Just Rude!!

golfb4cruzing

We we're on the 11/8 sailing of the Ruby and after boarding wandered up to the Sanctuary to check on availability. We had boarded early in the process and there were only 3 or 4 folks in front of us. Then as we are all standing there, this heavily bedazzled elderly woman walked straight up to the worker at the checkin podium and made herself next in line. After a couple of shots across her bow, by the people who were next, she gave them a "peasant - please!!" look and the worker took care of her. And she was in no rush in picking her seat either. My wife saved the worker that day because it was my full intention to let him know, if he assisted Broomhilda before the rightfully standing folks, I was headed downstairs and formally complain. You can't fix entitled nitwits but I can cause problems for staff. I'm sure he felt bullied and in a no win situation with this crazy woman. This cruise was a very rude trip and all seniors which I was really surprised. Maybe I need to get out more. After that we walked away because I would have felt compelled to stalk that woman every day.

I really have no problem with people like that but to tell them the back of the line is back there. If they don't move, I simply step in front of them. When people reach in front of me I move forward moving their arm away from me. If you don't like something or the way you are treated, make a scene with the person who is being rude. Make sure you're in it for the long run. :D

I once saw a fist fight break out on a cruise due to cutting the line:eek:

It was our first cruise and disembarkation day, and in those days they didn't conduct orderly disembarktion as is done now and we also were significantly delayed disembarking and people were frantic that they would miss their planes

And this same couple who had been cutting all week tried to pull it again but this guy, Vinnie called him out and they went to fisticuffs :D

Needless to say, this happened on Carnival back in 1992

Needless to say? Why, because it happened on Carnival? Or because it was 1992? :confused:

We just got off the CROWN PRINCESS, and a woman went in the laundry room to get her clothes and found them on the floor. She asked the man standing there what had happened. He said, "I waited 7 minutes for you to get them" He threw them on the floor!!! :mad:

She went back to her cabin and told her husband about it and he went back to the laundry room and a fight broke out...not just yelling...a physical fight!! :eek:

We heard that they were put off the ship at the next port!!!

Edited by suzyed

Dear Iamcruzin,

With all due respect the capital of New York isn't 'rude' - it's Albany.

There are over 8 million people in NYC; clearly responses differ.

Just my personal experience, but I've found that more often than not, calling people names like "Yo Beatch" solves nothing. Being assertive definitely has it's place on certain occasions, but on non-life threatening events, it simply provokes and has the potential to escalate a minor event to an incident. I feel this applies wherever you go - be it on land or at sea, but that's only my personal opinion.:)

Happy Thanksgiving from a native New Yorker :)

Salacia

Great retort! I am a native NYer and I am aware that with over 8 million other NYers you are bound to be some rude and obnoxious people, just like any other place.

Edited by suzyed

Needless to say? Why, because it happened on Carnival? Or because it was 1992? :confused:

We just got off the CROWN PRINCESS, and a woman went in the laundry room to get her clothes and found them on the floor. She asked the man standing there what had happened. He said, "I waited 7 minutes for you to get them" He threw them on the floor!!! :mad:

She went back to her cabin and told her husband about it and he went back to the laundry room and a fight broke out...not just yelling...a physical fight!! :eek:

Now that is just plain sad. A laundry room should be nothing but good clean fun :D

Great retort! I am a native NYer and I am aware that with over 8 million other NYers you are bound to be some rude and obnoxious people, just like any other place.

I'm fond of the reply New Yorkers give in response to people who try to get in from of the line...as a recent example:

Last Wednesday, I was waiting on the line for a taxi outside of Grand Central Station. Two people tried to hail a cab from the back of the line. Those of us in the queue just watch in amazement. The taxi manager (I don't know the correct title, but he was employed by Grant Central and looked like an NFL Player/ Movie star) - Called out them with a loud stage voice "LADIES, WOULD YOU CARE TO JOIN THE REST OF US?"

I guess you had to be there (I didn't describe it well), but it was a New York moment. :)

No one got nasty, and most enjoyed the exchange.

Cheers,

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

It is not just Carnival. We have had it happen a lot on HAL and a few times on Celebrity. My personal favorite was an elderly lady (I am a senior myself) who cut in front of me at a breakfast omelet line. At the time I was the first in line and there were quite a few folks waiting patiently behind me. When the lady cut she turned to me and with a smile said, "it's Ok, I am old." I smiled right back and said, "the line for the old people is at the rear." She moved to the back and a few behind me clapped. The cook gave me a big smile as he asked for my order.

Hank

It is not just Carnival. We have had it happen a lot on HAL and a few times on Celebrity. My personal favorite was an elderly lady (I am a senior myself) who cut in front of me at a breakfast omelet line. At the time I was the first in line and there were quite a few folks waiting patiently behind me. When the lady cut she turned to me and with a smile said, "it's Ok, I am old." I smiled right back and said, "the line for the old people is at the rear." She moved to the back and a few behind me clapped. The cook gave me a big smile as he asked for my order.

Hank

That's pretty sad.

If you were from New York (the capital of rude) like we are you would have said, "Yo Beatch get to the back of the line"! My wife who commutes to Manhattan everyday has told many people off who tried to cut the bus line. She is especially bitchy when it's a cold day and she has been standing there for 15-20 minutes. Someone told her to shut up and boy was he sorry. You can't blame the staff. They are paid to be nice and are afraid of confrontation. You need to be assertive when someone tries to take advantage.

*LOL* Glad its not just my wife :)

She has a heart of gold , would do anything for anyone, go out of her way to help anyone .............just don't do something stupid and piss her off (and definatly if it is aimed at our kids.)

