are there advantages to booking next cruise while on board

hsmcruise

You will get some divided opinions but the reality is that the advantage/disadvantage varies with cruise lines. On Celebrity you are generally able to book with a low deposit (if booked onboard) and there is usually a small on board credit. But the latter might not be so much of an advantage since the RCI family of lines does not generally allow "stacking" of OBCs. This means that if you get a $100 credit for one reason (like booking onboard) it might negate another OBC (such as a stockholder credit).

Some do find there are ways to get the best of both worlds. We did a future cruise booking for Celebrity because we wanted to take advantage of a promotion and lock-in a specific desirable cabin. We then immediately had the booking transferred to one of our favorite Cruise Agencies. The cruise agency then enhanced our booking by picking up the tab for gratuities (over $250). But we generally do not waste out time doing on-ship bookings since we can nearly always find much better deals from various cruise agencies. On some lines we have saved thousands of dollars (on a single booking) by using a specific cruise agency...versus what was available from the cruise line.

Hank

Thanks for your replies. I just was thinking that cyber Monday deals might be better than waiting for upcoming cruise. Smaller deposit isn't that significant as a promotion for me. Also, since the beverage package isn't very important to me, but on board credit and free gratuities would be great

Thanks for your replies. I just was thinking that cyber Monday deals might be better than waiting for upcoming cruise. Smaller deposit isn't that significant as a promotion for me. Also, since the beverage package isn't very important to me, but on board credit and free gratuities would be great

Don't forget that the beverage package isn't just about the booze. A few coffees, bottled water and pop can add up fast. On a port day with an excursion you could easily rack up $10-15 in coffee and water purchases between breakfast and grabbing when getting off/on the ship in port.

Any onboard booking incentives are able to be combined with anything your TA is willing to add on top of the booking. Currently, onboard bookings are offering all three options of 123 plus OBC. We're always booking onboard and transferring to maximize benefits.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Any onboard booking incentives are able to be combined with anything your TA is willing to add on top of the booking. Currently, onboard bookings are offering all three options of 123 plus OBC. We're always booking onboard and transferring to maximize benefits.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Do you get the TA to do the transfer or do you do it yourself? I understand there is a form you need to fill out.

No form to fill out, at least for us. We just notified our TA and she took it from there. While booking on board you can ask to have your TA be assigned to handle the trip. But, again, no form to fill out. And yes, in many cases the TA will add $ to your on-board credit, as an additional bonus, as a "thank you" for giving him/her the business.

No form to fill out, at least for us. We just notified our TA and she took it from there. While booking on board you can ask to have your TA be assigned to handle the trip. But, again, no form to fill out. And yes, in many cases the TA will add $ to your on-board credit, as an additional bonus, as a "thank you" for giving him/her the business.

Thank you for your answer.

We booked while onboard. We did not want to use the same travel agency that we used to book the current cruise as a result we had to fill out a form saying we were releasing the travel agency from the future booking. That might be what your were thinking about.

We made a booking but know we will have to change it to a later date. I am hoping we will be able to keep all of the perks we were offered...we shall see.

No form to fill out, at least for us. We just notified our TA and she took it from there. While booking on board you can ask to have your TA be assigned to handle the trip. But, again, no form to fill out...
If one books on-board the default is to assign the booking to whoever handled the booking of the cruise that you are on, so if it the current cruise was handled by a TA it will be automatically assigned to that TA UNLESS you request otherwise. If the future reservation is being held by the cruise line (either because your current cruise was held by the cruise line, or you requested the cruise line to hold it [perhaps so you could shop for a good TA OBC during the not longer than 60 days that you can have it moved]) then the passenger is supposed to put their signature on a Celebrity Cruises Booking Transfer Form. If Celebrity was holding your reservation and your TA "took it from there" and transferred it without you seeing a form, someone forged your signature or Celebrity is not following their own policies.

Thom

Hello from CA, YVR

Our travel agent has us fax this completed form (found on the =X= website) to transfer a booking from =X= to their agency.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/media/en_US/pdf/faq/2010_CelebrityBookingTransferForm.pdf

Betsy

Thanks Betsy. We usually book through that big on-line agency, so when we do an on-board booking, it goes straight to them. However, this time we did our first guarantee and the booking was less than 60 days to sailing day so we could not transfer it. So our new bookings will just go back to Celebrity unless we get the transfer form. We are just home, so when we get our feet on the ground we will do the transfer. You can't have too much OBC!!:D

If one books on-board the default is to assign the booking to whoever handled the booking of the cruise that you are on, so if it the current cruise was handled by a TA it will be automatically assigned to that TA UNLESS you request otherwise. If the future reservation is being held by the cruise line (either because your current cruise was held by the cruise line, or you requested the cruise line to hold it [perhaps so you could shop for a good TA OBC during the not longer than 60 days that you can have it moved]) then the passenger is supposed to put their signature on a Celebrity Cruises Booking Transfer Form. If Celebrity was holding your reservation and your TA "took it from there" and transferred it without you seeing a form, someone forged your signature or Celebrity is not following their own policies.

