Has anyone upgraded from Classic to Premium and regretted it?

tbmrt

Someone mentioned with upgrade you get premium coffees from al bacio, are they not included on classic? This is so confusing!

We are going to get our first ever drinks package, 'free' with 123go promo, I am beyond excited but bit confused at same time!

We dont drink beer, cocktail or spirits, but we love fresh juice, premium teas etc, bottled water, and wine. Oh, and PORT! I keep asking is port wine included, and still not sure! We are not wine snobs, but hoping to get something drinkable within the $9 limit?

If you go to the Celebrity website and search for drink packages you will find what is included in each package. Go to Cruise Beverage Packages and click on the blue type in the description of the Premium Package. That should provide you with a side by side list for both packages.

They don't list individual wines - just say they provide a selection.

Edited by Jeal

I was unaware than one could downgrade again, after upgrading. Has anyone else ever done this? I am very surprised to hear of it. I am asking because I am not a very big drinker, and when we booked our last cruise which came with the classic package, I called and meant to upgrade just DH to premium but without thinking upgraded myself as well (honest:D). I suspect I would be fine with the classic. As Elite+ I can get my fancy liquor free coffees as a perk, I have AQ so already get free regular bottled water which is fine with me, and probably couldn't tell an expensive glass of wine from a less expensive one. I know I could have called back and tried to fix it, but honestly I don't trust the Celebrity customer service enough to risk messing it up. If I can downgrade onboard, I think I may just do that.

You cannot downgrade. Once you pay for a beverage package, or once you pay to upgrade to premium - it is NOT refundable. (You can change your mind BEFORE your cruise - I believe either package is refundable a certain time before your departure date if you change your mind.)

That's why it's a good idea to try the classic, and if you find you are unhappy with the selection, you can always upgrade.

If you upgrade to start with, and decide you don't need the premium, you can't downgrade again.

Edited by DinaS

Someone mentioned with upgrade you get premium coffees from al bacio, are they not included on classic? This is so confusing!

We are going to get our first ever drinks package, 'free' with 123go promo, I am beyond excited but bit confused at same time!

We dont drink beer, cocktail or spirits, but we love fresh juice, premium teas etc, bottled water, and wine. Oh, and PORT! I keep asking is port wine included, and still not sure! We are not wine snobs, but hoping to get something drinkable within the $9 limit?

The Classic package covers coffees like Carmel Macchiato, Cappuccino, Cafe Americano, Expresso, etc. if those are what you are referring to.

As to Port wines, my DH enjoys a port after dinner and I know there are port choices on the Premium pkg, not sure about the Classic. I do know that the port he orders is above the limit on the Premium package so we pay the $1.75 difference.

Only one Celebrity trip under my belt so far and that on the Century so no expert but can comment as a Newbie, so can give an unvarnished and unbiased comment.

If my DH and I had to pay for either package we would not bother, my booze bill is never more than $700 for a 14 day cruise so just not economical, though alcohol is certainly more expensive on Celebrity than I have experienced on HAL and Celebrity's more restrictive wine policy means that it just might be economical enough for us to pay for a Classic but we would not upgrade to Premium.

On the other hand if you get the Classic as part of a Promo like we did, that is different. I never regretted upgrading to Premium as it gave me the freedom of drinking pretty well what I wanted except for wine by the bottle. Even wine by the glass was easy in the MDR as once we had chosen our wines the Wine Waiter simply kept topping us up as if we had a bottle.

Also it gave both my DH and I the opportunity to drink Top Shelf stuff. On the other hand my sister and her DH are with us on our February Solstice trip and their drink needs are simple (she is also notoriously tight with her money :D ), so they are more than happy to stay with the Classic and if they find it too restrictive will upgrade once on board.

So my short answer is - did not regret an $11.50 per person per day upgrade on top of a promo package, would have seriously regretted it if I had to pay for the original Classic package.

The Classic package covers coffees like Carmel Macchiato, Cappuccino, Cafe Americano, Expresso, etc. if those are what you are referring to.

