Embarkation in Puerto Rico

slyster

So, just my own observation from my cruise last week. This was our third time sailing out of Puerto Rico. We arrived to the pier around 1:00 and were stalled outside for a good 45 minutes before they let some folks into the building for check in. It was almost as though they were only allowing a certain number in each time. When we walked into the building, we went to the fast check in line for diamond members (other levels too) and we were the only people in line there. The other regular check in line was a little long though. So, overall it took about an hour.

I also remember two years ago arriving to the pier around 10am and having to wait outside for quite some time.

I'm curious about folks comparision of embarkation in Puerto Rico compared to other piers. Last year in Baltimore, we arrived at 10:30am and were inside and checked in within 15 minutes. Three years ago was Puerto Rico with quite a long wait outside. Then I remembered Oasis a few years ago. We arrived around 10:30 or 11:00 and we were on the ship within 15 minutes.

It's just my third time in Puerto Rico and I realized the embarkation process there seems to take longer, at least in our experience.

Edited by slyster

Sarah - I am with you. We got to port at about 11:30 and waited until after noon time for the doors to open and then it was quite a long wait until we were allowed on the ship and our cruise could begin! In Royal's defense, we did get an email that said to arrive 1PM to 7PM and we ignored it as we always have gotten on at 11:30 at Cape Liberty. My guess is that the ship was not disembarked early enough and the ship was ready for us? Was this a repositioning before our cruise? I also wondered if it was due to language problem - I noticed a lot of employees for whom English was not the primary language in the embarkation area!

It was great to meet you and Cindi - maybe on another cruise we will see you!!

Barbara

I'm curious to know if this is the standard at the Pan America pier. We are sailing on the Jewel in January and if this is the case we will go to the fort in OSJ in the morning and get to the pier after 12:00. We have a GS booked. I'm hoping that there will be a separate line for the suites so we won't have to wait so outside. Is this the case?

I'm curious to know if this is the standard at the Pan America pier. We are sailing on the Jewel in January and if this is the case we will go to the fort in OSJ in the morning and get to the pier after 12:00. We have a GS booked. I'm hoping that there will be a separate line for the suites so we won't have to wait so outside. Is this the case?

Yes, there is a priority line at the terminal, but you still have to wait outside until they start the check-in process.

We almost always arrive at the pier around 11:30. SJU is our favorite place to embark a cruise!!!! We are almost always in the building (and most times on the ship) by 12:00. However, things can happen that cause delays. Almost every cruise within the last year we received emails stating there may be delays due to decreased staffing in Customs and Immigration. We have not experienced any excessive delays in SJU with the exception of one cruise about 3 years ago. It was 4:00 pm before they were able to open the terminal for check-in. This was due to the ship had just returned from Europe after 2 years (or so) and the Coast Guard, Customs, Immigration, etc were very strict that day so caused long delays. The crew (including Captain) had to stand in line for over 6 hours to be cleared. This taught us to look when booking and make sure that the prior cruise wasn't a reposition. If it was, we go to the pier much later. Again, SJU is our favorite port for embarkation.

We just (last month) had an amazing quick easy embarkation at the Pan American pier. We arrived at 2:00 no lines and we literally checked in and boarded the ship..may have just been our timing..but couldn't have been easier...

The disembarkation also couldn't have been easier...off the ship at 7:30am (no self assist but in the first D+ group) and at SJU and checked in (including the agri. check) just after 8:30am...

Wow is all I can say about this port !!

I will say that disembarkation was awesome...a breeze! We left the ship with one of the first groups (#10) and were literally outside waiting for a taxi within 10 minutes of being called from the safari lounge.

I guess after having 3 separate experiences of having to wait for a period of time made me wonder. This hasn't happened on any of our other cruises. It's hot in Puerto Rico at 1pm and was probably around 100 degree heat index that day.

My favorite embarkation was probably Ft. Lauderadale (Oasis) which literally took 5 or 10 minutes and then my home port of Baltimore which took less than 10 minutes as well. Both being early (10:30 or 11:00).

Barbara, I'm glad we met! Thanks for everything!

I don't like PR port at all. I got at the airport like at 9am but I was waiting for some friends that were in another fly. Finally got to the port around 11 and the lines were super disorganized and people were really mad. You drop your luggages in one section and then make a huge line. We were a group of 7 ranging ages from 7 to 66 and I really wanted to skip the line. I have the porter 20 dollars and I asked straight forward that I didn't want to make the line. He sent us to a reception desk with an excuse to get inside and once there we went to check in.