Thom

Thanks Thom. Haven't bumped into you for a while.

About two years ago, while on RCL we purchased two Next Cruise Certificates. One for RCL and one for X. We used the RCL one and got some OBC. We recently booked the Silhouette direct with Celebrity and was told that the Next Cruise Certificate (called Celebrity Passages) was not usable for this cruise. She could not tell me why on the phone.

So I wrote to Celebrity about my UNUSABLE certificate that I paid $100 for. Here is their reply...

Thank you for contacting Celebrity Cruises. I appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns.

We deeply regret your disappointments as it relates to the Royal Caribbean International Next Cruise Program and sincerely apologize for any miscommunication between yourselves and Raul Capello. Although Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, and Azamara Club Cruises are under the same parent company, we manage each line separately, including our financial systems. The respective programs of each line are designed to attract return guests in order to offer continued memorable cruise vacations.

Sincerely,

H.B. Berlow

Celebrity Cruises

That's it! No offer of credit, no reason stated why it can't be used.

(BTW: Raul was the sales person on the RCL ship who told us it's good on ANY cruise, ANY destination, ANY category, ANY Celebrity ship. His name was on the certificate when I sent Celebrity a copy of it.)

My advice: Don't ever buy a future cruise certificate on board. You may get stuck with a worthless piece of paper.

Florida Rich...

About two years ago, while on RCL we purchased two Next Cruise Certificates. One for RCL and one for X. We used the RCL one and got some OBC. We recently booked the Silhouette direct with Celebrity and was told that the Next Cruise Certificate (called Celebrity Passages) was not usable for this cruise. She could not tell me why on the phone.

So I wrote to Celebrity about my UNUSABLE certificate that I paid $100 for. Here is their reply...

Thank you for contacting Celebrity Cruises. I appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns.

We deeply regret your disappointments as it relates to the Royal Caribbean International Next Cruise Program and sincerely apologize for any miscommunication between yourselves and Raul Capello. Although Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, and Azamara Club Cruises are under the same parent company, we manage each line separately, including our financial systems. The respective programs of each line are designed to attract return guests in order to offer continued memorable cruise vacations.

Sincerely,

H.B. Berlow

Celebrity Cruises

That's it! No offer of credit, no reason stated why it can't be used.

(BTW: Raul was the sales person on the RCL ship who told us it's good on ANY cruise, ANY destination, ANY category, ANY Celebrity ship. His name was on the certificate when I sent Celebrity a copy of it.)

My advice: Don't ever buy a future cruise certificate on board. You may get stuck with a worthless piece of paper.

Florida Rich...

Is your certificate a Royal 'Next Cruise Certificate' or a Celebrity 'Open Passages'? They are two totally different things and can only be used on the respective line. So whichever certificate you have can be used to book a cruise on that line. It's not worthless, but cannot be used on all 3 - only the one it states on the certificate. The Future Cruise Advisor should have explained that to you onboard.

Edited by villauk

I wonder, if I book a cruise while being on a cruise - will I be able to book under US booking conditions (Caribbean cruise)? Would prefer this as to book under German booking conditions....

We have on several occasions, but it's much easier if you have the contact details of the US TA that you want the booking transferred to. You will have to complete a form stating you want to change your TA, otherwise they will automatically issue it to the TA you have booked with for the cruise you are currently on ;).

OK, looks like there is a bit of confusion and different information here.

Our experience is that if you book on board, the booking will automatically be placed with the agency that your current cruise is booked through UNLESS YOU SPECIFY differently. All we needed to do was tell the on board agent to leave the booking with Celebrity.

Once we returned home and wanted to transfer to TA there is in fact a form to be filled out and signed. Then it must be faxed or mailed (snail mail not email) to Celebrity. There is also a spot for your (passenger's) signature on the form. So, if an agent takes care of this for you I would guess they are in fact signing your name to the form. Of course with your permission, that is not such a big deal but it is a fact.

We have done this twice with an agent/agency that we have used several times and both times needed to fill out form and send in to Celebrity.

Just our experience but thought it should be clear to those that are contemplating this.

Jed