone-in ribeye is the Cowboy Steak. I would surmise that during the Wild West era, Cowboys would take the ribeye steak by the long bone to eat it. Guess forks and steak knives weren't too prevalent back then.

I'm with you on this one. Husband and I have tried CG three times (Grand and Golden) and each time they were tough and gristly. The lobster was rubbery and tasteless. One shouldn't have to dump it in butter to enjoy the flavor. Each new time we tried the porterhouse, the sirloin, and ribeye hoping we made a bad choice the time before. We enjoyed the sides and the soup. Didn't like any of the desserts. There's nothing "fine dining" about the experience at all. We won't go back. Three times is enough.

I am very happy that the majority of you enjoyed your meals there and I am sure that with all of the positive responses that we just didn't luck out, three times.

Interesting how things can be different at different times. I enjoyed the Crown Grill on the Golden and the Grand. I liked the Crown Dependence dessert. (nice variety.)

I don't think either of us is wrong, I just think that things are different at different times.

I don't think either of us is wrong' date=' I just think that things are different at different times.[/quote']

I agree. I have had a wonderful experience at Sterling's on the Sapphire and then the next cruise it was just ok. Same ship.

fb51c028eb48f9b616726c41acecb75a_zpsc04995f3.jpg

The only name I've heard/seen for a bone-in ribeye is the Cowboy Steak. I would surmise that during the Wild West era, Cowboys would take the ribeye steak by the long bone to eat it. Guess forks and steak knives weren't too prevalent back then.

No votes for the bone in ribeye? I believe they call it a chop. Always my favorite.

If you look at the picture above there is a Stirling Silver Beef Chop (I think that's what it says... my eyes aren't that great) that looks a lot like the Cowboy Steak. It's obviously a different cut but I think that's probably both the "bone-in ribeye" and the "cowboy steak".

I'm wondering if I could get my wife to share a ribeye (or the chop) with me and then get lobster as well. I just really hate ordering food that I can't eat because it's too much. I absolutely love ribeye and it is for the reason others have posted above. It tends to have the most "flavor" of the cuts due to the marbling. (I'm also the guy who does eat that fat. OMG it's GOOD!!!)

I fear this won't work for me though as my wife would much rather order salmon anywhere before ordering beef. (The poor woman is delusional but then I've noticed who she married so I guess I can't hold it against her too much.)

I love the filet but I miss that marbled goodness of the ribeye. The real problem is that, although I am fat, it's solid fat rather than being hollow fat so I just can't eat that 22 oz. of fabulous goodness.

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoy the filet with lobster tails..You can ask for the tails to be added to your filet dinner. I have also enjoyed the lamb chops.

Hubby has enjoyed the NY strip and the rib-eye steak.

We also enjoy the onion soup!:D

The best steaks we have ever eaten are the t-bones and porterhouse steaks that my hubby grills at home!;):D

The ribeye I had on the Ruby a couple of weeks ago might have been the best steak I've ever had. Of course it was accompanied by a few small lobster tails.. Ask for one, they bring four..

What grade of beef? Prime or Choice?

Do they have Kobe, Wagu, or Angus beef?

Hormone free beef?

Do they serve the tomahawk cut?

THanks,

Edited by Kingofcool1947

I tried the rib chop (bone-in ribeye) on the Golden last week and it was not very good, I should have sent it back. Others had the ribeye and had a better steak, filet was also pretty good.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We were on the Sapphire last month and there was an extra charge of $10 to add the lobster tails. Going on the Regal in a few weeks and would like to know if this is being done fleet wide.

Years ago there was a surcharge to add the tails but it was one big one

They took the large lobster tails off the menu altogether. Now in recent cruises they gave the little ones with no charge. This is the first I'm hearing of an additional charge. If they do charge and its still the small ones, it's not worth the money.

So can any steak lovers here answer what they serve in the Crown Grill?

USDA Prime or Choice?

Do they serve Kobe, or American Wagu?

Is the beef corn or grass fed?

Is the beef hormone free?

Do they serve a Tomahawk cut bone -in ribeye?

Is Crown Grill comparable to what you will find at Morton's , Peter Lugar's NYC, or Palm steakhouse quality?

Edited by Kingofcool1947

I would be amazed to see USDA Prime grade beef in the Crown Grill. The menu would most definitely state Prime if that is what is served.

What grade of beef? Prime or Choice?

Do they have Kobe, Wagu, or Angus beef?

Hormone free beef?

Do they serve the tomahawk cut?

THanks,

This is the brand that I was told they use, not sure if they have changed: http://www.sterlingsilvermeats.com/Premium-Beef/

Not sure of the grade (choice or prime) but it doesn't taste like prime to me. I live in Nebraska and we can get prime easily here. I did ask and they kept repeating that it is Sterling Silver steak.

According to this website: http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/Onboard_Experience/CrownGrill-2013-Sample.pdf

It is corn fed.

A tomahawk cut is a bone in ribeye with the entire bone in tact. They sometimes do have a bone in ribeye but not the entire huge bone that extends way past the meat.

No - they do not have Kobe or Wagu. I am only family with Certified Angus Beef (CAB) and it doesn't seem to be of that high of quality. It doesn't compare to Ruth Chris's or Morton's. I have not been to the other steak houses.

I have had mixed experiences at the steak houses on Princess. Sometimes they have been pretty good and other times, just ok. It is usually a good meal for $25. Don't expect a $75 steak meal here.