As to Port wines, my DH enjoys a port after dinner and I know there are port choices on the Premium pkg, not sure about the Classic. I do know that the port he orders is above the limit on the Premium package so we pay the $1.75 difference.

Thank you! I think as others have suggested we will get onboard, try the classic, and upgrade if we feel we need to. I feel like a kid at christmas just knowing I have any kind of package!

I agree with the consensus here: upgrade from "free" classic to premium is a no brainer. Certainly got our money's worth last week.

For instance. My drink of choice is an Old Fashioned. Under the classic package I would get Makers Mark. Not the best quality but decent. Leaves a little bit of an after burn though. With the Premium I get Woodforde Reserve which leaves a sweeter taste.

That's funny because I find Makers very sweet and Woodford less so. WR is relatively cheap where I live at $27 for 750ml so I'm amused the cruise lines all classify it as a premium option.

Thank you! I think as others have suggested we will get onboard, try the classic, and upgrade if we feel we need to. I feel like a kid at christmas just knowing I have any kind of package!

Pretty simple--If you want the better beers, the Martini Bar special martinis or the Molecular Bar concoctions, you upgrade.

:cool:

LOL -- I find the whole drink package to be a paradox! ;)

We have always passed on purchasing the Basic package. We've never (on any ship) had a bar bill high enough to justify that cost. Frankly, we don't drink much, and have access to the Elite lounge, morning and evening. If I want a cappuccino, I usually get it there. However, our last cruise was booked through the 123GO promo, so we got the drink package. After a little research, we decided to upgrade to the premium package -- and that cash outlay turned out to be worth every penny! :cool:

Instead of being limited to a couple of cheap wines by the glass in the MDR, we had a nice selection. If we chose something over the package limit, we were just billed for the difference in price. :p

Really? It was my understanding per these boards that X doesn't bill the difference but the entire amount of the beverage plus the gratuity. When did this change or am I mistaken?

With only one sailing on "X" my opinion might not be taken very seriously however, we originally purchased the basic package and upgraded after the first day. We spent the first night at The Molecular Bar (all martinis there are over the $$ limit for our original package). As cle-guy has said he loves The Molecular Bar, we did too. Probably had 3-4 drinks there every night. One great thing happened that we did not expect, after we switched to the Premium package our 6-8 drinks we purchased on the first day miraculously disappeared from our folio the 3rd day :eek:. Don't know if that still happens but it did for us :D no-brainer...upgrade.

Just off the Equinox last Friday Nov 21. I too fell in love with the Molecular Bar. In defense of the Gastropub...I am not a beer drinker but I did try two of the drinks they offered the Hurricaine and oh dear...already forgot the name but it too was delicious. We booked a cruise while onboard and so we will have the drink package for our next cruise...already planning on doing the upgrade...yes Celebrity has made me a drink snob...top shelf stuff for me!

Really? It was my understanding per these boards that X doesn't bill the difference but the entire amount of the beverage plus the gratuity. When did this change or am I mistaken?

If you have the Classic package and order something more expensive, then yes, you are billed for the entire amount + gratuity.

If you have the Premium package, then anything above and beyond the dollar limit, you pay the difference + gratuity.

Its a no brainer to upgrade if you drink wine, and don't like the swill offered in the classic package.

One tip : If you have the premium package, tip your sommelier ....almost ANYTHING can then be " available " by the glass. Many have opened bottles that sold for $70+ and pored them by the glass at no extra charge.

Yes, I tip them $20 immediately upon the extra consideration ( and I let them know in advance in a subtle and polite way ), but on a 14 day cruise it's well worth it.

Also it covers the martini bar drinks.

Its a no brainer to upgrade if you drink wine, and don't like the swill offered in the classic package.

One tip : If you have the premium package, tip your sommelier ....almost ANYTHING can then be " available " by the glass. Many have opened bottles that sold for $70+ and pored them by the glass at no extra charge.

Yes, I tip them $20 immediately upon the extra consideration ( and I let them know in advance in a subtle and polite way ), but on a 14 day cruise it's well worth it.

Also it covers the martini bar drinks.

