Iguazu Falls - Yellow Fever shots

priddiscats

Will be spending two nights at the Sheraton on the Argentina side in January 2015, after departing our Antarctic cruise. It is very difficult to get a straight answer, if we should be vaccinated for Yellow Fever or not. Being over 60, we are at added risk for complications from the vaccine. Have any others struggled with this problem?

Will be spending two nights at the Sheraton on the Argentina side in January 2015, after departing our Antarctic cruise. It is very difficult to get a straight answer, if we should be vaccinated for Yellow Fever or not. Being over 60, we are at added risk for complications from the vaccine. Have any others struggled with this problem?

We spent time at the Sheraton a few years ago. Prior to going we went to a travel clinic and they carefully looked over our itinerary. Both my husband and I are over 60, yet it was recommended that we get the YF shots due to the fact that the Iguazu area is endemic for Yellow Fever. Our medical history was also carefully examined prior to administering the shots. Neither of us had any reaction to the shots. They protect you for 10 years.

Age is only one factor to consider when determining whether to get the vaccination. This should be thoroughly discussed with a health care professional. While we all can provide advice here, that is all it is. Only you can make that decision and it is based on many factors.

One thing the travel nurse said that stuck in my mind: If the mosquito is going to bite you, it is not going to ask if you received the shot or have a waiver.

The falls are amazing both on the Argentine and Brazil sides, and in my opinion, not to be missed. It would be a shame not to go, just because you are reluctant to get the YF shots. They are not required, but you would be protected from the disease if you were bitten. Again, only you and your health care professional can make that decision.

Good luck in your decision.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri

Well, Terri, we can agree that a medical professional at a travel clinic (preferably one that is personally acquainted with Brazil IMO, not simply getting info from the CDC website, in order to really understand what the terrain in a given area is like) should be the source of advice rather than fellow travelers.

However, I will say that I do not remember bring bothered by Mosquitos at the falls or in the area, and I am usually a favorite meal, attracting any in a mile radius. :-) I remember the number of butterflies landing on me to sip salty sweat.

But another important caveat is that mosquito borne dengue fever, for which there is no injection, is a concern in most of Brazil, urban and rural. Become informed about the flu-like symptoms so that you are aware and do not delay getting critical medical help. And protect yourself day (yes, these dengue Mosquitos feed in the daytime too) and evening with high Deet repellent.

I would also recommend seeing a travel medical professional.

I realize you are from Canada but here is a link to the USA CDC site and if you scroll down to Argentina it says that it is recommended for those traveling there.

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2014/chapter-3-infectious-diseases-related-to-travel/travel-vaccines-and-malaria-information-by-country

Since you are over 60 you need to discuss this with a medical professional. Not all people are created equally and you need to discuss this with your physician who knows your medical history. We do not nor are we qualified to give you a recommendation.

Keith

I will add that we did decide to get the vaccination and are not sorry we did. While at the falls we were not bothered by mosquitos at all. We were able to wear comfortable clothes and did not need to be covered from head to toe in fear that we would be bitten.

Again, no one here can tell you what to do. You must decide for yourselves. There are many factors to consider. None of the guidelines say that persons over 60 years of age should not get the vaccination, but that they may be more prone to complications.

Our medical history was thoroughly examined. After administration of the vaccine we had to stay in the office for a while to make sure we did not have an allergic reaction. We were also told to report any adverse reactions (which we did not have) immediately.

Prior to administering the vaccine we were given all the pros and cons and the recommendations based on our itinerary. We, along with the health care professional, decided that the risks of getting the vaccine outweighed the risk of contracting yellow fever. So we opted for the vaccine.

Again, that is our story. Yours may be different.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri

Not sure I understand your point.

While at the falls we were not bothered by mosquitos at all.

So if there were no mosquitos to bother you, perhaps extreme measures to protect oneself may not be considered absolutely necessary?

We were able to wear comfortable clothes and did not need to be covered from head to toe in fear that we would be bitten.

You were protected against mosquitos carrying yellow fever, by prior injection. You were not protected against mosquitos carrying dengue, which is very common in Brazil, and which has no preventative injection. So where is the logic in that thinking?

Edited by VidaNaPraia

Not sure I understand your point.

So if there were no mosquitos to bother you, perhaps extreme measures to protect oneself may not be considered absolutely necessary?

You were protected against mosquitos carrying yellow fever, by prior injection. You were not protected against mosquitos carrying dengue, which is very common in Brazil, and which has no preventative injection. So where is the logic in that thinking?

Isn't nice to always be right? I guess that makes you happy.

Thanks for your concern. I kinda thought the point was to give people good, accurate info about Brazil. (And with 20+ years of significant time spent regularly in Brazil in many locations, I may have a tiny bit of it that's worth sharing, and doing so makes me happy, yes.)

To reiterate:

You can get an injection, or not, for one serious mosquito borne disease, but you still have to take measures to protect against other mosquito borne diseases which don't have injected or oral preventative medication.

This mosquito danger is true for all areas of Brazil, urban and rural, and particularly at certain seasons of more rain.

But if there aren't such a lot of mosquitos in a certain area, as might be illustrated by a couple of contributor's anecdotes, you might have less cause to worry. Some areas, for example, can have been sprayed. However, how they appear (paved, forested, well-kept, run down) is often not an accurate gauge of this in Brazil.

We all good now? Hope so.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

We went there in March and saw no mosquitos, a Brazilian friend went there and reported lots of mosquitos. She didn't tell me when she went. We carry mosquito repellant with us just in case and apply before we head into "jungle" areas including in Florida. No mosquitos bit me in my cloud of OFF, but they found my husband's wrist in Ecuador. The moment we stay in one area for bird watching for example, they find him. We have yellow fever shots, one disease less to worry about.

Edited by Floridiana

We were there for two days a year ago and got YF shots. Our travel doctor said it was on the fringe of the YF zone but since we are sailing up the Amazon this year and the shot is good for ten years we went ahead and got it.

The best advice I can offer is to not rely on medical advice on a travel forum.

Consult your doctor or a travel clinic.

I have visited Iguazu 6 times and have not had a problem with mosquitoes but I have never been during the Iguazu summer, only the fall and winter. Cases of Yellow Fever in the Iguazu area, while rare, are reported each year. Dengue is much more common, as as been reported.

Again, anecdotal reports from visitors can help inform you about the experiences of others but should not be considered a substitute for sound medical advice.

Hi priddiscats. We were in our 60's when it was manditory to have the YF shot and had no issues also took the Malaria daily malaria pills when we went up the Amazon in 2011 and also had no issues. we are going on the Amazon & Cranaval cruise in January. We checked with the travel clinic to make sure all our shots were up to date and it was discussed shot were recommended but was our choice. We both agreed since we have Grand children. We don't want to bring something home or be sick ourselves