Fresh Off The Oasis Review Not Impressed

hydro1570

We just stepped off the Oasis this morning and I was totally not impressed. I mean the ship is beautiful don't get me wrong, but for just coming out of dry dock there were many issues. We also did not have the exceptional service we normally have on other RCI ships. I felt some areas of the ship to be run down and dirty... our cabin for instance had major dust all over the room and under the bed was gross. When we went to place the luggage under the bed we notice how much dust was down there. I also thought Johnny Rockets was dirty and run down, the service there was horrible as well.

Our toilets in both of our cabins stopped working a total of three times during the week and sometimes lasted hours before repair. I know this can happen and they really don't have control over it, but it just stinks when you have little ones and don't really want them using public bathrooms. Also I felt they should have let guest know about the toilet issues because people that didn't know were using the bathroom and stinking up their cabin for hours. At one point they had to snake the pipes in our hallway and everywhere smelled like crap. :eek:

My little one went to Adventure Ocean a few times and had a decent time although I feel the camps on other ships were much better. They did far more activities with the kids on the Liberty of The Seas. During our stop at Labadee I had to leave my child in the camp on the beach so my husband & I could do our wave runner tour and I was very disappointed to find out that she was not even offered water! It is very hot and sunny with little shade in that camp area on the beach and those kids should have access to a water cooler whenever they get thirsty. This made me really unhappy.

Then when my teen daughter went to use the rock wall yesterday her seapass card would not scan and the man working the counter told her "she didn't belong on the ship & she was not supposed to be on the Oasis." really?! :roll eyes: Then once he was finally able to scan her card she was asking for climbing shoes and he yelled at her to "stop guessing her shoe size!" If any of you have used those shoes you know they don't always run true to size and for that employee to yell at a child to get her shoe size correct was a bit uncalled for. Then to make matters worse I walked over to watch my little one climb the wall because she was to the far area where it was difficult to see and I was told I couldn't go over there unless I was taking photos. Now I didn't have my camera or cell phone on me at this time... I understand a rule is a rule, but what really got me upset was that there were to young men standing in that same area watching their friend climb, but a mother was not allowed to watch her child.:( They did have cell phones in their hands, but they were not taking photos. I found this to be very unfair and at this point I went to guest services with all of my issues with this gentleman, but what a huge waste of time.

Guest services from the second we walked on this ship to the second we left had no idea what was going on. They were clueless when asked questions and kept pointing us in the wrong direction. I booked all of our cruise planner reservation months in advance and come to find out when we boarded the ship all of our reservations were either gone or rearranged. They now had us scheduled to see al three shows at the same time during the first night.. how wcould we have pulled that off:roll eyes: guest services didn't even know what to say or where to send me to get help with that matter. Just complete chaos in my eyes.

My teen daughter did not find much to do on the ship for her age and had a much better time on the Liberty of The Seas. I think the age range from 12-17 is just too wide of a range... no 17 year old wants to hang with a 12 year old. Also, when they did have something planned for that age group nobody would show up.. what does that tell you.

I think while the ship was absolutely beautiful and huge.... I would much rather prefer a smaller ship. I feel everything from service to food to cleanliness was much better on all other RCI ships I have been on.

I totally understand your frustration.

Small things can escalate and leave a bad taste.

I am just trying to guess how long it takes for the hard core loyalist to turn the tables on you.

Commenting on how your problems are completely insignificant, a non-issue, and RC did nothing wrong.

Making you into a troll.....

I know as I have seen this happen plenty of times on these boards. I am just trying to share with others a few things that happened to us on the ship this week. If anyone says that having young children in a camp on the beach in the caribbean heat for hours without water is insignificant they have their own issues.

As for the man in the sports area, yes maybe he was just having a bad day, but you don't treat people like that especially a child!

I am not saying my vacation was horrible because it was not. I am quite happy on any cruise. I enjoyed myself and had a good time. It is just not the best cruise I have been on and I don't think I would go on that ship again.

Thank you for the review. I am going on the oasis in June. We have been on Royal freedom of the seas and experienced issues too.

We have been on three carnival cruises in the last few years. The new one carnival breeze twice and the dream. We had such a great time with know issues. Now returning to Royal should be interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our toilets didn't work from 5 PM -3 AM on deck 11 on the TA Oct. Oasis. Sounds like they are still having issues....

Plus, Customer Service was the worst we have had on many, many RCL ships, so that seems to have not improved either since dry dock TA......:rolleyes:

Reservations were mixed up and changed as well and the TV did not show them correctly.....

There is more than one whole thread about the TA Oasis Oct. 14 & 15 following dry dock.

Sorry it wasn't up to RCL's normal standards.........

