Booking Aqua class for first time - your thoughts?

tamara01

Haven't stayed in the Aqua Class before. How did you like it? Looking at A2 on Reflection - on Penthouse deck - anyone have any problems with noise? The cabin would be under spa area - under Reception area.

Did you enjoy the dining in Blu, the Persian gardens, was it hard to get in the relaxation room or was it always packed?

Have you dined in Blu prior to this cruise? If not have you studied the menus and you are certain that it is a good fit for you. I only ask because while in a suite - we were able to try Blu and discovered that it was not a good fit for us. :o So booking Aqua is not an option for us. Just pointing out that while many people LOVE Blu and you might also - there are those of us that don't care for it. Have a wonderful cruise! :)

We love dining in Blu and sail Aqua Class primarily for that reason. A cabin under the retail area should have no noise issues. Even if not everything in Blu is to your liking, you can see about dining in the MDR once in a while. Also, meals in Blu are prepared to order so you can easily ask for something to be changed. Breakfasts in Blu are wonderful.

Haven't stayed in the Aqua Class before. How did you like it? Looking at A2 on Reflection - on Penthouse deck - anyone have any problems with noise? The cabin would be under spa area - under Reception area.

Did you enjoy the dining in Blu, the Persian gardens, was it hard to get in the relaxation room or was it always packed?

Hi TAMARA01,

Be sure and check the S-Class Cabin Spreadsheet STICKY when you get down to choosing a cabin... Lots of info there in regards to overhead noises etc

Relaxation Room is on Deck 11, not far from the Secret Staircase ... And open to everyone. The one on The Solstice was usually dead empty... Don't think most Pax even knew it existed.

We are booked into our first Aqua Cruise next month... Really looking forward to it

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

We love Blu, but food is very subjective. You can always eat in the MDR on nights you might not like the menu. This has never happened to us. In addition to Blu you have access to the Persian Garden which is heavenly with the heated tile beds looking out at the sea on S class, sauna and steam room and rainforest showers. You also get a bottle a sparkling wine which is nice, and although the shower is small (they all are anyway) you have multiple shower jets which is very nice. Your room attendant will deliver some canapés every afternoon, but you can ask for cheeses if you don't like them. And you get bottled water for no charge.

If the price differential is not too much more than c class , I would go for it because the dining in Blu imho was much better than the mdr & equivalent to the speciality restaurants. The other perks were of nominal value to us.

This is not a "one size fits all" world, and we all have our different likes and priorities. I think that's a good thing, especially when it comes to cruising. It would be a shame if we all wanted the same cabins, the same dining, etc. I'm always glad when I hear others prefer other options because it means I have a much better chance of getting what I want. OK, back to Aqua, here's my take.

Our first experience on the Solstice class ships was a one-week Caribbean cruise on Eclipse. We had an A1 balcony with select dining. The cabin was fine, quiet, big balcony on the hump, but dining was not a great experience. We are the type of diners who prefer to use open seating dining on ships the way it was originally designed.....when we are ready to eat, we go to the dining room. Obviously we don't have a reservation because we don't know when we will want to eat. On this particular cruise, no matter what time we appeared at the dining room, there was a line and a lot of tension with the staff in charge of seating. When we were seated, either alone or with others, we found ourselves in a very noisy environment. The food was usually good, but the chaos and drama were not enjoyable.

We did think that Eclipse was a lovely ship, though, and a year later sailed on her for a two-week Caribbean cruise in an Aqua cabin. When we had our meals in Blu, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Don't get me wrong....every meal was not excellent, but it was nevertheless a far better overall experience than our previous one. And we loved having breakfast there. Our Aqua cabin was an A2 over one of the Spa rooms, and it was very quiet. We really didn't use the Persian Gardens, so I can't address that issue.

We recently booked two European cruises on Silhouette and once again chose Aqua cabins. It works for us, and I hope it will work for you, too.

Another vote for Aqua and Blu. We have had 6 cruises on Eclipse in Aqua, and the main draw for us is dining in Blu.

Now, it is not everybody's choice, but it appears a large majority love it, as we have seen it get more and more popular over the years. Never found the need to go to a speciality restaurant, and think we have only had one so so meal in that time.

Hint, go early and get a window seat, they are tables for 2, but you can chat to your neighbours if you want (and they want to talk to you!).

Huge fan of Blu, but will admit that the daily menu can either be fantastic or a bit off for me. However there are options - the "always available" chicken/salmon/steak and there is also a salad entre (meat and salad) which if the meat appeals to you can be ordered instead with veggies and potato. Also there could be a hot appetizer which works well doubled/tripled as an entre such as short ribs (yes it is an appetizer) or lobster ravioli. Each meal is plated after it is ordered (this is not banquet style dining which IN MY OPINION is the main dining room style) - so "usually" mixing or swapping from one entre to another is possible. We have had waiters tell us not to get the fish as described on the menu (sort of like floating in a broth) but request it broiled with veggies on the side.

The service in Blu is also amazing. They aim to please.

We also love Blu. Food is very subjective, but we found the food choices excellent. We liked the atmosphere much more than the MDR and the staff was great. we are not big fans of the Persian Garden, not a big deal for us. We always book Aqua pr Suites to be able to eat in Blu. The only issue we had was Aqua Class on Reflection. The cabin doors share the common wall. We were next door to some VERY rude people that kept their door open on the lock so their extended family could come and go ALL NIGHT, slamming the door on the lock as they went in and out. We were very fortunate and were moved to an open Aqua Class Suite.