Edited by Coral

This is the brand that I was told they use, not sure if they have changed: http://www.sterlingsilvermeats.com/Premium-Beef/

Not sure of the grade (choice or prime) but it doesn't taste like prime to me. I live in Nebraska and we can get prime easily here. I did ask and they kept repeating that it is Sterling Silver steak.

According to this website: http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/Onboard_Experience/CrownGrill-2013-Sample.pdf

It is corn fed.

A tomahawk cut is a bone in ribeye with the entire bone in tact. They sometimes do have a bone in ribeye but not the entire huge bone that extends way past the meat.

No - they do not have Kobe or Wagu. I am only family with Certified Angus Beef (CAB) and it doesn't seem to be of that high of quality. It doesn't compare to Ruth Chris's or Morton's. I have not been to the other steak houses.

I have had mixed experiences at the steak houses on Princess. Sometimes they have been pretty good and other times, just ok. It is usually a good meal for $25. Don't expect a $75 steak meal here.

Thanks Coral!

You know your beef

In your opinion, is it a cut above Outback Steakhouse or Stewart Anderson's Black Angus Steakhouse, other "family" steakhouses?

DW and I will give Crown Grill a try on our 10 night Mexico cruise

Regards,

King

We were on the Sapphire last month and there was an extra charge of $10 to add the lobster tails. Going on the Regal in a few weeks and would like to know if this is being done fleet wide.

Just off the Golden Princess and there was not an extra charge for the lobster tails. We each had 4 smalls ones in addition to our steaks.

Thanks Coral!

You know your beef

In your opinion, is it a cut above Outback Steakhouse or Stewart Anderson's Black Angus Steakhouse, other "family" steakhouses?

Regards,

King

I think it is great that you will give the Crown Grill a try. That is the best way to know how you feel about the steak served. I have loved my experiences in the Crown Grill but have sailed with a couple of people who had some issues. Keep in mind, you are on a cruise ship and paying $25.00. You aren't in a land based restaurant and paying $100.00 or so for your meal. Heck, for $25.00 in Orange County, CA $25.00 buys me a tough flank steak.:D:D:D

I always get Filet Mignon. I always find it much better than the Outback or those types of restaurants. FYI, I'm not a fan of either of those steakhouses. I don't know if the steak is Choice or Prime but I do know I have enjoyed my Filet more at the Crown Grill than I have at Morton's. I've been to Morton's many times. They have good steak, but in my opinion, not that much better than the Crown Grill. I can go to the Crown Grill for $25.00. When I go to Morton's I seem to easily drop 3 times that amount for dinner, if not more.:eek::eek::eek:

Edited by MichelleinOC

Just off the Golden Princess and there was not an extra charge for the lobster tails. We each had 4 smalls ones in addition to our steaks.

I think it is great that you will give the Crown Grill a try. That is the best way to know how you feel about the steak served. I have loved my experiences in the Crown Grill but have sailed with a couple of people who had some issues. Keep in mind, you are on a cruise ship and paying $25.00. You aren't in a land based restaurant and paying $100.00 or so for your meal. Heck, for $25.00 in Orange County, CA $25.00 buys me a tough flank steak.:D:D:D

I always get Filet Mignon. I always find it much better than the Outback or those types of restaurants. FYI, I'm not a fan of either of those steakhouses. I don't know if the steak is Choice or Prime but I do know I have enjoyed my Filet more at the Crown Grill than I have at Morton's. I've been to Morton's many times. They have good steak, but in my opinion, not that much better than the Crown Grill. I can go to the Crown Grill for $25.00. When I go to Morton's I seem to easily drop 3 times that amount for dinner, if not more.:eek::eek::eek:

Thank you MichelleinOC.

I eat my steaks rare to medium rare . Bone-in Ribeye my preference. Keeping fingers crossed for a tender

steak.

Is the lobster tail cold water or warm water lobster? One poster said he/she along with steak, orders four lobster tails. So they must be really small (3 oz.) tails? What did you think of their quality? Sweet and tender or tough and chewey? Worth the extra surcharge?

Regards, and safe travels.

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Thanks Coral!

You know your beef

Regards,

King

Steakhouses are my thing, literally plan trips around the local steakhouses. I've eaten in some of the most famous, Peter Luger's, Wolfgang's, Keens and Primehouse.

The Crown Grill is never going to be in the same league as any of these places. The ship isn't stocking world class prime beef and dry aging it, but they are cranking out a very tasty meal. I would say it is a big step up from Outback or Stewart Anderson's. Part of what makes it good is the great service and the sides are fantastic.

I don't know what your preferences for dining or your plans are, but if you have any engaging waiter and are feeling adventuresome, order your meat and ask the waiter to surprise you with the rest. They will load your table down with food and fill you to the bursting point. On the dessert front, I am not terribly impressed, the sampler was okay, but found them to generally be a lot of sweet.

Steakhouses are my thing, literally plan trips around the local steakhouses. I've eaten in some of the most famous, Peter Luger's, Wolfgang's, Keens and Primehouse.

The Crown Grill is never going to be in the same league as any of these places. The ship isn't stocking world class prime beef and dry aging it, but they are cranking out a very tasty meal. I would say it is a big step up from Outback or Stewart Anderson's. Part of what makes it good is the great service and the sides are fantastic.

I don't know what your preferences for dining or your plans are, but if you have any engaging waiter and are feeling adventuresome, order your meat and ask the waiter to surprise you with the rest. They will load your table down with food and fill you to the bursting point. On the dessert front, I am not terribly impressed, the sampler was okay, but found them to generally be a lot of sweet.

cougaraz,

Thanks! Bone-in ribeye rare-medium rare. :)

Regards,

King.