Are specialty restaurants getting too costly? Poll.

How do you feel about specialty restaurant charges?  

306 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about specialty restaurant charges?

• I don't mind paying extra for food if the quality warrants it.
    • If I'm paying a cover charge already, I'm not going to pay extra for food, too.
    • Eliminate the service fee and just charge a'la carte for all menu items
    • Cover charges in cruise ship specialty restaurants are already too high to begin with.
    • Other (please post below).

And you still ignore that prices today are significantly less than the period you are referring to. As has been said before in this thread, if you can't handle the conditions of cruising today on the mass market lines, book cruises on the luxury lines which are more like the product available in the past. You will have all the things you complain you are missing, and pay prices to get them - just like you did 20 years ago.

You can't take advantage of bargain prices and still demand a 5-star product. :rolleyes:

Are you sure you intended your response to address me? I commented, I did not complain. I did not say I "can't handle the conditions". I don't see a complaint in my post. I see a statement of facts. I also don't see where I demand a 5-star product. Could you perhaps explain further? Thanks.

Are you sure you intended your response to address me? I commented, I did not complain. I did not say I "can't handle the conditions". I don't see a complaint in my post. I see a statement of facts. I also don't see where I demand a 5-star product. Could you perhaps explain further? Thanks.

Perhaps you should read your own post before pleading innocence. If you still can't see the complaints, no amount of explaining will make any difference.

I have been cruising since 1965. The food was 5* every night and included in the fare. Adjusted for inflation' date=' the fare was much more expensive. There was no choice in dining. It was either the main dining room three times a day or a simple room service menu. Entertainment was almost non-existent. Activities were dull. Cabins were small, poorly lit, and utilitarian.

Cruising is much better today. People have a dining choice. Those who are satisfied with simple food can opt for that and get a vacation that's a bargain. Those who want 5* dining can pay a little more and still get a vacation that's a bargain.[/quote']

The moderators should remove this post - it makes way too much sense! ;)

Edited by fortinweb

Among the many reasons we like Oceania, the specialty restaurants, which are exceptional, are free. The quality of the service and the port-intensive itineraries are higher on the list, but the no charge for the specialty restaurants is an item on the overall list.

Oceania also offers coffees and soft drinks with no extra charge and their libraries are VERY welll stocked.

When we started cruising in 1985 the food quality was the same as it is now in the restaurants you have to pay for on cruise ships! WHY? (I couldn't get over how much better the onion soup was vs. what you get in the MDR, there was meat on the lamb chops, etc.!)

We've always found the cost to be lower than similar dining at home, so consider it to be a bargain.

The $5 crepe restaurant on Celebrity in particular stands out. But $100+ Chef's Tables on several lines are also fond memories. :)

And you still ignore that prices today are significantly less than the period you are referring to. As has been said before in this thread, if you can't handle the conditions of cruising today on the mass market lines, book cruises on the luxury lines which are more like the product available in the past. You will have all the things you complain you are missing, and pay prices to get them - just like you did 20 years ago.

You can't take advantage of bargain prices and still demand a 5-star product. :rolleyes:

Well said.

We do not go to specialty restaurants on cruises. We enjoy the food in the MDR - and it's included with the cruise fare. Why pay extra? That extra expense can be used for a shore excursion or to purchase something to take home.

As long as people continue to clamor for rock bottom cruise fares and be content with macaroni and cheese, meatloaf, pot roast, and hot dogs in the MDR's (and yes, I've seen all of those on the adult menus in various ships over the last couple of years) nothing will change.

The only way cruise lines will offer better food in the MDR's is by market research indicating that people are taking their cruise dollars to other lines with higher fares and better food because they were unhappy with the food in previous cruises. Until a significant number of people do so, it will be status quo.

All cruise lines will continue to cater to the lowest common denominator on their respective ships, and that isn't going to change. Those who are unhappy should take their business elsewhere.

Been on 11 Cruises. Leaving on my 12th in 2 days and have 2 more booked.. Have never been to a Specialty Restaurant. And "Never will. When I pay a Average Price of $2.200.00 For my Room. + another $200.00 or so bar tab + excrucians.. Forget...Thats Enough.....