Our Sept. 1 TA on Oasis was soooo much better than the Oct. TA!?:confused: We did have a good time but it was a disappointing cruise.

I am just trying to guess how long it takes for the hard core loyalist to turn the tables on you.

Commenting on how your problems are completely insignificant, a non-issue, and RC did nothing wrong.

Time to circle the wagons. Tight too

We just got off this morning too.We did have a much different experience then you though.Yes our toilet stoppep flushing for a small period of time on two occasions.No big deal.Never in cabin very long anyways.Both kids loved adventure ocean.Age 7 and 11 and actually beg to go back daily.We have been on the frredom class and navigator class as well and always have a much better time on oasis class by far.Cabin and common areas were quite clean.We didnt notice anything dirty anywhere..Much more for kids to do on oasis class by far.I dont know about your child not being offered water..Im quite sure your child was since mine was there and had plenty to drink.Not true in our case in labadee.Sailing in nov is not a good time of yr for your daughters age range(12-17).There were only 500 kids total on oasis this week.(thats newborn to 17)That number is much higher when you cruise during school vacation times.Sorry you had a bad cruise.But just goes to show you how oppisite a time two families on same cruise can have.We loved Oasis and will be back in April.Highly recommend Oasis to anyone.Weve been on Allure as well and had just as good a time.Johnny rockets was spic n span clean and service was great.Did not look run down in any way.In fact quite the opposite.Are you sure you were on Oasis?I honestly didnt see or experience anything like you did.

Our reservations for shows were as reserved.Yes a show was moved to another day but royal sent us an email prior to cruise indicating that change and to review the show reservations. Did you not get an email?Guest services had an answer for all my questions and the appropriate ones at that.

Edited by rtazz17

Quoted from OP:

Our toilets in both of our cabins stopped working a total of three times during the week and sometimes lasted hours before repair. I know this can happen and they really don't have control over it, but it just stinks when you have little ones and don't really want them using public bathrooms. Also I felt they should have let guest know about the toilet issues because people that didn't know were using the bathroom and stinking up their cabin for hours. At one point they had to snake the pipes in our hallway and everywhere smelled like crap.

How unfortunate for you to have a bad vacation experience.

The plumbing issue would really pi^^ me off, especially if it left a bad odor in the cabin.

I can only hope they remedy the issues before we sail in August.

Thanks for your post.

Better travels in the future.

Sea ya

Edited by Lionesss
clarification

How unfortunate for you to have a bad vacation experience.

The plumbing issue would really pi^^ me off, especially if it left a bad odor in the cabin.

I can only hope they remedy the issues before we sail in August.

Thanks for your post.

Better travels in the future.

Sea ya

The plumbing issue was really a non issue and there was absolutely no odor.

many of us can commiserate with the OP problems as you've attested to in your first couple of sentences. Your comments following that...really unnecessary and pretty much makes the troll comment 'fit like a glove.'

<The plumbing issue was really a non issue and there was absolutely no odor>

Were you in her room or on her deck? I just got off a cruise and my end of the hall was perfect but the middle of the deck it stunk so bad. We were so happy not to have any plumbing issues. I would hate guest services, that has got to be the suckiest job on the boat. I can't imagine dealing with all the complaints. I hope you have a better time next cruise.

If you look at Cruise Critic Member reviews for the Oasis, the reviews for the western transatlantic crossing are almost all terrible and there are a lot of them. Some of the review writers have posted on this board, also, but there are quite a number of others.

Sometimes there will be a bad review of a sailing, and then good reviews for the same sailing. For this sailing for the Oasis, bad review follows bad review. If you go back far enough to get to reviews out of Ft. Lauderdale, they are mostly very good.

This cruise either had the most disgruntled group of people ever cruising, or multiple things were wrong for too many people.

I was on the Oasis in May and had a great cruise. It was like I was on a different ship when I read the reviews.

I heard many people from different decks speaking of the plumbing issues this week on the cruise. I myself had two cabins on deck seven and unfortunately they weren't always fixed quickly. One time they were fixed rapidly & others 2 times they weren't. I am sure they were on it trying to repair them quickly, but didn't happen so quickly were we were. And to be quite honest it is an issue to me when we cannot use our own "clean" bathroom. I went into a public restroom myself on deck 14 and found feces on the toilets. I already don't like letting my little one use public bathrooms as it is and if she had to go when our toilets weren't working I had no choice.

