Passenger Nationality, how does it vary by region?

70KToM

So we've taken a cruise in the Caribbean before, which probably had 80% or more American or Canadian passengers. What could we expect from a Royal Caribbean cruise in Europe? Are most passengers European on those, or does RC tend to attract primarily American passengers regardless of destination? Anyone have any experience in both regions?

I've no real numbers to back up our experience, but it seems to me that the cruises out of San Juan have many more non-US guests than US mainland based cruises. We have met many guests from Canada and the UK on those cruises.

Don't know about today but I did a Med out of Barcelona a few years ago and it was probably 70% (I'm guessing that figure based on the people I met) Europeans. A lot were French but I met passengers from many European countries. It was great fun.

Don't know about today but I did a Med out of Barcelona a few years ago and it was probably 70% (I'm guessing that figure based on the people I met) Europeans. A lot were French but I met passengers from many European countries. It was great fun.

I did a 5 day Oasis Mediterranean cruise in September; when I did the zipline on the last day, I was told I was one of the few Americans they had seen. Don't know what actual numbers were however.

This varies greatly from sailing to sailing.

I tend to find that the shorter sailings in Europe tend to have more diverse nationalities.

I was on a 3 day Vision sailing once that had 2000 Norwegians and 400 Swedes.

I was on a 4 day MED from Barcelona on Liberty in May that had 400 Koreans, 700 Spanish, 500 Germans, 200 Swedes and 300 Norwegians along with about 400 Americans and about 30 additional nationalities.

The longer the sailing the higher the percentage of Americans, Canadians, Australians and UK nationals become in Europe. If the ship leaves Hamburg, of course the German numbers go way up.

When we sailed out of Barcelona, we were told it was 1/3 from the US, 1/3 from Spain and 1/3 from everywhere else. I assume those weren't meant to be exact, but just a general idea.

Interestingly, even though they may have been 1/3 of the ship, we rarely saw the Spanish passengers. They were on completely different schedules than the Americans. Americans typically got up early, stretched the most out of their port visits, tried to "see Europe". The Spanish almost all had late dining (there was an extra late setting to accomidate typical Spanish dining times) were in the night clubs, discos, etc.

Of the 1/3 from "other," the most notable group were the British. But there was a broad mix of Europeans, middle-Easterners, Chinese, etc.

So we've taken a cruise in the Caribbean before, which probably had 80% or more American or Canadian passengers. What could we expect from a Royal Caribbean cruise in Europe? Are most passengers European on those, or does RC tend to attract primarily American passengers regardless of destination? Anyone have any experience in both regions?
if sailing from the UK, expect a high proportion of us Brits. However, depending on itinerary/length of sailing, you will get a percentage of passengers from the US, mainland Europe (especially Dutch, German, French) and from the Mediterranean region too. In order words, a real mix of languages and cultures.

When we did a Eastern Med cruise (out of Civitavecchia) in 2013 on Navigator of the Seas, I remember North Americans were in the minority. They read out a list of nationalities and I was surprised to see South Africa made it but Australia didn't. There were a lot of Italians and Simona the CD handled everyone brilliantly.

When we did a Eastern Med cruise (out of Civitavecchia) in 2013 on Navigator of the Seas, I remember North Americans were in the minority. They read out a list of nationalities and I was surprised to see South Africa made it but Australia didn't..

Yeah, that's a bit surprising. Not the part about South Africans, who are usually around too, but that there weren't any Australians. There's usually a small number too, in Europe.

I'd say, in response to the OP's question, the dominant group is often people from that region e.g. South America will have more from the countries of SA, Europe more from Europe and Australia more from Australia.

I sat with CC members on Serenade Med cruise. One couple from UK and one from Scotland. The other 8 of us from USA.....loved the kilt on formal nights!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hi,

For information - you sat with two couples from the UK as Scotland is part of the United Kingdom (although some Scots would like that to be different even after the recent independence vote)

Pete

Aside from the obvious (like that Southampton will have a lot of Brits), it seems to be fairly random and likely based partly on fare specials for certain regions. We've been on Freedom 3 times out of PC, all around the same time of year, and the demographics were different every time. More American than anything was a common thread, but I know we had a ton of Australians on one and a ton of Japanese on another. My best guess is that the Australian and Japanese websites had some good specials that led to a lot of people booking.

Several years ago we did a cruise out of Colon, Panama down to Colombia and the ABC's. Due to the passenger demographic, the cruise was designated as a "Spanish immersion" cruise about 6 months out. Fortunately, DH and I both speak Spanish! The great majority of passengers were Mexican and South American. We had a blast!

Edited by lacruiser

We did a 7 day cruise around Spain and we were 2 of the 8 Americans on board. It was great fun finding the other 6. :)

Our other Med cruises have seen a big mix of nationalities. This last one had a really large congingent of Chinese, it was interesting to see they have as much trouble with a knife and fork as we do with the chop sticks. :D Thats one of the reasons I love cruising, learning about other cultures and meeting people from all over the world.

Don't forget, there are always Australians on board any cruise. We live on an island and have to get off frequently!

An island the size of mainland USA :D

But, I may be a bit behind on my history... don't you need permission from the warden to leave the island? :cool: (kidding... )