We just don't find the specialty restaurants on most ships to be very good, for the price. We found Chops to be barely OK with pretty bad service. Pinnacle Grill was hugely disappointing, not only with their menu choices, but also with the food prep, taste and variety. Service in there was also not up to par. Todd English was quite good, as was Murano on Celebrity. I think before long we're going to see the specialties going to ala carte and drop the flat fee. Once that happens, I think you'll see a decline in the numbers who use those restaurants.

Are you kidding? The referred-to post was a series of complaints. I'm not saying the complaints were unfounded, but it is worth paying attention to ones own comments so it won't be necessary to get defensive.

bolding mine

Believe me, there has been a decline in the food in the MDR. When I first started cruising, one formal night on a 7 day cruise offered an appetizer of 3 kinds of caviar. Real caviar. Even in 2001 there was caviar on the menu on one formal night. For me, dinner in the MDR was always about having to decide which of the several fabulous offerings I was going to order. Now, too frequently, it is a struggle to cobble together a meal from the few things that appeal.

As for the rest of your statement, I don't think it has anything to do with whether the pax are "elegant" (however you define that). I think the food budget has been cut severely, so the chefs are tasked with developing mass-appeal foods with limited resources.

We don't think the HAL up-charge Pinnacle Grill is particularly good (we eat better food at home), but with the introduction of caviar as an added-charge item on their Pinnacle Grill menu, we will be eating in the PG on our next cruise, simply so I can get my "caviar fix" :D

With all due respect, why not just buy caviar and have it at home?

A few years ago someone made a profound statement to me. It was something along the lines of, "Don't put off the small enjoyments in life simply because it's not a special occasion. They get lost in the shadows and can't be fully savored. Instead enjoy those special treats just because it's Tuesday or your favorite team win a regular season game or you mowed your lawn this morning. Enjoy those special things in life regularly and your life will be more enoyable."

I began taking that advice and no longer wait for a special event to open a bottle of Champagne, put some Porterhouse steaks on the grill, or make stuffed longer tails. I actually enjoy them more now that they aren't all wrapped up in pomp and circumstance. Something to consider. :)

We do not go to specialty restaurants on cruises. We enjoy the food in the MDR - and it's included with the cruise fare. Why pay extra? That extra expense can be used for a shore excursion or to purchase something to take home.

Why pay extra? Because we want to eat at the specialty restaurants.:) We don't worry about the extra cost.

We are fortunate that we can afford to pay extra and still take all of the shore excursions we want, and purchase what we want to take home.:)

So it is different strokes for different folks. If you don't want to pay extra, good for you.:)

I did not intend the post to be a direct reply to you. It was adding a comment to the thread. Maybe I don't know who to do this. The only option I could see was to click "Submit Reply."

Yes I totally agree, the cost of Special Restaurants on ships is getting too expensive. That is why most of the times now when walking past the restaurants on board you see no one in there. Look at the expense spent by Princess on the Diamond Princess for its Japanese makeover. Only the Japanese use the baths not the Westerners who make up 80% of the passengers.

Also look at the Sanctuary . . . Way too costly. BRING THE PRICES DOWN.

Also look at the Sanctuary . . . Way too costly. BRING THE PRICES DOWN.

Of course the pricing of extras such as specialty restaurants and the Sanctuary is a result of cruise lines listening to people who wanted the basic cost of cruising brought (or kept) down. If basic fares are kept low, additional revenue sources must be found. If those additional revenue sources dry up, the basic fares will have to go up ---- unless, of course, you feel the lines should be charitable and give away their services.

Funny thing is 15 or 20 years the food in the MDR was like the the specialty dining with much better quality........so it can be done.....I feel it's like they took it out of the MDR and now have specialty restaurants that we pay more for.....

Funny thing is 15 or 20 years ago the cruise fares for a standard inside cabin were the same as the fare for a suite today with much better quality.......so it can be done....I feel it's like many very frugal passengers want the better quality they paid far more for just a few years ago, but at a lower price today.......

