Aqua Class A2 vs A1 on Equinox

stromer

I just booked an Aqua class cabin (Equinox) and the travel agent gave me a great price on a A2 class located at the front or rear of the ship. I am a Capt's Club member and am entitled to a 1 class upgrade to a A1 located in the middle of the ship. Looking at the ship pictures, the following is shown:

A2 front has no overhang from the above deck. Close to the Aqua Spa 1 deck above.

A1 middle area has the above deck overhanging above the balcony. It looks like there would be no sun on the balcony except when the sun was at a low angle. Close to the pools 1 deck above.

A2 rear areas have the above deck overhanging above the balcony. It looks like there would be no sun on the balcony except when the sun was at a low angle. Close to the Cafeteria 1 deck above.

Does anyone have an opinion on the above issues regarding room location. Is the A1 middle overhang a problem. I have looked at the ship room reviews and have not noted any comments about overhang, just maybe more noise.

Thanks, Rick

As always price is determined by location... So this is why the A1s are more than the A2s.

Being a returning Captain's Club Member, you can get an A1 for the A2 price.

A1s on the S-Class Ships are midship, which is extremely convenient for getting around such a large ship. As well the oversized balconies that some have ... the angles leading onto and off of "the hump" are A1s. Those would be my first choice... Largest to smallest, 1st off, 3rd off, 2nd off, last off. These oversized balconies should still have a nice mix of sun & shade

And yes do refer to S-Class Cabin Spreadsheet STICKY for specifics on issues when you get down to evaluating cabin numbers

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

We had exactly this problem when deciding which cabin for our next cruise. However, having previously had a forward cabin with no overhang and rear one with some overhang, we knew that as sun lovers it was a no brainer. We were offered the upgrade to an A1, but have to say that the Future Cruises consultant knew exactly why we refused it! Apparently this is quite a common occurence (people opting for a forward A2 as opposed to an upgrade to A1). If you like you sun, I'd stick with the A2. Do check the deckplan carefully though. We had no problems with a starboard cabin under the gym (others had noted some noise, but we didn't) nor with a portside under the Persian Gardens, but were warned off the portside one nearest to the A1 cabins because of noise, by the consultant.

We always prefer the forward A2 cabins on this class of ship. However, I agree with the above poster about avoiding the cabins on the port side. I've heard that noise and smell from the Aqua Spa Cafe can be annoying in the early morning hours. We've manged to get cabins under the beauty salon and haven't had any issues with noise.

We also are Captain's club members who declined the A1 in favor of our preferred A2. We chose an A2 (1540) slightly forward, under the hair salon. We've had one in same location in similar ship. The A1 they offered was under the whirlpool/aqua spa, which I'm sure would be noisy at times - and I'm a light sleeper. We also did not want the shaded balcony for a Caribbean itinerary. Just because it's location is "technically" better, doesn't mean it's a better cabin in my opinion. We passed and got a cabin we know we'll love. Plus the forward elevators are much less busy than others and you are so close to spa and Persian Garden's - it's great!

While I love mid-ship cabins, I would never book an A1 mid-ship on the S-Class ships. They are primarily under the pool!!!! :eek:

We are not concerned about the overhangs as they do not block our view of the water and we like the shade and the privacy from above.

We've enjoyed both our A2's on Equinox , 1521 under the thermal loungers

And 1501, most forward cabin both on port side. There is definitely an overhang

But it is an average overhang. I like the forward a2's because you look straight down to the water, not life boats

Our friends had an A1, 1577, and had no noise. they had a nice deep balcony overhang, which I actually preferred since I don't like too much sun

And even in the rain we were nice and protected for rainy sail away

1501 was right next to the lounge by the aqua spa. So convenient

Had a bit a noise in that cabin from a strange closet behind our cabin

Noting that bad though

Just returned from Equinox (14 Night Med Cruise), stayed in 1533 (A2)

No noise from any direction.

Great location for exercising at the gym, as it is very close and you don't have to walk sweating around the ship.

BLU is at the other end, but that was ok for us.

We have booked a cabin close to 1533 for our next cruise in 2016 with the Eclipse.

I happily skipped the upgrading option (CC member) to A1, as I don't like the overhang and don't want to stay below the pool deck.

