Food - Regent and Oceania

Travelcat2

Airlines have a "class system". Railways have a "class system". I fail to see anything wrong with it. For that matter Golf Clubs have one too... it is called a handicap!

And Regent also has a "class system". If you have one of the larger suites on a Regent ship your butler can get you into Prime 7 or Signatures more or less when you want. I have had personal experience of this on the Navigator. We tried - and failed - to get a second reservation for Prime 7 on a Caribbean cruise. (We were in a PH suite). Nothing available at any time remaining. Then our Trivia partners, who were in the Masters Suite, asked for a table for the 4 of us. We had dinner the same night in Prime 7. I appreciated their asking us, of course I did. Did I "resent" the "class system" Not one bit!

Definitely sitting comfortably on your bench, Hambagahle!

Uncertain one's reaction to a class system depends on country of origin. There certainly is a class system in the U.S. Centered around money, influence and who you know; pretty much like anywhere else.

Edited by OctoberKat

Definitely sitting comfortably on your bench, Hambagahle!

Uncertain one's reaction to a class system depends on country of origin. There certainly is a class system in the U.S. Centered around money, influence and who you know; pretty much like anywhere else.

The class system in the U.K. and other parts of Europe is considerably more pronounced than in the U.S. Your accent had better be proper or you will be looked down upon. Having been married to a Brit for 35 years, I could write a book about differences between life in the U.S. and U.K. While we are probably the closest allies in the world, we most like would never live up to their expectations - no matter how much money a person has. In the U.S., you can go to the most expensive restaurant in the country and be treated equally -- no matter if your accent is from Alabama, Boston, the Bronx, Michigan, Texas, California, etc. While you might get good service in London, you are automatically judged by your accent.

In any case, OctoberKat, hopefully your expectations are in line with the experience you will find on Regent. You will get the same excellent service by your butler and steward(ess) as everyone else. Your suite will be lovely. You may or may not be able to get extra dining reservations. The "problem" with Regent (I do not find this a problem) is that everyone on board thinks that they are special and they are treated that way. IMO, it is a good thing:)

Edited by Travelcat2

Yes - Oceania has "preferential" tendering... sounds weird that but you know what I mean! In an Oceania Suite (not one of the "big" suites like Vista etc) we were told by our butler just to go down to the tender area whenever we liked, show our card and we would be boarded. And we were. I didn't and I don't see anything wrong with that.

You are generalising though, Jackie, about class systems. I am Swiss. My country doesn't have "classes". There is more respect for individuals here than I have found anywhere else in the world (and I lived in the US for over 20 and am married to an American who is now also Swiss...) Maybe it is because we have four distinct linguistic and cultural regions and four national languages and we respect our differences... I don't know! Or maybe it is because we have never had a "royal" family having been a collection of independent republics since 1291...

In the US I disagree that all are treated equally. In restaurants if you give $20 (or more!) to a Maître d'Hôtel you jump the queue and get a good table. We don't do that because we don't like that system, but I have seen it happen time and time again. And I fail to see the difference between that and the Oceania way of treating guests who happen to have booked large suites.

We differ. Always have and likely always will!

I subscribe to the services you pay for model. If I am paying for something I expect to get my dollar's worth for it. I don't find it offensive if you pay for first class on an airline, a cruise ship, a golf club. Even Regent has it if you want to take a on of the upsell excursions with fewer people.

On Oceania if I pay for a Concierge or Penthouse or higher cabin, I would expect to have services for the level I have chosen. I live in a nice neighborhood but if my neighbor has a bigger house or yard it will cost him more for his upkeep than mine.

You can go out to dine and go to a fast food place and get a hamburger or you can go to Ruth's Chris for a steak. Both are beef but the cost of doing business is higher at Ruth's Chris. The meat is fresh and aged not frozen. The employees are trained chefs. Their cost of doing business is more than that of McD. It your choice.

One of the best meals I have ever had onboard a ship was on Princess at the Chef's Table. It was $75 per person. I could have eaten at the buffet or one of the main dining rooms but I paid for an upsell with exceptional service and received it. That's not a class system. It's free enterprise.

[quote Yes - Oceania has "preferential" tendering... sounds weird that but you know what I mean! In an Oceania Suite (not one of the "big" suites like Vista etc) we were told by our butler just to go down to the tender area whenever we liked, show our card and we would be boarded. And we were.

Imagine how those people feel who have been waiting for quite a while to board the tender and they have someone from a suite come along and "jump the queue". I would find that very frustrating, especially if it caused me to have to wait for the next tender. I don't know why I find it more annoying on a cruise ship then an airline but I do.

