Tipping w.no drink package

runner2013

Hi all,

First time cruising on Norwegian and first time I won't be purchasing a drink package.

My question is, do I tip the bartender or waiter each/every time I order a drink or is it already included on the slip I will have to sign?

Don't want to shortchange anyone:D

Thanks

Anyone else ever feel like with the "additional tip" line you are expected to tip on top of the 15%? 15% of most drink costs is already an extra $1-$2. Maybe I am different then most, but seeing that line to add a tip makes me feel like I should be writing one in. :(

And yes, if the service is great, I don't mind adding an extra tip on top of the 15% but don't want to feel like I have to if it is not warranted.

Anyone else ever feel like with the "additional tip" line you are expected to tip on top of the 15%? 15% of most drink costs is already an extra $1-$2. Maybe I am different then most, but seeing that line to add a tip makes me feel like I should be writing one in. :(

And yes, if the service is great, I don't mind adding an extra tip on top of the 15% but don't want to feel like I have to if it is not warranted.

I am curious as to why a little line of convenience would make you feel obligated to tip more?

If it was not there, how would someone go about adding an additional tip if they chose to do so?

No, it is NOT suggested. It is included in the end price. A pop costs $2.50 and the total paid by the cruiser will be $2.75

One can then add an extra tip above that final total IF THEY WISH.

This is NCL USA site:

What about tipping? In addition, a suggested gratuity of 15% on drink bills and 18% on spa and salon bills will be added automatically and charged to your on-board account.

This is NCL USA site:

What about tipping? In addition, a suggested gratuity of 15% on drink bills and 18% on spa and salon bills will be added automatically and charged to your on-board account.

...to be increased if you so choose, and you know it!!

Are you just trying to get another legitimate thread deleted because of your continued hijacking activities? We get it already you don't tip at home and feel the world should revolve around your beliefs. Get over it already, true travelers work within the norms and traditions of where they visit. If you don't like it try a different form of vacation!

Are you just trying to get another legitimate thread deleted because of your continued hijacking activities? We get it already you don't tip at home and feel the world should revolve around your beliefs. Get over it already, true travelers work within the norms and traditions of where they visit. If you don't like it try a different form of vacation!

Said that way better and nicer than I ever could....if one does not like that certain cruise lines like NCL make passengers pay gratuities on top of the fare - then one is free to go to another cruise line like Oceania and/or take a land vacation.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Nope. Never felt that way in the slightest. They get the auto 15% gratuity and I've never left anything extra. I've never felt that my service received was worth extra. That is neither good nor bad. It's just a simple drink transaction.

This is NCL USA site:

What about tipping? In addition, asuggested gratuity of 15% on drink bills and 18% on spa and salon bills will be added automatically and charged to your on-board account.

You highlighted the wrong part, so I fixed it for you;)

Are you just trying to get another legitimate thread deleted because of your continued hijacking activities?

Why hijack? The opening post header is : Tipping w.no drink package

I appreciate that the tip can be increased. Equally so, it can be decreased. Nobody can force anybody to pay a 15% tip.

...and the ill informed crusade continues unabated.

Good job of editing my statement to further your insipid goals. :rolleyes:

Thank you for your sarcastic reply:rolleyes:. Exactly what is your problem now.?

The thread is about tipping started by runner 2013. I am simply pointing out that the 15% amount is only a suggestion by NCL. Even you must see this. Whilst it may be automatically and charged to your on-board account, the figure HAS to be negotiable. You may be happy about being charged 15% for a tip. In my opinion it is far too much. Only in America is this amount ( and more) expected.

Why hijack? The opening post header is : Tipping w.no drink package

I appreciate that the tip can be increased. Equally so, it can be decreased. Nobody can force anybody to pay a 15% tip.

Because you have a proven track record of derailing a thread when tips/gratuities/DSC is concern. What the OP wanted to know in the body of the post (if you bother to read it) was if tips are included even if you don't have the drink plan - answer is yes, with or w/o the drink plan, the tips are included, don't have to add more if you like.

You, Ewoodspark, have serious mental issues when it concern tips / gratuities -you don't want to pay, that's fine. But don't purposely give out the wrong information because of your beliefs, which is exactly why people are correcting you.

But don't purposely give out the wrong information because of your beliefs, which is exactly why people are correcting you.

Wrong information??? How can not wishing to pay 15% tip be classed as wrong. ?

I never have and never will pay 15% tip to anybody.

That not what OP asked and name a mass market cruise line that 15% is not added to drink tab; don't worry, I'll wait.

Your last sentence says everything that needs to be said. So, stand by your principles and stop trying to convince everyone else that they are wrong. If you don't like something try and find something that you do like.

Your schtick is getting old. Try becoming a traveler and not just a tourist.

Buh bye for now, because I am sure this thread will go the way of so many others that you "participate" in!

It looks like you are from the UK. Looking at the first link I could find about tipping in the UK Tipping in the UK it seems like in most instances you do not tip for services provided. That's fine...in the UK.

NEWSFLASH - When leaving the UK, its a good idea to research and follow suggested tipping practices for the places you are visiting. If this is too difficult for you to follow you are basically insulting the a part of the local culture, and insulting a local culture is wrong.

The reason why NCL says its suggested is for marketing reasons. If they say you are required to pay it, then it becomes a part of the cost. However, if they say it is suggested (they really should use the word customary) they can market the price of a drink as X + an suggested gratuity automatically billed to your account.

Lastly, if you have ever visited the US and dined at any restaurant with a part of 6 or more, too late, you've already paid gratuity; and its more than just 15%.

It looks like you are from the UK.

Lastly, if you have ever visited the US and dined at any restaurant with a part of 6 or more, too late, you've already paid gratuity; and its more than just 15%.

Yes Blackburn is in England. I have been to America numerous times but never with more than 2 people. I have also never paid 15% in any restaurant