Disembarkation at Buenos Aires.

bcscot

We will be ending a Celebrity cruise in Buenos Aires next year and I am considering booking an Estancia and San Antonio de Areco tour on the day we arrive. They collect guests from our hotel at 8.30 am. Our ship is due to arrive in BA at 5am. I am assuming that we can get off (carrying our own cases) at about 7am. We would then have to get through immigration and catch a taxi from the port to our hotel in the city centre, leave our luggage there and be ready for the tour bus at 8.30.

I wonder if this is a feasible plan? Are there likely to be delays along the way? Does the immigration process take long? Is it easy to get a taxi at the port? Will our hotel be happy to keep our bags and will it be safe to leave them there?

I would be most grateful for any opinions from those with experience of this port.

Thank you very much for your help.

I would say the timing is a bit tight, esp in view of the horrendous traffic in BA. Why not check withthe tour operator and see what they suggest. If I remember correctly you also have to be bussed from the ship to the BA Port terminal building

Sandy in Spain

Edited by t60

We will be ending a Celebrity cruise in Buenos Aires next year .................................

Does the immigration process take long? .................

I would be most grateful for any opinions from those with experience of this port.

Thank you very much for your help.

Our experience of the immigration process was just being waved through without anyone stamping our passports. This caused problems when we went through immigration at the airport - having to explain how we arrived in the country. All cruise passengers had the same experience and we figure it may have been "pay-back" for our cruise having visited the Falklands.

Please remember that you cannot just walk from the cruise ship terminal to the terminal.

There is a bus involved.

It's not easy with luggage.

I would not do this.

Also there are different berths and some are more complicated than others.

I would be very concerned making it to the hotel by 8:30 AM.

This is also during rush hour.

I would find an alternative.

Keith

Thank you all, for your input. I have found a company that picks up clients at 9.30am from the hotel. This might work better.

We get into Buenos Aires on a Sunday, so hopefully the traffic issue should not be too much of a problem. We fly into Buenos Aires and the cruise leaves from there, so we should get our passports stamped on the way in.

Getting off at 8am might be a problem and I am not sure if this terminal bus arrangement will pose an insurmountable problem or not. I will continue to chip away at this to see if I can get it to work.

Thank you for any further advice and personal experiences that people have to offer.

P.S. Why would they let people get off early, carrying their own luggage, if you couldn't get to the port entrance with it?

Edited by bcscot

I've found yet another company that will arrange a 10am pickup and later return. It's getting better!

I heard that sometimes there is chaos at disembarkation and sometimes not enough taxis. Can anyone comment on this and can private transfers be arranged? The trouble with this is not knowing at what time we can get off.

Thanks. :confused:

P.S. Thanks Keith, we will make use of the hotel safe.

Edited by bcscot

I've found yet another company that will arrange a 10am pickup and later return. It's getting better!

I heard that sometimes there is chaos at disembarkation and sometimes not enough taxis. Can anyone comment on this and can private transfers be arranged? The trouble with this is not knowing at what time we can get off.

Thanks. :confused:

P.S. Thanks Keith, we will make use of the hotel safe.

If you are looking for a private transfer I am using Silver Star for my transfer in February from the port in BA to the hotel. While I have not used them yet, my research has found that they come highly recommended.

The website is http://www.silverstarcar.com.

I hope this helps.

Terri

If you are looking for a private transfer I am using Silver Star for my transfer in February from the port in BA to the hotel. While I have not used them yet, my research has found that they come highly recommended.

The website is http://www.silverstarcar.com.

I hope this helps.

Terri

Thanks for that Terri. It might be a good move. :)

Thanks for that Terri. It might be a good move. :)

Good luck with that. After I emailed them, the owner, Fred, called me. I am all set with him. He is picking me up in the port in BA for a transfer to the hotel and then I also have him booked for the transfer to the airport a few days later.

He speaks perfect English (from Long Island, NY). You do have to pre-pay for the service through pay-pal. So make sure you know what you want.

Terri

Good luck with that. After I emailed them, the owner, Fred, called me. I am all set with him. He is picking me up in the port in BA for a transfer to the hotel and then I also have him booked for the transfer to the airport a few days later.

He speaks perfect English (from Long Island, NY). You do have to pre-pay for the service through pay-pal. So make sure you know what you want.

Terri

He is a little pricey though! :eek: At least, for two he is. :)