Mariner Rescue

Tucruisers

Minor drama this morning as Mariner came to the rescue of a Mexican fishing boat 30 miles off the coast of Manzanilla. We noticed the ship coming to a sharp stop just before 7.30am then turn. Number 3 lifeboat was launched to bring the small boat with 3 guys on it alongside. Calm seas, even so the Mariner seamen did a great and professional job to get the small craft tied up starboard and then ship's crew sorted out the problem (battery) and gave provisions. The Mexicans had been drifting all the previous day and night so were happy to see us!

Captain Felice kept us informed of what was happening from the Bridge. Now underway, so one good deed from RSS Mariner and impressive seamanship and communications.

My goodness, there must be a lot of lost fishermen. My friend just returned from a cruise in the Caribbean, and they assisted a boat in distress. She said they tethered to the ship, the crew sent out several boxes, and then they were released. The Captain said that the Coast Guard had been adivsed of their location so they could go and assist them further.

Hmmmm - could these guys have figured out a good way to get provisions? ;)

My goodness, there must be a lot of lost fishermen. My friend just returned from a cruise in the Caribbean, and they assisted a boat in distress. She said they tethered to the ship, the crew sent out several boxes, and then they were released. The Captain said that the Coast Guard had been adivsed of their location so they could go and assist them further.

Hmmmm - could these guys have figured out a good way to get provisions? ;)

These guys had been adrift in the Pacific in a tiny boat for more than 24 hours more than 30 miles offshore so it was a genuine rescue. I thought at first that they flew a black flag, when the came alongside could see it was a bin liner tied to a paddle. BTW great to see concern of all on board was for the guys on the boat, not disruption to our cruise. Although, not sure how much We would have wanted to stop if it had been off the coast of Somalia.