Live- Whisper Down the Amazon (4432)

fudge

Indeed some of the tributaries are too acidic to support mosquito life, however the little sods don't seem to pay much attention to the science and go ahead and bite anyway.

It is true that there is a greater density of mosquitos inland (so to speak) so the risk of bites is higher as you get further from the river.

As for yellow fever, I would get the innocculation as much for future travel where some countries will not let you enter if you have previously been to a YF endemic area such as the Amazon without vaccination.

Malaria is a real threat. It is such a terrible disease that anyone who visits and endemic area without appropriate antimalarial prophylaxis is, in my opinion, a fool. It's not big or clever to get Malaria.

Also of concern are dengue and chikungunya fevers - both transmitted by daytime biting mosquitos.

So...i would take the antimalarials, cover as much exposed skin as practical ashore and use plenty of DEET-containing insect repellant.

One bite from an infected mosquito is quite enough to seriously spoil the rest of your life!

Indeed some of the tributaries are too acidic to support mosquito life, however the little sods don't seem to pay much attention to the science and go ahead and bite anyway.

It is true that there is a greater density of mosquitos inland (so to speak) so the risk of bites is higher as you get further from the river.

As for yellow fever, I would get the innocculation as much for future travel where some countries will not let you enter if you have previously been to a YF endemic area such as the Amazon without vaccination.

Malaria is a real threat. It is such a terrible disease that anyone who visits and endemic area without appropriate antimalarial prophylaxis is, in my opinion, a fool. It's not big or clever to get Malaria.

Also of concern are dengue and chikungunya fevers - both transmitted by daytime biting mosquitos.

So...i would take the antimalarials, cover as much exposed skin as practical ashore and use plenty of DEET-containing insect repellant.

One bite from an infected mosquito is quite enough to seriously spoil the rest of your life!

Well said. Thank you.

Tothesunset is quite right to point out the serious side of cruising and taking the necessary medication and precautions especially on this cruise.

I did read on one thread that although the Yellow fever injection is mandatory, someone did write that they were never asked for the proof (certificate) when boarding, it was the first thing they asked for when we boarded.

SS do have the right to refuse boarding if you do not have the proof of inoculation.

I have to say that we were pleasantly surprised how few bugs there were both on the ship and on land, in fact there were some really nice moth like species which landed on board and a eight inch butterfly which flew into our suite, it took a look around and flew out again.

Here is the moth!

Whoa! That's one serious looking moth! Down in steerage we were spared such intrusions.

Oh. One last thing about the mosquito-spread diseases such as Dengue and Chikungunya - they are viral and there is no cure nor innoculation. Supportive treatment can ease the symptoms but you still stand a chance of permanent injury or death. DEET and long sleeves/trousers when ashore especially in the daytime as well as at night. You know it makes sense.

So true, the unfortunate lady on our Wind cruise in 2011 who went on safari in an area of South Africa where Malaria is prevalent, was initially unwell, recovered enough to board in Cape Town and made it only as far as Sao Tome. Her husband was medical (but not a doctor) and had decided that they did not need to take prophylaxis.

Edited by Silver Spectre

So true, the unfortunate lady on our Wind cruise in 2011 who went on safari in an area of South Africa where Malaria is prevalent, was initially unwell, recovered enough to board in Cape Town and made it only as far as Sao Tome. Her husband was medical (but not a doctor) and had decided that they did not need to take prophylaxis.

He obviously thought he was something of a wit. He was half right.

DEET and long sleeves/trousers when ashore especially in the daytime as well as at night. You know it makes sense.

Glad you emphasized this. On our Cloud Amazon cruise in November 2012, one of the gentlemen hosts went out walking in Manaus in shorts at mid day. He felt nothing during his walk, but by evening his legs were covered with bites.