Lyon to Paris

patrinka

Has anyone taken the high speed train from Lyon to Paris? If so how long does it take, what is the approximate cost, is it scenic and where would I purchase a ticket (how far in advance can you reserve?

We did the TGV from Paris to Lyon.

It takes about two hours. The train is very nice and it really moves.

We took the train as a part of a tour and Rhone river cruise, so I can't say how much it cost.

Here is what I found on the Internet.

http://www.eurorailways.com/ecart/train-tickets-paris-to-lyon/

We went by train from Nice to Paris at the end of an Avalon cruise this summer. I was hoping for a very scenic ride but in truth the train passes through countryside mostly, and in many cases in a cutting, so views are

not that great. The best bit was leaving Nice as the train followed the coast. In hindsight, I wished we had flown as it took all day and then, because the TGV was late, we missed our Eurostar connection.

We will probably do this in March before boarding our river cruise. It is easier for us to fly into Paris than Lyon, and that will give us the flexibility to stay in Paris as long (or as little) as we like before heading to Lyon to embark. Haven't decided whether to overnight in Paris on Saturday before heading to Lyon Sunday to embark, or whether to go to Lyon Saturday and stay there. Luckily we have a few months to decide.

In terms of how far in advance you can book - here is what the SNCF's website says. I just looked for trains on 22 March (our cruise date) and they are not yet for sale yet. When you try to book for March 22, the website says:

"Les ventes pour vos trajets TGV, INTERCITÉS sont ouvertes pour des

circulations jusqu'au 9 mars 2015. Pour les circulations à partir du 10 mars,

la réservation sera possible 3 mois à l'avance."

Generally speaking, they open trains for ticketing 3 months in advance. Keep checking as that date approaches because the earlier you buy the ticket, the better chance of a good deal. As caviargal experienced, last-minute trains can be expensive.

Here is a range of prices for 2 passengers that I just looked up now. The cheap fares are for 9 March (the latest train that is open for booking today) and the expensive fares are for the first Monday in January (for comparison). You can travel in first class cheaper than in second class if you reserve in advance - 68 Euros for first in March, vs 114 Euros for the cheapest second-class tickets in January :)

Fullscreen%2520capture%252011292014%252032424%2520PM.jpgFullscreen%2520capture%252011292014%252032616%2520PM.jpg

PS - I have found it better to always go to the French version of their website. Rail Europe, and other Americanized versions of their website don't seem to have the cheapest fares IME. And remember, the cheapest fares are nonrefundable, and nonexchangeable.

Unless, of course, there is a strike, and the trains don't run, and you have to drive 10 hours from Nice to Paris... But that's another story. :mad:

It's been a looong time since I've done train travel in Europe that was not part of a tour; since my backpacking Euro-pass days in the 80's:). We too are thinking of a round trip ticket to Paris, and then taking the TVG to Avignon and then back from Lyon. My question is, what is the differnce between a first class ticket and second class? TIA

It's been a looong time since I've done train travel in Europe that was not part of a tour; since my backpacking Euro-pass days in the 80's:). We too are thinking of a round trip ticket to Paris, and then taking the TVG to Avignon and then back from Lyon. My question is, what is the differnce between a first class ticket and second class? TIA

We have always traveled in Europe independently by train and find it an enjoyable and efficient way to travel.

You can easily price the difference yourself on line as the cost will be dependent on date of travel, date of purchase, route and more.

We paid 130E last minute in 1st class last weekend Paris to Lyon. Our original tickets were Paris to Arles in 1st, purchased 90 days prior to travel date and were 90E. In 2nd the savings was about 25E per person.

This is twice the distance than the ticket we ended up purchasing to meet the boat in Lyon, as embarkation changed from Arles 2 days prior due to high water.

Edited by caviargal

So sorry! My post was not clear. I did not mean the difference iin price, but rather, the difference in class...what is the traveling difference in1st vs. 2nd, larger or more spacious seating, better luggage storage?

We have always traveled in Europe independently by train and find it an enjoyable and efficient way to travel.

You can easily price the difference yourself on line as the cost will be dependent on date of travel, date of purchase, route and more.

We paid 130E last minute in 1st class last weekend Paris to Lyon. Our original tickets were Paris to Arles in 1st, purchased 90 days prior to travel date and were 90E. In 2nd the savings was about 25E per person.

This is twice the distance than the ticket we ended up purchasing to meet the boat in Lyon, as embarkation changed from Arles 2 days prior due to high water.

We took the TGV from Avignon to CDG for €45.00 pp. It took about three hours. We booked the tickets on Capitaine Train. We printed off the PDF tickets and used them without a problem. The Capitaine Train site has the same availability as SNCF including fares not available on the Rail Europe site. The man in seat 61 has a lot of info about European train travel.

The main difference between first and second is three across (2+1) vs four across (2+2). Not sure I'd pay too much more for it.