Even though on a ship like Oceania I would be more likely to have a suite, this is another reason I don't think the cruise line would be a good fit for my husband and I.

There were four lines for check-in clearly marked:

1. Oceania, Vista, Owners Suites

2. PH Suites

3. Concierge

4. Not sure what the last line said because I couldn't see the card -- only the longer line.

I saw that, too, in Miami. When we took our first Oceania cruise, it was out of NYC and they did not separate the 'classes'. The passengers in the Owner's Suite made a big fuss and threatened to never ever cruise Oceania again because they were not given priority access.

We are looking at a cruise in June, 2015 - on the Riviera!

One thing that we learned a few years ago is that after a cruise, we should not make a decision. Sometimes we feel as if we no longer want to cruise. After this cruise, we were fairly certain that we no longer wanted to cruise on Oceania. However, we have nothing booked between April and November, 2015. So, we checked out Regent, Silversea and Oceania. Regent had an itinerary that we are interested in but is too expensive. Silversea had nothing. Oceania, on the other hand had a special - included gratuities and internet and $400 OBC. Most importantly, there looks like there is availability in a Vista Suite. Note: 12 nights on the Regent itinerary we liked - in a Seven Seas Suite with 1 1/2 bathrooms is $37,998 including airfare. The 15 night Oceania cruise in a 1,500 square foot suite with 1 3/4 bathrooms is $28K plus a Business Class upgrade -- awaiting the cost. If we paid for the air ourselves on British Airways it would be about$6,700 (still less than Regent).

Just sent an email to our TA. Will post decision on this thread.

Edited by Travelcat2

Jackie - if you and your husband decide to come and visit my country it would be a huge pleasure for me to be your travel guide! We don't have a coast here (unless you count the lakes...) but we have mountains, vineyards and gorgeously beautiful historical cities. And very nice people.

As for as the UK class system goes I am afraid you (and Downton) are out of date. These days in the UK accent means nothing and when it does mean something there is almost a reverse prejudice against those who sound like a "toff". There are so many "self made men" (and women) there now that things have changed a lot... not to mention footballers! It certainly used to be the way you described when I was at University there. But not any more. And that, I think, is a very good thing.

Class system in the US is still there - and insidious because a lot of Americans deny its existence instead of trying to get rid of it. Just go to any private club and you will see it.

As for as the UK class system goes I am afraid you (and Downton) are out of date. These days in the UK accent means nothing and when it does mean something there is almost a reverse prejudice against those who sound like a "toff". There are so many "self made men" (and women) there now that things have changed a lot... not to mention footballers! It certainly used to be the way you described when I was at University there. But not any more. And that, I think, is a very good thing.

Yes you are right about the UK.It has changed a lot.We live in Cambridge,a beautiful city.You can go in a pub or restaurant,be dressed up in a ball gown or jeans and every one accepts you for who you are.

We have flown upper class transatlantic for our last two flights.We could do that with air miles.It was great.We are just ordinary folk- nurse and electrician.

Never judge a book....and all that....

One thing ( and there were more then one) I disliked with our recent Regent cruise,was the way the maître de (prime 7) looked us up and down (twice) when we went to asked for a table.Most uncomfortable.We were penthouse and even our butler asked on our behalf.

We met some lovely people on that trip and they could have been multi millionaires for all I know but we really enjoyed their company.

In fact we were invited,personally, to a master suite for cocktails and canapés.

TC2 ...we take people as they are and we never expect anyone to "live up to our expectations"..

Funny thing is...we had a big problem once on an Antarctic trip with Princess.We were apologised to and compensated more then adequately.We also had a problem one evening on Cunard in their dining room with a very offensive passenger on the next table.Again we were apologised to and compensated to.

Regent...problem...nothing....!

Gerry and janecambridge: Thank you so much for the updated information. I do "see" the U.K. through my DH's eyes and he has been in the U.S. for a very long time (even though he hasn't lost his accent ;) ). One thing I do see as a person born and raised in the U.S. is that when "we" (generalization) hear a British accent, we tend to think of the person as being more educated than we are -- probably because it appears that they speak the "Queen's English" so well. In any case, now I have to try to figure out why Gerry and my DH agree about the "class" system on Oceania.

Before I wander ever further off topic, I want to mention how much I enjoy British food -- not the upscale stuff -- the fish and chips, bangers and mash, etc. When they do fish and chips on either Regent or Oceania, although not as good as in England, they satisfy my taste buds. Speaking of food on the two cruise lines (had to get back on topic:-), I feel that chefs on both lines need some lessons on making Greek and Mexican food. Their version of it doesn't resemble anything we have tasted - anywhere. They do well with Indian food - except for naan but, considering that they do not have a tandoor, they do a decent job.