Then she goes right for the eyes and jugular. And If you think I am gonna grab the leash and try to reign her in, you are crazy *LOL*

That poor little a hole at the fast food restaurant is probably still in a fetal position looking over his shoulder for her *LOL*

Not trying to cause a ruckus here but here's something to consider ...

In Asia (and probably other places) standing in an orderly line is not the custom. Crowding around whatever is being accessed is the normal behavior.

Same rude behavior you will find in UK. Check out Black Friday sales in London. People pushing and cutting in line. Nearly causing a riot. :D. What's up with that?:eek:

Same rude behavior you will find in UK. Check out Black Friday sales in London. People pushing and cutting in line. Nearly causing a riot. :D. What's up with that?:eek:

We don't have to go all the way across the pond to see that kind of behavior. Sadly the Black Friday sales are no better here. :(

Which people were put off the ship? The guy who put the clothes on the floor or the husband who came in to fight for his wife? (Since my next cruise is in cabin across from the laundry room, maybe I can count on some unexpected entertainment! :))

I agree with all the posters that there are rude people on all cruises but one really has to hand it to the crew as o how they handle it. They certainly get my thanks.

Edited by frac

This may have been a cruise we were on. One of those 28-29 days ones. (since you cross the date line it makes counting days a bit confusing) Both couples were put off at the next port and if I recall it right it was near (or was) a port in the area of Bora Bora. We never knew doing your laundry could get so "heated".

Cruisin Oldies

I'd be ticked off too. There's no excuse for cutting in line.

But you might want to make sure the person actually is cutting in line. I've had events on two last cruises in which it probably appeared to some that I was cutting in line when in actual fact I had been there before anyone else.

#1) I had booked the cruise line transportation and when my plane arrived went to the appointed area. Nobody else was there and the carnival worker told me to go away and come back in 2 hours telling me that I was there too early to be transported. I went away for one hour and ate breakfast and then returned to the waiting area. By that time several other people had arrived to the point that they informed to me that I might not even get to go on the first bus leaving for the cruise ship due to others being in line before me and this was after I had already been there waiting longer than anybody else. I told him that the other man had told me to go away and come back later and that I had been the first one there. They did not believe me until I caught sight of the other carnival employee and went over and challenged him about his statement to me. They then finally allowed me to travel on the first bus leaving for the ship. I'm quite sure that some of the other people in the line thought that I was taking cuts.

#2) On a different cruise I arrived at the cruise port by taking a cab directly from my hotel for the cruise. I was the first to arrive to the Platinum lounge. The worker at the desk told me they were not ready to start checking people in yet. He said "just take a seat and we will call you when we are ready to start". After I sat for a long time I realized there was a long line over at the desk getting checked in and I had never been called. I had been there waiting for over an hour so yes I stepped to the front of that line and challenged the person there as to why I had not been called to check in when I had been the first to arrive. The person at that desk was not the same person and the other guy had failed to tell him that he had people sitting in the lounge waiting to get checked in so they were checking in all of the late arrivals first.

People assume that the person who's stepping in front of them in line is just being rude but in some instances the person had a right to be in front in that line. I don't consider myself, "entitled" but I do believe that arriving an hour before everyone else should earn you a place at the front of the line.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Edited by Jana60

...People assume that the person who's stepping in front of them in line is just being rude but in some instances the person had a right to be in front in that line. I don't consider myself, "entitled" but I do believe that arriving an hour before everyone else should earn you a place at the front of the line.

I have seen similar situations, all of which, like yours, would have been prevented if they just used the old-fashioned practice of taking a number when you arrived to determine order.

Edited by Ryndam2002

I have seen similar situations, all of which, like yours, would have been prevented if they just used the old-fashioned practice of taking a number when you arrived to determine order.

I wish they would have offered a number I could have taken. They did not and I trusted them that they would remember I was there first. I'm not that trusting anymore.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

I wish they would have offered a number I could have taken. They did not and I trusted them that they would remember I was there first. I'm not that trusting anymore.

That is too bad. It seems that delis, etc., around here that used to give out numbers no longer do so. I suppose it is considered too old-school these days, so someone will have to invent an app for that :).

If you were from New York (the capital of rude) like we are you would have said, "Yo Beatch get to the back of the line"! My wife who commutes to Manhattan everyday has told many people off who tried to cut the bus line. She is especially bitchy when it's a cold day and she has been standing there for 15-20 minutes. Someone told her to shut up and boy was he sorry. You can't blame the staff. They are paid to be nice and are afraid of confrontation. You need to be assertive when someone tries to take advantage.

Sounds like you are married to a handful! LOL. I would have raised my eyes at the entire interaction, including your wife. As a native NY'er, the MAJORITY of the times it only take an "excuse me, but the line is back there." to correct a situation. Besides, you never know whose packing or carrying a concealed weapon. Whoa......... And if I were truly bored and cold and in line too, I would relish the ensuing fight as early morning entertainment!!!!! YAY! But seriously, maybe she should tone it down for self preservation. LOL Cities attract a lot a nut cases.

Most of the time' date=' I would say, "excuse me, but the end of the line is right there." I think many of these people figured out that people won't call them out on their discourteous ways and it just encourages them more.

When I worked in retail and realized someone was pulling something like that, I would say that I would help them as soon as possible, and then take the next person.

One valid complaint of my daughter is that adults won't hesitate to cut in front of her and other kids. She's just barely 5 feet and at 17, she can pass for 12 or 14 easily. If she's been waiting in line, she deserves to be treated with courtesy just as another one else.[/quote']

Many times in my life I have been approached by a sales person who wants to help me and if there is a young person who was there first, I always say, "She was here first." It's just the right thing to do.

Not all of us New Yorkers would handle it that way! Just saying...!!!