My wife and I have sailed in Aqua Class several times on Reflection. We are looking forward to 2 weeks of Aqua Class on Eclipse in January, 2015. The things we loved about the experience were Blu, particularly at breakfast. I am a big fan of the Persian Gardens and usually spent 1-2 hours each afternoon there. It was nice to use it without paying a fee for the privilege. We also enjoyed the priority boarding in Miami. Oh yes, I almost forgot we also enjoyed the upgraded shower facility in the room.

As to the Relaxation Room, I have enjoyed that room for reading. The chairs are very comfortable and the view off the bow of the ship rivals that of the bridge. I particularly recommend this area when you are entering a port, particularly San Juan Puerto Rico. Most of the time it was not crowded. Normally most of the people in the room were waiting for spa appointments.

Go ahead and give it a try, I bet you will enjoy the experience. Happy Cruising!

We have only sailed in Aqua once, but we liked it so much we booked it again for our cruise next week. We really liked Blu, although we did find that at prime time it was so crowded there was often a wait of at least 1/2 hour. I suspect the suite dining room will help alleviate that. We particularly liked the breakfast, and never had an issue with getting seated immediately. As has been said, if you do not like the menu on a particular day (it is always posted ahead of time) you can ask the Blu maitre'd to check with the MDR to get you seated there. It would be very rare that you were not able to do that as there is always someone going to a specialty restaurant and freeing up table space.

We thought the Persian Gardens were very nice as well, but on our cruise it was very crowded any time we wanted to use the nice warm lounge chairs. So while I would pick the AQ just for Blu (if the price was not a lot higher), I would not pick it specifically for the spa area. Other perks like a nicer shower and tea in the room were nice, but IMHO not worth paying much $$ for, if any.

Relaxation room is supposed to be for AQ cabins only and those who are waiting for spa appointments. On my cruises they did not enforce this and let anyone in. As someone else stated it is a nice room for reading and watching while coming into a port.

As to booking AQ, if the price is right I would try it, most people love it but some do not.

My partner and I always book AQ and we love it. We started booking AQ originally because of my partner's aversion to large dining venues (he prefers a quieter setting) and we have always loved it. People sometimes complain that Blu might not have everything that your looking for on a specific night, however if you don't like what they are offering you can always get the steak, chicken, fish dishes they serve all the time. Hope you enjoy it!

We have yet to cruise on S class but the AQ on the Connie is wonderful, will be in a AQ1 this Feb. We booked 1138 which is one of the extended aft balconies right above the bar area...

We had an AQ2 this past March and loved it. Blu is great, priority boarding, sparking wine... Don't forget breakfast in Blu!

We have loved AQ the three times we have booked it. I thought the lobster they served on formal night on Millennium was amazing. I also loved the table side muesli for breakfast. We have two more cruises booked in AQ, both S class.

I find that with AQ it hinges on whether or not you enjoy BLU. People seem to either love BLU or hate it. We enjoyed it for breakfast, but found it absolutely did not fit us for dinner.

So you really need to try it our for yourself.

Go with an open mind, but if you do not find that it fits you for dinner, don't be afraid to ask to be switched to the MDR.

Enjoy your cruise!

Count us as two more folks who are AQ fans. We find that breakfast and dinner in Blu is a better experience than the buffet or MDR. Persian Gardens after a long day ashore is an added plus.

The only issue we had was Aqua Class on Reflection. The cabin doors share the common wall. We were next door to some VERY rude people that kept their door open on the lock so their extended family could come and go ALL NIGHT, slamming the door on the lock as they went in and out. We were very fortunate and were moved to an open Aqua Class Suite.

What do you mean by common wall ? The doors in the hallways or connecting doors in the cabin itself like in the old style?

What do you mean by common wall ? The doors in the hallways or connecting doors in the cabin itself like in the old style?

Believe they meant this situation (poster has written previously of this issue)

http://i49.tinypic.com/2lxdml2.jpg

It is true, on the S-Class Ships the whole cabin will shake (they were built as modules) if the one next door has the door slam... Which sadly also can be a common occurrence if the cabin occupants like to leave their balcony door open, and people go in & out of the cabin elsewhere on the ship. Situation creates a vacuum... And a huge sucking wind tunnel.

If that "inconsiderate" racket was going on next door for any extended period of time, I would have probably had said something... If not to them... Then certainly to someone on staff.

One or two bangs... Innocent mistake. Ongoing, a real problem

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

If that "inconsiderate" racket was going on next door for any extended period of time, I would have probably had said something... If not to them... Then certainly to someone on staff.

One or two bangs... Innocent mistake. Ongoing, a real problem

Cheers!

I'm used to slamming doors.... there are always inconsiderate people, but my question was where she said "common wall". .....is that inside the cabin or the hallway.(Reflection)

Edited by nikel

The photo was accurate and what I was mentioning. The wall between the two doors is a common wall to both cabins. When the door slams the whole wall shakes and it is loud. It was mentioned to Guest Services, and as I said, we were lucky, they were able to move us. We tried to ask the neighbors nicely not to do it, but they ignored us and kept doing it, that is why we went to guest services. I ham hopeful that they were in the small minority of rude people.

We were in an A2 cabin on the Silhouette last January. We are now hooked on Aqua Class and Blu.

Our cabin was aft so we were under cabins. We loved the location - just ten doors down from the mid-aft elevators.

My husband was concerned about Blu and it's 'clean cuisine', however, after the first dinner in Blu, we never went anywhere else.

About half our breakfasts were in Blu, the rest were in the buffet. Blu does not serve lunch.

Blu has an everyday menu of steak, chicken, fish... plus onion soup, shrimp cocktails, escargot - so if you are not thrilled with that night's menu, you are able to order something else. And, like the MDR, you can always order something else if you don't care for what you ordered or you want to try something new.

Enjoy your aqua class cruise.