Again, it is good to hear that the prejudice that my DH was brought up with no longer exists. He is from London and made certain that he perfected his accent while he was in college so that he would sound like the educated man that he is instead of being from a lower middle class background (which he was - with a cockney "mum").

The class system in the U.K. and other parts of Europe is considerably more pronounced than in the U.S. Your accent had better be proper or you will be looked down upon. Having been married to a Brit for 35 years, I could write a book about differences between life in the U.S. and U.K. While we are probably the closest allies in the world, we most like would never live up to their expectations - no matter how much money a person has. In the U.S., you can go to the most expensive restaurant in the country and be treated equally -- no matter if your accent is from Alabama, Boston, the Bronx, Michigan, Texas, California, etc. While you might get good service in London, you are automatically judged by your accent.

In any case, OctoberKat, hopefully your expectations are in line with the experience you will find on Regent. You will get the same excellent service by your butler and steward(ess) as everyone else. Your suite will be lovely. You may or may not be able to get extra dining reservations. The "problem" with Regent (I do not find this a problem) is that everyone on board thinks that they are special and they are treated that way. IMO, it is a good thing:)

As I read this I kept shaking my head - this was true forty years ago, but not today - have you been to England lately? I go at least four times a year (I have family there) and the England of my childhood is not the England of today. And you are quite wrong to believe that there is no class system in the US - there is and it is quite widespread. I live near and shop at one of the most expensive and exclusive malls in the U.S. (as judged by sales per square foot) - how many times have I been completely ignored because I "do not look the part". If I go shopping right after work when I am wearing a Brooks Brothers or St. John's suit with all the "correct accessories", I will receive prompt attention. However, when shopping during the weekend, I (and many others) will be completely ignored, even though on all occasions it is the exact same credit cards in my wallet. The same is true for all stores on Fifth and Madison Avenues in NYC. Although I never dress like a slob, on weekends I enjoy casual dress, mostly a sweater and trousers. We all know the routine, if one wants to shop without being bothered, dress down, but if we want and need assistance, one had better dress the part. That is why I love shopping at Target and Marshall's - no one cares what I wear!!!

I have a friend who has a NYC accent that is so strong one would think she is playing a joke - she is not. She also happens to be a well respected hedge fund trader, yet when she walks into a Fifth Avenue store and starts to talk, sales people have been known to walk away - too bad for them, esp if they work on commission, because she loves to shop but because of her accent, many people assume she is unable to shop in their stores.

The one thing regarding class - it is true, in America, ANYONE can succeed if they want to, that is not true for other parts of the world. (My family is proof positive of that.

As they say, what is the difference between a janitor and a doctor - answer: one generation.

gnomie :)

As I read this I kept shaking my head - this was true forty years ago, but not today - have you been to England lately? I go at least four times a year (I have family there) and the England of my childhood is not the England of today. And you are quite wrong to believe that there is no class system in the US - there is and it is quite widespread. I live near and shop at one of the most expensive and exclusive malls in the U.S. (as judged by sales per square foot) - how many times have I been completely ignored because I "do not look the part". If I go shopping right after work when I am wearing a Brooks Brothers or St. John's suit with all the "correct accessories", I will receive prompt attention. However, when shopping during the weekend, I (and many others) will be completely ignored, even though on all occasions it is the exact same credit cards in my wallet. The same is true for all stores on Fifth and Madison Avenues in NYC. Although I never dress like a slob, on weekends I enjoy casual dress, mostly a sweater and trousers. We all know the routine, if one wants to shop without being bothered, dress down, but if we want and need assistance, one had better dress the part. That is why I love shopping at Target and Marshall's - no one cares what I wear!!!

I have a friend who has a NYC accent that is so strong one would think she is playing a joke - she is not. She also happens to be a well respected hedge fund trader, yet when she walks into a Fifth Avenue store and starts to talk, sales people have been known to walk away - too bad for them, esp if they work on commission, because she loves to shop but because of her accent, many people assume she is unable to shop in their stores.

Amen.

The one thing regarding class - it is true, in America, ANYONE can succeed if they want to, that is not true for other parts of the world. (My family is proof positive of that.

As they say, what is the difference between a janitor and a doctor - answer: one generation.

There is no right and wrong here. This is my experience in England as well as my DH's. We go to smaller villages in England -- not London. I believe what has been posted above is true but certainly not in all of the country. Everyone has different experiences.