My daughter was taken to camp quite early as we had a tour to catch. She stayed for about 2- 2 1/2 hrs at the camp on the beach. I asked the lady who signed her in if they would have access to water and she said yes. We were already so hot and thirsty after walking from the ship to camp area on the beach. Maybe its because it was early that they didn't have drinks available, but thats no excuse because they sell excursions for early times and parents need the camp for their children. We were even looking for drinks for our older teens before we went on our tour and they were not "setup" yet so I guess the employees were still unloading supplies or whatever.

My family and I also felt the same about the food in the windjammer being a little less tasty than we have previously experienced on other ships. One night we went there and left because the food was not great... this is the night we went to Johnny Rockets 11/13 and nobody even came to our table for over ten minutes to greet us. The supervisor in the restaurant was yelling at the workers over who is going to take what tables and it wasn't even busy there. I just didn't get it. Now on a previous night we went to Sabor across from Johnny Rockets and had excellent service and food.

I never once said I had a BAD vacation/cruise. I actually really enjoyed myself and the time spent with my family. I just said I was not impressed with the Oasis... being all the hype I have heard about this ship it did not meet my expectations at all. I love Royal Caribbean and I will sail with them again in the near future I will just not go on this ship again.

I was on Oasis last week and have to agree with first post....not impressed. I have been on Allure 2x and Oasis once before. I had little glitches all through cruise. Some however were beyond Royal's control so not placing blame anywhere. Started with first night not getting my luggage! My 2 cabin mates got theirs very later 7pm...later than any of the 20 plus cruises I have been on. I told the room steward if she knew anything of it. Nope was her reply. I called guest services and they directed me to lost luggage room. Wasn't there. They said they should be through by 8 pm with delivering luggage. Checked back after going to dinner in my travel clothes. (no comments were made, luckily) I checked in again. No luggage anywhere. I accidentally got off on DECK 6 and thought I will just walk down this hallway and down the stairs when lo and behold, here is my luggage sitting outside a door . Right room but WRONG DECK. Should have been 9 not 6. Let this be a lesson for those not getting their luggage....the 2 numbers on the luggage tags can and will be misread. The room steward down there took time off from his eve. services to bring my luggage up to deck 9. He got my WOW card.!! It was nearly 10 pm so kudos to him!! Little things like this happened all week. Never before so many on 1 cruise!!

many of us can commiserate with the OP problems as you've attested to in your first couple of sentences. Your comments following that...really unnecessary and pretty much makes the troll comment 'fit like a glove.'

That's because that is exactly what he is. He only comes around to stir the pot and get a rise out of people. Fits like a glove for sure. Strangely enough, hours later, his accusations have failed to take place.

Consider the source.

Edited by ryano

Before you make accusations.

My comments(which are accurate) have single handedly fended off almost any negative comment toward the OP.

Just because I called them out before they did it.

I have been around here long enough to understand he minds of the loyalist.

Even the "wantoobees" that whom have barely cruised.......

AGREED!!!! And say nonsense like "well perhaps you are better suited to Carnival or a lesser cruise line ". Enjoy your cruise there

Or

"Obviously you know nothing about a quality high-end cruise, so maybe you should stay on land ..."

They're coming, Matj .. we both know it.

Before you make accusations.

My comments(which are accurate) have single handedly fended off almost any negative comment toward the OP.

Just because I called them out before they did it.

Message boards don't actually work that way.

If a person comes in and complains about things that are silly, they are called on it. If a person comes in and complains about things that are righteous, wrong, and not OK, they are called on nothing, because it's a righteous (or well-worded) vent. Simple.

The plumbing issue was really a non issue and there was absolutely no odor.

Oh really? And just where are you reporting that helpful tidbit of information from ? Were you there with the OP experiencing what they did? :rolleyes:

Thank you for the review.

since dry dock, her reviews have not shined.

Many older 17 year olds only seem to go to the teen club once (perhaps hoping to meet peers the first night) or not at all (perhaps thinking they will meet others on deck or not at all). And November cruise while schools are in session generally have fewer kids of all ages. So begins a cycle of fewer and fewer teens attending. I'm not sure it much matters how the cruise line defines the age bracket; it may be the behavior/perferences of the average older teen. If your teen wanted to participate in teen wanted organized teen activities, she may have had the same experience on many ships on a November cruise.

Kids club when school is in session will always be iffy, no way around it. I'm taking my daughter on the Oasis on January 31 when she is tracked out (NC year round) and I'm already planning as if we will need to find activities in the evening when she would otherwise be at the club (middle schooler).

Toilet problems suck, extensive dust under the bed as well. The latter the cabin steward should have fixed after a request.

No one has ever refurbed a ship of this size and it shows. Too many things done in a short period of time, and as such some details were overlooked. If there is a bright side, it is that they should be more prepared for the Allure dry dock.

Me? I'm just grateful for this extended shakedown ahead of my January cruise.