HEY Kevin!!! :eek:

ixnay on the winesay:p

That's funny because I find Makers very sweet and Woodford less so. WR is relatively cheap where I live at $27 for 750ml so I'm amused the cruise lines all classify it as a premium option.

I find that Woodforde makes a better Old Fashioned than Makers. Now if they have Basil Hayden Bourbon on board then we're talking a whole diferrent story.

Up here a bottle Woodforde is $50. Dang taxes we pay

I find that Woodforde makes a better Old Fashioned than Makers. Now if they have Basil Hayden Bourbon on board then we're talking a whole diferrent story.

I'm a Blanton's girl myself. They usually charge less for a pour of that onboard than the WR. For whatever reason in my state the prices are reversed and a bottle will run me almost $60, when I can find it. :eek:

I'm a Blanton's girl myself. They usually charge less for a pour of that onboard than the WR. For whatever reason in my state the prices are reversed and a bottle will run me almost $60, when I can find it. :eek:

i must try this OLD fashioned ..im a manhattan drinker but i'd like to try this ... i just recently had a manhattan with makers and I liked it ... i will sample each of these on my next cruise in january

We regretted purchasing the classic package and then upgrading it. The main reason was that we just can't drink enough to cover the cost. I'm not talking just alcohol. We literally don't have the capacity to drink that much fluid. I remember reading how someone would have 8-9 drinks starting before dinner. 1 during dinner, 1 after dinner, and we're usually too full to drink any more.

Now getting the 123Go promo and upgrading is a no brainer (sorry). We can easily drink $11 a day just by getting our one daily drink from the Molecular Bar.

WR is only $30 near me. I'm no expect on alcohol, but I appreciate how smooth it is.

You bourbon drinkers need to come visit Kentucky and go on the Bourbon Trail. You visit the different distilleries, all have wonderful tours and sampling. There is even a "passport" you get stamped for each distillery you visit. It's a blast and Kentucky is beautiful! Come in the spring, see the foals with their mamas in the Bluegrass, and go to the races at Keeneland in Lexington in April and October, or visit Churchill Downs for Derby. First Saturday in May!! Central Kentucky is beautiful.

Shoot me, but my fav bourbon in an Old Fashion is Jim Beam!! Believe me, I have been drinking them for a longgggg time!!

i must try this OLD fashioned ..im a manhattan drinker but i'd like to try this ... i just recently had a manhattan with makers and I liked it ... i will sample each of these on my next cruise in january

Oh you'll love them. If they have Makers and Woodforde, do one of each for sure and then stick with the one you like.

You bourbon drinkers need to come visit Kentucky and go on the Bourbon Trail. You visit the different distilleries, all have wonderful tours and sampling. There is even a "passport" you get stamped for each distillery you visit. It's a blast and Kentucky is beautiful! Come in the spring, see the foals with their mamas in the Bluegrass, and go to the races at Keeneland in Lexington in April and October, or visit Churchill Downs for Derby. First Saturday in May!! Central Kentucky is beautiful.

Shoot me, but my fav bourbon in an Old Fashion is Jim Beam!! Believe me, I have been drinking them for a longgggg time!!

That would be awesome to do. My brother and I have always talked about going to Churchill Downs for Derby Day because his birthday falls on Derby day every 4 or five years.

Now if I could get my hands on a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 20 Year Old. Then we're talking.

We were thrilled with the classic package. My favorite beer , Leffe was included. :)

More importantly we loved the unlimited use of the coffee bar . We also found bartenders would

make any drink we wanted , telling them in advance that we had the classic package.

I was unaware than one could downgrade again, after upgrading. Has anyone else ever done this? I am very surprised to hear of it.

You cannot downgrade. Once you pay for a beverage package, or once you pay to upgrade to premium - it is NOT refundable. If you upgrade to start with, and decide you don't need the premium, you can't downgrade again.
That's what I thought. We met people on Summit who had upgraded prior to sailing

and didn't think it was worth it. I assumed they kept it for the week because they had no choice.

Edited by richstowe

We were just talking about doing this today! Maybe next spring.