In terms of snobby stores in the U.S., of course they exist. We used to walk around and look into stores on Rodeo Drive (Beverly Hills). Unlike New York, people in Los Angeles really dress down. Someone could go into the highest end store with purple hair and torn jeans and would generally be treated with respect. Obviously your experience is not the same as mine, however, your experiences are as real as mine.

The one thing I do agree about is that anyone can succeed in the United States. On the other hand, anyone can succeed in England as well (and many other countries -- not picking on anyone). Maybe we can get back on food now?

P.S. I would not know a Brooks Brothers or St. John's suit with all the correct accessories if I saw it. While this is an important thing for some people, it is not for everyone. And, I have always been treated with respect - no matter where I go and have not experienced being ignored.

One of the things I find interesting about this thread is that while all are willing to talk about a class system intellectually, and maybe approve or disapprove, none seem to complain when they are the beneficiary. Not to be hypocritical, I will always welcome a benefit coming my way; and do feel you should get more if you pay more.

As an example a loyalty program is nothing more than a class system for those who have spent more over time.

One of the things I find interesting about this thread is that while all are willing to talk about a class system intellectually, and maybe approve or disapprove, none seem to complain when they are the beneficiary. Not to be hypocritical, I will always welcome a benefit coming my way; and do feel you should get more if you pay more.

As an example a loyalty program is nothing more than a class system for those who have spent more over time.

Laughing because this is so spot on. Jim and I are paying $25k for our 10-day Regent cruise out of Miami in January, not counting airfare and hotel for three nights. I'm struggling valiantly not to be too miffed that there will be events onboard I can't attend because I'm a first-time Regent cruiser.

Edited by OctoberKat

There is one event -- the Seven Seas Society party. I cannot remember the last time I attended one.

There is a huge difference in a class system and in a loyalty program. Once upon a time (actually, until recently), passengers with 21 days or more received free internet. This was a huge incentive for many people to book an extra cruise or two to reach that level.

newlondon: I am a beneficiary of the special benefits and am complaining. The solution for us is to sail on Regent where our benefits are based on our loyalty -- not how much we pay for a suite.

newlondon: I am a beneficiary of the special benefits and am complaining. The solution for us is to sail on Regent where our benefits are based on our loyalty -- not how much we pay for a suite.

We're wandering off-topic, nevertheless with regard to loyalty programs, don't blink. You might just open eyes to a new world in which dollars spent are rewarded above frequency. The major U.S. airlines have moved over to this model (amidst much hair-tearing and lamentation from mileage addicts).

Although very quiet and not pronounced, there is indeed a class system on the Regent ships. Have you ever noticed that rarely is every table in either Prime 7 or Signatures occupied? Tables are kept open in the event that either a titanium member or the occupants of one of the higher suites wants a last minute reservation. I know that they stagger the seating so as not to be overwhelmed, but on our last cruise we befriended a couple who were occupying the Master suite and while others were told there were no reservations to be had in Signatures or P7, this couple had absolutely no problem obtaining a reservation for any evening in either restaurant. In fact, I think they mentioned that they only ate in CP about three times, the remaining evenings were in one of the specialty restaurants. They travel with Regent often and always stay in the Master suite.

It only makes sense - these are the people who are paying much more than the average passenger and should enjoy special perks - nothing wrong with that, you get what you pay for.

Some people may not believe there is a class system because they are getting VIP treatment all the time - but for the rest of us, yes, there is a class system, as it should be when playing the game of capitalism.

I subscribe to the services you pay for model. If I am paying for something I expect to get my dollar's worth for it. I don't find it offensive if you pay for first class on an airline, a cruise ship, a golf club. Even Regent has it if you want to take a on of the upsell excursions with fewer people.

One of the best meals I have ever had on board a ship was on Princess at the Chef's Table. It was $75 per person. I could have eaten at the buffet or one of the main dining rooms but I paid for an up-sell with exceptional service and received it. That's not a class system. It's free enterprise.

I agree with you Chatkat the Chef's Table was exceptional. It was one of the best dining experiences we have had on board ship. I Also agree with you on Ruth's Chris, they are (IMHO) the best franchised restaurants my wife and I have dined. She was raised in the Midwest and we lived in the DC area and she would only eat, on special occasions (i.e. the sun came up) at Ruth's Chris.

This will be our first cruise with Regent and we are looking forward to the experience.

We're wandering off-topic, nevertheless with regard to loyalty programs, don't blink. You might just open eyes to a new world in which dollars spent are rewarded above frequency. The major U.S. airlines have moved over to this model (amidst much hair-tearing and lamentation from mileage addicts).

You are definitely correct about airlines. They continue to do whatever they want to do to make more $$$ as there is nothing their customers can do about it. They could change airlines but that doesn't benefit them either.

