Food - Regent and Oceania

Travelcat2

Greetings from the Riviera. I did a comparison of Oceania and Regent last year. This year, with the assistance of computerworks (thank you), we will post food - lots and lots of food. It has been said by some that the food on Oceania is better than Regent? Is it? Well, we you know, food is subjective. I will give my opinions and hope that computerworks and any others who are familiar with the food on both cruise lines will give their opinions as well.

If anyone has Regent food photos, it would add to experience of this treat immensely.

Since losing emails is to common on board a ship, I will bring you up to date after posting this part.

I know there is a "to" in the last paragraph that doesn't belong. Since the internet is extremely slow, I didn't want to edit.

A few words about getting here. In the past we have avoided U.S. based airlines as we felt that the service and food were not as good as some foreign carriers. I must say that the flights from Vancouver to Dallas and onward to Miami were very good. The service equaled that of foreign carriers (note: we were in Bus. Class). The food was good - not excellent but fine. The seats from Vancouver to Dallas were typical First Class seats for flights across the country. We flew a 767 to Miami. They have pods that go angle/flat. It was fine for the 2 hour flight but we are not fond of these type of seats for long journeys. I would not mind seats that do go flat if the footrest were higher.

In any case, we arrived here close to on time and were picked up by Super Shuttle (note: we arrived Thanksgiving evening at 10:30 pm. -- the airport was empty and the cost to the hotel was only $25 plus tip).

On to next post.

Many Regent passengers have the American Express "branded" Platinum card which enables us to get a $300 OBC on Regent and Oceania in addition to other benefits. Amex has opened a Centurion Lounge in a few cities - Dallas is one of them (Las Vegas is another and one will open in Miami in January -- do not recall which other cities have them). The one in Dallas in stunning -- 9,000 sq. ft. with great food, a bar, complimentary 15 minute massage or facial and a lovely area to just relax. I would select the Centurion Lounge over most airline lounges in the U.S.

We stayed at the Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay Hotel. We paid a bit extra for a lovely view of the marina and the area where many cruise ships docks (note: could not see the Riviera as they dock in a special area). The rooms are narrow but not bad. Next door to the Marriott is the Grand Hilton Doubletree where they have much better prices for food. We went to Happy Hour at "Casablanca" - a beautiful lounge/restaurant with great views. Drinks were half price -- wonderful appetizers - seafood, flatbread wings, etc. for a very good price. We had breakfast at a bakery there -- a bagel and cream cheese was only $3.00 -- eggs, bacon and toast I the $4.99 range.

Around the corner from the hotel is the Miami tram (free) that can take you to South Beach, "Bayside" (cute little shopping area), etc. Across the street is the "Peoplemover" that also gets you around town (also no cost). I have a story about getting on the wrong tram -- will share later. It was quite a lesson for us.

I am sharing this information for Regent passengers that book their own hotels and transportation. It is a great area to be in.

I'm going to email computerworks. When he has time I hope he can post a few photos of the ship and a regular suite. As we dine in different restaurants, I will send him photos of the food and he will probably have a photo of the restaurant. This thread would not be possible without his help.

Tonight we dine in Jacques -- the Jacques Pepin restaurant -- our favorite (despite the fact that we don't love French food).

First I want to say that I am experiencing the same issue with Cruise Critic that others mentioned from Regent ships. Internet connection is fine with email (except in our suite with my Kindle) but is very slow on CC. I have several photos of dinner at Jacques -- glad to see that the roll came through okay. My pictures on the Kindle so I will sign off here and try again before going to bed (early but it has been a long day),

Service and food both excellent. Our server, Vincent (from Paris) is wonderful -- great sense of humor and has only been with Oceania 2 1/2 months. Definitely a keeper. Coffee in Jacques was very strong but the flavor wasn't to my tastes (although I no longer drink much coffee, I did for many years and do like rich, strong coffee -- this seemed to lack the 'richness' factor).

The Tyler Florence Robert Mondavi Cabernet was very good. It sells for about $13.50/glass (we have the "package")

Note for all of my posts: Unless the internet gets faster, I will not be correcting errors - my apologies in advance.

Travelcat, my sister and I disembarked Riviera in October and had Vincent three times, he is charming. We loved Jacques. I am interested in how you like the Vista suite. We are wait listed for an Oceania suite and booked a Vista suite this spring. We were very happy with our Oceania suite and disappointed not being able to book it. I look forward to you live report. Thanks, Sue

I keep losing the connection so I will answer question about Vista Suite and post more later. Suite is gorgeous (photos to come). We are on deck 8 forward (as forward as you can get) and the ship shudder/vibration is stronger than the Voyager aft. Doesn't bother us but it could bother some people. More later.