I felt bad for the rest of the people but I also didn't want to make that huge line. The fact that I skipped line also prove how chaotic and unfair that port is.

In miami and Ft Lauderdale there might be lines but I don't mind making then but it PR it fells like, let's find a way to cheat the line

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I don't like PR port at all. I got at the airport like at 9am but I was waiting for some friends that were in another fly. Finally got to the port around 11 and the lines were super disorganized and people were really mad. You drop your luggages in one section and then make a huge line. We were a group of 7 ranging ages from 7 to 66 and I really wanted to skip the line. I have the porter 20 dollars and I asked straight forward that I didn't want to make the line. He sent us to a reception desk with an excuse to get inside and once there we went to check in.

I felt bad for the rest of the people but I also didn't want to make that huge line. The fact that I skipped line also prove how chaotic and unfair that port is.

In miami and Ft Lauderdale there might be lines but I don't mind making then but it PR it fells like, let's find a way to cheat the line

It's just all about you, isn't it? :(

We are sailing out of SJ twice in the near future. Sort of a b2b. If the check-in is stalled and there's a long line outside, we will just drop off our luggage, catch a cab, and go sit somewhere pleasant and look at the ocean with a cool drink. No need for bribery and line jumping. Geesh.

We must have gotten lucky in June. We left our hotel at 10:15. Arrived at the pier at 10:30. Handed over our bags and walked right up to the counter. Checked in and was seated by 10:40. At 10:55 a lady talked to us about the boarding process, and we boarded at 11. We were not priority or in a suite, just regular folks.

Wow...you "had" to wait for friends at the airport...so sad :(...Then you were faced with a line of people at the pier...so sad :(... Then you were able to pay your way to board in front of them and your words "cheat the line"....Then you felt "bad" for them....Really :rolleyes::mad:

I don't mind waiting in a long line for a lovely vacation. I'm blessed to be there at all. I just chat with folks or people watch. I'd never buy my way ahead of others who arrived earlier...and probably dislike lines equally as I. Kindness and selflessness pays itself forward, even if only in the heart.

Pathetic on so many levels...... Gee there are 3,000+ people boarding, imagine there might be a line..........:rolleyes:

Lines and waiting--that's life. Chat with companions, meet someone new, or bring along a book. Impatience is not a good way to start off a cruise vacation.

Do you know how many years of your life are wasted in line? ‼️I don't mind wasting my time in something that I want to do but making a line 👫outside the port standing ☀️that's a line I will try to skip.

Everyone goals are different, I don't go to a cruise to meet someone new or read a book. We only agree in one topic "Impatience is not a good way to start off a cruise" I'm glad that I always find a way not to be impatient. 😀

I, for one, was not complaining just reporting the facts! I enjoyed my cruise - just wish we didn't have to wait as long as we did! Unfortunately, coming from a hotel, we were a little limited in where we could wait and what time we could go to port. We actually met up with a bunch of people on our Roll Call and had a great time speaking to each other.

Disembarkation was easy - only had to wait in Safari Club for about 15 minutes and then off the ship and to the airport. I am glad for the people who were able to get right to the port and board - we were just relaying what happened on 11/1 Jewel of Seas embarkation.

Do you know how many years of your life are wasted in line? ‼️I don't mind wasting my time in something that I want to do but making a line outside the port standing ☀️that's a line I will try to skip.

Everyone goals are different, I don't go to a cruise to meet someone new or read a book. We only agree in one topic "Impatience is not a good way to start off a cruise" I'm glad that I always find a way not to be impatient.

Everyone who has read or will read your post is very well aware of what your goals are and how you manage your impatience. :rolleyes:

Enough said...no need to respond :mad:

I'm glad that I always find a way not to be impatient. Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The point several of us are trying to make here is that bribing a porter and jumping ahead of the line is really an extremely unfair and tacky way to alleviate your impatience. Just in case you didn't understand some of the previous posts.

The point several of us are trying to make here is that bribing a porter and jumping ahead of the line is really an extremely unfair and tacky way to alleviate your impatience. Just in case you didn't understand some of the previous posts.

Pcur: That is well said and thank you for making the point--which clearly needed to be reinforced. Deliberately being less than honest (and kind) is something one should NOT share on public forums. I hope I speak for us all when I say there is usually a sense of togetherness while we endure a line. I don't go on cruises to "make friends" either, but I'd also NEVER bribe or lie to cut others for my own personal satisfaction. Even worse would be to do it and brag about it. Seriously. Unacceptable.

~Jacey ]