Matt

We were in Aqua Class on the Equinox 2 months ago, and we picked a forward cabin under the hair salon, #1540. We loved all the sunshine on our balcony, without the overhang. We never heard a thing above us. It was a great cabin and I would book it again.

i like that one because he bed is by the window. my first S class cruise i was in 1535- no o ne knew it was near a crew door. plus i did not like the bed near the cabin door. so for the few S class cabins i ahve been in it has been 1525

We just returned from 31 days in cabin 1529

on the Silhouette and never noticed you

in our stateroom...:) I agree... I great location

:)

We did the "Holy Land Cruise" in October...

Great cruise, great ship! Weren't the stateroom attendants of 1529 amazing?

We took the A2 and were so happy we did. I was under the pool deck on a previous cruise and never again. I have heard the rooms right under the gym, which are forward on deck 11, also have had issues with noise.

When we were helping some friends book a room on an S-class ship, the future cruise consultant also told them that he never recommends an A1 over an A2. You are closer to the relaxation room and Persian Gardens in an A1 cabin and while I am sure there are some cabins and cruises where they are ok, it just isn't worth all the hassles with noise that I might encounter. We loved just being aft of the hump in the AQ cabins.

Incidentally, I had reported that we stayed I'm two A2's, 1501 and 1521

On equinox

1501 had couch by the balcony

1521 had couch by the bathroom

We much preferred the set-up In 1501 which had couch closest to balcony.

It was nice to not have the sitting area and the balcony bifurcated. We really spread out and made use of the entire sitting area by combining indoor with outdoor seating areas. :)

We've stayed in A1s just forward of the pool bar, maybe 1576 or 78, and had no trouble, but hearing chairs dragged across the floor above us on one cruise was enough for us to swear "Never again". People in A2s on the Connie were complaining about the nose from the pool deck. No kidding!

Returning to Celebrity after five years :o

We love spa cabins - just off NCL where we used our thermal suite passes every morning early - and again late afternoon for a quiet snooze before we trip the light fantastic.

We are CC members - and could have a free upgrade to A1 -

However - the A1 cabins all seem to be further away from the Spa.

I want to be able to exit our cabin in our robes - walk up stairs and straight into persian gardens - for this reason I chose 1539 (EQX).

We have done several TA cruises and we know port side west bound for us is best -

Dont want shaded balconies.

There are still other cabins available - I looked at the drag deck plans - and it appears we are under "Acupuncture at Sea" - but if there is something better - (remember that all important want easy access to persian gardens) - can someone advise? I can then check to see if its available (there is plenty availability right now)

We are never in our cabins much (hence why we stopped cruising in suites we never really used them) - We are not worried about over head noise - our last cabin on NCL we were warned it was under the kids arcade area and we would be bombarded - we didnt hear a thing.

If i heard pool beds being dragged across overhead that might bother me -

But not much else

Any advise? Good choice for us or anything better bearing in mind we must have port side and within "walk in our robes few steps" distance to the persian gardens.

Many thanks for your input.

Persian Garden is easy to reach from the forward port and starboard staterooms. However there is a "hidden" staircase accessible from the forward starboard staterooms leading directly to the entrance of the Persian Garden.

Deckplan.jpg.e85c0febc4f94568843bc97f22d678ce.jpg

Persian Garden is easy to reach from the forward port and starboard staterooms. However there is a "hidden" staircase accessible from the forward starboard staterooms leading directly to the entrance of the Persian Garden.

Oooh - I might have to check out cabins nearer to that then -

I did see a small thingy on the drag deck plan but didnt realise it was an accessible stairway

Thank you so much!

But its not accessible from the port forward cabins?

Sorry - hard for me to figure it out. I can see the stairway - and the route around from the starboard - but would there be any advantage in me moving my cabin further forward port side ? I for sure dont want to be starboard on a TA westbound. Def want port side.

I love the direct access though by the stairway! Just how to get to it from port side? Which cabins are nearest?

No, starboard only ...

The stairs are leading down from the spa reception desk right next to the Persian Garden entrance to some of the treatment rooms a deck below. On deck 11 there is a door opening to the isle of some inside staterooms. This isle leads to the main starboard corridor.

Edited by Miaminice