Travellers Cheques??

priddiscats

We will be spending a few days in Santiago and Buenos Aires (pre cruise and post cruise). We haven't used Travellers Cheques for many years, but are considering them for an upcoming cruise holiday instead of carrying a lot of US$. Being Canadian we need to transact in US$ while travelling. I have a US$ bank account which I can't access while abroad, so I have to bring US funds with me. I can always use my bank card at an ATM and extract the local currency, subject to the bank's usurous conversion rates. Any advice on this?

I didn't think traveller's checks existed anymore :)

Actually I've found using my ATM and extracting local currency is usually more convenient. I find the bank fee is usually less or at most then same as an airport exchange terminal so no real loss. And this way I carry less around at one time.

I do usually carry some extra cash just in case ATM doesn't work or something. I don't bother with traveler checks anymore because there were 2 times people wouldn't accept them because the amount was too high (not enough change). Have had fewer issues with cash. And not that I recommend this but with cash you can always exchange at a sketchy place of you really need to for an emergency.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

We were on a cruise this month. In Recife the money exchange in the port was 2.4 to the US $, bank rate was 2.5. This seemed to be reasonable.

Used ATM's in Salvador and Rio- they were the 2.5 rate.

Also used an ATM in Iguazo Argentina, the ATM at the park was subject to a US $5.00 fee + my own bank fees.

Travelers checks are no longer in general use.

Take cash to Buenos Aires. The government rather than the market sets the official rate of exchange, currently about 8.5 pesos per dollar. There is a very active informal or Blue exchange rate based on the market, currently just over 13 pesos to one dollar. You will receive the official exchange rate for credit card transactions or for your traveler's checks, if you are able to find merchants who will accept them. Pay for your hotel and other purchases in cash using pesos. Leave excess cash in a safe in your room.

• 2 weeks later...
We will be spending a few days in Santiago and Buenos Aires (pre cruise and post cruise). We haven't used Travellers Cheques for many years, but are considering them for an upcoming cruise holiday instead of carrying a lot of US$. Being Canadian we need to transact in US$ while travelling. I have a US$ bank account which I can't access while abroad, so I have to bring US funds with me. I can always use my bank card at an ATM and extract the local currency, subject to the bank's usurous conversion rates. Any advice on this?

Usurious conversion rates? I've found that using an ATM to get local currency has always given me the 'best' rate. Certainly much better than any local exchange market. Now those rates and fees are what I call Usurious!

Be sure to use an ATM type card and not a Credit Card. The Credit Card is really a Cash Advance and those rates can be a bit unfavorable.

As for Traveller's Cheques, when we cruise I generally carry those, as the ships Front Desk will cash them with no issues or fees. Makes it a little safer than carrying a couple of thousand in US$ with us on the cruise. We often take private tours in ports and they generally take Cash Only, so we sometimes need quite a bit of Cash, as we can not always use the CC.

Edited by drowelf

• 1 month later...
Anyone know if Celebrity will cash Traveler's Checks? It seems that all the private tour operators in South America want to be paid with American dollars; that's a lot of cash to be carrying around!

Unless I'm mistaken, I think there is a limit to how much the ship will cash. When we did our 'round the horn trip, we need $2,500 or so in cash for our excursions, tours, etc so we had it held very close to our person! I know I sure was relieved when we unloaded into the safe in the stateroom!

So before you count on the ship cashing, find out if they will do enough.

Anyone know if Celebrity will cash Traveler's Checks? It seems that all the private tour operators in South America want to be paid with American dollars; that's a lot of cash to be carrying around!

Insist that they use Paypal or similar, or you take your business elsewhere. That usually concentrates the mind.

Make sure the dollars you take are not marked, torn or old. Also, they prefer $100 bills.

For Argentina, ask bellhops or cabdrivers where the Blue money exchanges are located and you can get the good rate on Pesos.

Take cash to Buenos Aires. The government rather than the market sets the official rate of exchange, currently about 8.5 pesos per dollar. There is a very active informal or Blue exchange rate based on the market, currently just over 13 pesos to one dollar. You will receive the official exchange rate for credit card transactions or for your traveler's checks, if you are able to find merchants who will accept them. Pay for your hotel and other purchases in cash using pesos. Leave excess cash in a safe in your room.

You recently wrote a post about the blue market exchange place in the Alvear hotel galleria mall...I lost the details and want to pass on to a friend....we used it a few weeks ago and we got 13.7 using 100 dollar bills...can you recap this info or point me to the forum where you gave the exact details...thanks

We were in Santiago post-cruise and exchanged travelers' checks (American Express) quite readily. Santiago is a large city and seemed to have quite a few available exchange centers. Not sure of the exchange rate. Hubby also cashes them onboard (Royal Caribbean). We are going again next year, he will probably carry checks again.