Funny thing is 15 or 20 years ago the cruise fares for a standard inside cabin were the same as the fare for a suite today with much better quality.......so it can be done....I feel it's like many very frugal passengers want the better quality they paid far more for just a few years ago, but at a lower price today.......

It's the "I want caviar on a spam budget" crowd who have no clue how economics works. You can't have low prices and 5-star amenities at the same time. But, they can't (or refuse to) understand this simple fact of life.

And then they seek out the various social media outlets and complain loudly about how outraged they are that they can't have it both ways. :rolleyes:

Edited by SantaFeFan

In Ft Lauderdale The Westin Hotel has a 5* restaurant called Shulas ( named for the famous Miami Dolphin Coach Don Shula) An Oceanview room at the hotel costs $200 ( rack rate) and we spent $200 (including wine)for probably one of the best dinners I've ever had. Steaks START at $45 and that's a-la-carte. You get what you pay for. Stay at a hotel with Motel 6 prices and you have the Waffle House next door for eats. It takes a little more to go 1st Class and enjoy the experience.

It's the additional payment idea that bugs me. I haven't cruised a lot, but I like the idea of not spending additional money on top of my cruise fare. I don't mind paying more upfront for that either. I don't want to be mentally tallying my onboard expenses when I decide what to eat.

I also don't want to be making reservations to eat and see shows weeks before my cruise. That takes the experience from a relaxing one to one akin to Walt Disney World where I have know in advance where I'm going to be when. Next I'll need fast passes to do the rock wall or ropes course.

And to read discussions here, the included food appears to be mediocre at best on ships with lots of specialty dining.

It's the additional payment idea that bugs me. I haven't cruised a lot, but I like the idea of not spending additional money on top of my cruise fare. I don't mind paying more upfront for that either. I don't want to be mentally tallying my onboard expenses when I decide what to eat.

So don't. No one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to spend extra on anything. Even if you don't want to spend extra, you will be fully fed and housed in perfectly adequate form without spending a single dime. No one would go hungry by paying only the base fare.

I also don't want to be making reservations to eat and see shows weeks before my cruise. That takes the experience from a relaxing one to one akin to Walt Disney World where I have know in advance where I'm going to be when. Next I'll need fast passes to do the rock wall or ropes course. [/Quote]

I agree with you about reservations. Fortunately, most cruise lines don't require that. I have never had to make a reservation for a show on any of the cruises I have taken. I do, however, make reservations for the few times we go to a specialty restaurant. They are smaller venues and we want to be ensure that we dine when we want to. The MDR will NEVER require a reservation.

And to read discussions here, the included food appears to be mediocre at best on ships with lots of specialty dining.

You clearly aren't reading all the comments. Some lines a better than others with their MDR. Some are barely adequate. Others, however, are quite satisfactory. Disney and Celebrity come to mind as two cruise lines whose MDR experience is very good. On both lines there is no reason to dine at the specialties unless you want a different experience. And yet they have multiple specialty restaurants for you to enjoy AS AN OPTION.

While meals at specialty restaurants are OK, at least the ones we've been to, I'm not willing to pay out of pocket for them anymore. We continue to dine at specialty restaurants using OBC. If we don't have enough OBC, we don't go. The food just isn't all that spectacular.

Your disappointment in specialty restaurants is a direct result of the cruise line you cruise on the most. Carnival is not known for high quality meals in their specialties. So I can understand your concern. But cruise on Disney or Celebrity, to name two I am familiar with, and if you try their specialties you will quickly see that some cruise line's restaurants are quite good and worth the extra fare. Both have highly rated specialty restaurants as an option, while also maintaining good food quality in the MDR.

Edited by fortinweb

Princess's Italian restaurant was a disappointment. Their steak house was better, but it doesn't hold a candle to some in Vegas. We'll see what Royal is like.

We do want to try Celebrity, but have no desire to pay thousands for a 3 day cruise on Disney. Perhaps a Celebrity Panama Canal is in our future. Then we'll try the steakhouse if we have enough OBC.

What is the difference between spending OBC (which can be used like cash) and spending the cash? Unless you have somehow accumulated sufficient OBC to cover your service charges, drinks, excursions, and miscellaneous on-board expenditures (which is highly unlikely), the two are identical.