Anyone been on both RCCL Freedom of the Seas and Carnival Sunshine? Help please!

rdevine10

I posted on the family board a couple days ago but recieved no response and also on the carnival board. To be fair to each brand I have reposted it here. Anyone been on BOTH ships? thanks!

Trying to figure out what would be a better fit for our family. We have 2 kids who will be 12 & 9 at time of travel. They typically enjoy waterslides and the pools a great deal on our trips (they do not care for the kids clubs on any line).

FOS has the h20 zone (which i am worried might be too young for the 12 year old), flow rider, mini golf, ice skating (which they enjoy but we live on a lake and they do it all winter at home) & a few other things

Sunshine has the waterworks, pools (but I have read they can be more crowded), ropes course, mini golf & several family comedy shows (which we are a huge fan of) a few other things too.

Both are very similar in cost with both being a western route.

FOS goes to Labedee, Falmouth, Grand Cayman & Cozumel

Sunshine goes to Cozumel, Roatan, Belize & Costa Maya.

We like the ports on both routes.

Trying to figure out what would be the best fit for our family. help!!!!

I've not been on Sunshine, I only answered because I think your 12 year old will be fine with the H20 zone. Being that we are empty nesters, we just walk by their on occasion and I've seen plenty of 7 and 8 year olds having a great time. Good luck with your choice.

I've only been on Sunshine, but I was also on Navigator which has some of the amenities Freedom has.

If my kids were 12 & 9, I think Sunshine would be more fun for them, especially if they like water slides. The ones on Sunshine are a blast! The ropes course is great and is both doable and exciting. Kids who fear heights would have a problem. The sports deck is really fun. Sunshine also has a nice 3-deck Serenity area for adults. The family comedy we saw was really, really funny--the comedians did a great job of pulling in the kids.

My 15-yr-old giant of a son might like Freedom better, with the Flowrider & rock wall, and he doesn't ever have a chance to ice skate so he'd probably try it once; but he would find plenty of fun things to do on the Sunshine too. Yours might like the Promenade.

The fun part of this is that either one is a great choice! Why not pick one now & go on the other one next time? :p

I have been on both a couple of times. As far as differences, it comes down to this.....Sunshine has a couple of slides and Dr. Suess, where Freedom has ice skating, rock wall, flowrider and Dreamworks characters, shrek, madagascar and parades. The little ones swim/splash area is larger and more interactive on Freedom. The overall ship and entertainment hands down goes to Freedom. I had issues with the kids club on Sunshine. My 6 your old just completed her 30th cruise and the Sunshine was the only ship she ever refused to go back into kids club.

As far as itenerary goes...not a fan of Belize for young family. Long tender ride, only to arrive at a T-shirt stand. Not advisable to venture out the gate unless you are on a RCCL organized tour. Costa Maya...purpose built cruise port in the middle of nowhere. Beach day. Roatan...Honduras is the murder capital of the world,(google it) a young cruise employee was murdered in the street recently just outside the gate over someone trying to steal his cellphone. NCL stopped going there over this.

Freedom itenerary takes you to Cayman, beautiful island with 100% employment. Falmouth, nice shopping, do not leave the gated area unless on a tour. Labadee, probably the best private beach areas any cruiseline has (exception Disney Castaway Cay).

So to sum it up...this choice is a no brainer....Freedom hands down....and no I am far from Loyal to Royal.....this is an honest assessment. Let me know if you have any further questions.