My Restful, Rejuvenating, Renovation of Gem Cruise 11/15/2014!

coka

How did I misss a coka review unitl now? Must be time to get my eyes checked:eek:. Entertaining as always and we only missed sailing together by 6 months;). We loved Captin Stefan, Jenny Lim and Carlos. Since I was the organizer for our meet & greet we were given VIP treatment including an invite to the VIP party in Haven. The IT Girl Mermain looks taller in person and unfortunately I didn't bring her a charm (hope that doesn't mean bad luck). I am sure we will be sailing on the Gem again as we loved her and I will definitely remember the charm.

• 2 weeks later...
Since when is Cunard the arbiter of what NCL does? Or any cruise-line for that matter?

I have no qualms with people speaking their native language. If I need to know what they're saying, there's nothing preventing me from learning it.

Disagree completely.

It's a common courtesy NOT to communicate in your native language if there are people around you who do not speak this language. As for the service crew it should be mandatory.

Edited by Aldeya

• 2 weeks later...
Hi; I too am a fan of the GEM. Thanks for your review.

So where is concierge Carlos during the day? Still in the former Star Bar/current Moderno?

Carlos would hang out in the area of the Cagney's/Moderno reception desk during much of Cagney's suite breakfast and lunch hours, but otherwise you had to call him on his portable phone. There wasn't a replacement for the former informal office that used to be set up in the Star Bar.

Sadly the Gem will never be the Same without Sinan....

Hopefully my Navy Medal Charm is still on her from 2011....

Retired from solving other People's Problems

CWO-4 US Army Retired/Medical

NSDQ!!!

Edited by DrFootball

I do not know where the concierge is located now that the renovation of star bar is complete. On our 11/15/14 cruise, concierge Carlos graciously checked in on us to see that we were having a great cruise...which we were!

Dr. Football, yes, your Navy medal still rests on the mermaid's tail...I rearranged it there myself as I remembered how special it is and that is where you put it.

Thanks everyone else for the kind words and responses! I hope your December is going well!::D

coka

Coka, thank you so much for your entertaining & informative review !! If not for you I would have for example never known of the mermaid which I now have to see. I've only done the Epic for 3 cruises and initially questioned whether I wanted to do a smaller ship but now I'm really excited. I loved the Epic but at times you did feel the loss of the connection to the sea.

• 2 months later...
Coka, when is your next sailing?

Hi Abbyar,

I just returned from Breakaway Feb. 22 sailing. Nothing booked for future. I think I will need some time to go by before sailing again.

coka

Hi Coka,

It was great reading another wonderful review of yours. We met on Holland America Eurodam in 2011. I wondered what happened to you and I'm sorry to read about the difficult times you had. So glad you had a restful and rejuvenating time.

Martha

Edited by NYteacher

[quote name='coka']I do not know where the concierge is located now that the renovation of star bar is complete. On our 11/15/14 cruise, concierge Carlos graciously checked in on us to see that we were having a great cruise...which we were!

Dr. Football, yes, your Navy medal still rests on the mermaid's tail...I rearranged it there myself as I remembered how special it is and that is where you put it.

Thanks everyone else for the kind words and responses! I hope your December is going well!::D

coka[/QUOTE]

Francesco, the fill-in concierge for Carlos, was still stationed between Moderno's (former Star Bar) and Cagney's at breakfast and lunch.