As you know, airline fares change minute by minute - especially when you watch them on sites like Yapta, Expedia, Priceline, etc. In terms of Regent, their fares rarely go down and often go up. Sometimes you can be booked on a cruise and receive a great offer to extend your cruise to one that is not selling as well. But, in general, there is little fluctuation in fares. While I do see some copycat policies on the different luxury lines, there has yet to be a policy that follows anything that airlines do (at least not to my knowledge). Regent depends heavily on repeat customers. Hopefully NCL will not do anything to change their very successful loyalty program.

You are definitely correct about airlines. They continue to do whatever they want to do to make more $$$ as there is nothing their customers can do about it. They could change airlines but that doesn't benefit them either.

As you know, airline fares change minute by minute - especially when you watch them on sites like Yapta, Expedia, Priceline, etc. In terms of Regent, their fares rarely go down and often go up. Sometimes you can be booked on a cruise and receive a great offer to extend your cruise to one that is not selling as well. But, in general, there is little fluctuation in fares. While I do see some copycat policies on the different luxury lines, there has yet to be a policy that follows anything that airlines do (at least not to my knowledge). Regent depends heavily on repeat customers. Hopefully NCL will not do anything to change their very successful loyalty program.

If you look at the majority of sailings for next summer, most are not selling very well so I would be surprised to see any price increases. In recent times the only time Regent raises any fares is when a ship is already or almost sold out and those are quite rare right now. I believe there are now more sales going on, with the reduced business class air, reduced deposits, increased OBC, etc. When we were looking at 2015 availability earlier this month, I was shocked to see how much availability there is for next summer - I expect any increases after the New Year to be minimal, if any. Usually at this time it would be slim pickings for prime summer travel season but not so right now. In fact, we are not booking anything for the summer because we believe after the final payments are due, the sales and specials will be quite generous.

Tables in P7 and Signatures have staggered reservations. Thus, at 6:30 p.m. the restaurant is fairly empty but by 8:00 p.m. it is generally full. They are not saving tables for VIP's.

I was looking at sailings in the spring of '15 and found the prices very high for the itineraries and decided to look at Oceania. We can do 15 nights in the same 1500 ft. suite (Rome to Rome - stops in Israel, Egypt, etc.) for $5K less than a 12 night cruise in a Seven Seas Suite on Regent - Copenhagen to Rome. It will be interesting to see how Regent fills these empty suites.

My earlier post regarding the Oceania cruise in a Vista Suite vs. a Regent cruise in a Seven Seas Suite was not as it appeared. Just heard from my TA. We understood that the $28K (approx.) fare for two included internet (for one person) and gratuities. We also understood that we would have to pay $60/day/person for the alcohol package, for the pre-cruise hotel and for transportation to and from the ship. What we didn't count on was the cost to upgrade to Business Class air.

I should have learned my lesson about this before but apparently did not. If we were to book roundtrip airfare today -- Business Class on British Airways, the cost for both of us would be $6,701. One might assume that Oceania would take the cost of the Business Class flight and deduct the "included Coach airfare". This is where they lost me. The cost to upgrade to Business Class is $7,600 (for both of us). This takes away any savings that I thought we would have.

Next step........ more research on Regent and also research on Turtle Island, Fiji.

P.S. Just wanted to mention that we have been in a Master Suite, are Platinum Seven Seas Society members and still have had difficult, upon occasion, getting P7 or Signatures reservations. We have had easier access to specialty restaurants on Oceania than Regent which I attribute to the class system.

Edited by Travelcat2

My earlier post regarding the Oceania cruise in a Vista Suite vs. a Regent cruise in a Seven Seas Suite was not as it appeared. Just heard from my TA. We understood that the $28K (approx.) fare for two included internet (for one person) and gratuities. We also understood that we would have to pay $60/day/person for the alcohol package, for the pre-cruise hotel and for transportation to and from the ship. What we didn't count on was the cost to upgrade to Business Class air.

I should have learned my lesson about this before but apparently did not. If we were to book roundtrip airfare today -- Business Class on British Airways, the cost for both of us would be $6,701. One might assume that Oceania would take the cost of the Business Class flight and deduct the "included Coach airfare". This is where they lost me. The cost to upgrade to Business Class is $7,600 (for both of us). This takes away any savings that I thought we would have.

Next step........ more research on Regent and also research on Turtle Island, Fiji.

P.S. Just wanted to mention that we have been in a Master Suite, are Platinum Seven Seas Society members and still have had difficult, upon occasion, getting P7 or Signatures reservations. We have had easier access to specialty restaurants on Oceania than Regent which I attribute to the class system.

Sorry for your troubles.