First I want to say that I am experiencing the same issue with Cruise Critic that others mentioned from Regent ships. Internet connection is fine with email (except in our suite with my Kindle) but is very slow on CC.

We've experienced the same thing...on both Regent and Oceania ships. We would have no trouble opening websites such as CNN or weather.com, but usually would find it impossible to get on CruiseCritic... often for days at a time. I have no idea why this is the case.

Trying to post from a different location! There is a design feature on the Riviera that I hope is used on the Explorer. When sitting at some tables on Regent, someone is facing a wall (usually me because I like to give my DH the view). In Jacques, I was facing a mirrored wall which gave me the same view that he had. Really makes a difference.

The theater on the Riviera leaves much to be desired. Old movie theater style seats - hard and uncomfortable. We were in there for muster (which took 1/2 the time as on Regent).

This morning's Meet and Greet may have 75 people. Think I prefer the small groups on Regent (may stop by -- not sure -- I'm not into crowds but many people are).

Although we have been on board less than a day, I still feel that the Riviera would work well for Regent passengers that want to sail in the Caribbean (if you can get the deal with free internet and tips). It is a good alternative to the Navigator -- just to try something different. I predicted that this cruise would have an average age of 80 and am wrong. Mostly people in their 50's and 60's - some younger - some older.

Going to either shower or go the the M&G (at the moment, a shower in the gorgeous suite sounds better:-)

Are we now reviewing Oceania on the Regent board:confused:

I for one enjoy Jackie's posts about their experience on other lines. Both on land and at sea. These boards are not private cruise clubs or forums. First of all they have many cruises on Regent and I believe that Jackie can make a fair comparison as I can on the Crystal board where they are welcomed.

If you don't want to read a post, just simply skip over it.

Jackie just enjoy your cruise and I hope it meets or exceeds your expectations. Please keep posting along your journey. We are off to Singapore in two weeks for our Asian holiday cruise.

Have a great time and happy holidays.

mjflowers - I am delighted that Jackie is taking the time to give us her impressions of Oceania, particularly related to food. As you can see from my "signature" I have mostly cruised on Regent. However I happen to believe that Oceania's food/presentation/appearance of restaurants etc is better than Regents and I value her comments and am very interested to read what she has to say. And why shouldn't she post on the Regent boards since she has a lot of experience of Regent cruises and can give us a good comparison...

Jackie - glad to know you are at sea and eating well! Look forward to more posts and more info etc as you can manage it! And I thoroughly agree with you about the theatre on Riviera. It is uncomfortable to sit in. Without a properly raked floor a short-ish person (me) doesn't see well. I much prefer the Constellation theatre, especially the feeling of space there which is totally lacking on Riviera.

Edited by Hambagahle

Hi Jackie and Dennis,

Just back from ODing on turkey at the kids house. Glad all is well with your Oceania cruise so far. Will continue to read as we're interested in the comparisons as well. Any bartenders/bars as good as Jan's on the Voyager? Any new cocktails? What's the champers bar pour? Thanks for taking the time to post.......far winds, following seas,

Linda and John

Hi Linda (and John). Haven't been to a bar yet (will go I 45 mins) but will report once we have ourselves established somewhere. Did have an excellent chocolate martini in the Amex Centurion Lounge in Dallas.

In terms of photos, we are off to a rough start. I sent several photos of food at Jacques last night and some suite photos today. They have not gone through. I erased the Jacques photos and will try to send more tonight. Not sure what is going on with them.

The cruise is nice -- the coffee is good -- the food is fair to great. Still have difficulty finding something we like in the Terrace Café. Had to walk around twice to find anything. My DH declared the first plate inedible. We both settled for burritos that they called tacos. I also had a raw salmon dish (I could live on sashimi).

I am so concerned about losing connections that I write often but little at a time.

FYI, the G.M.'s office is so hidden that even Reception has trouble finding it (unlike the Regent G.M.'s that have their door open). Classes such as yoga cost money (only $11 but still .. it is a matter of principle.

Tonight is Red Ginger. There should be interesting pictures from there. The challenge is getting them to computerworks.

Make sure to try the espresso bar, cooking class, 18-hole putting course, spa with large sauna and steam and heated tile chaise lounges, private thassalotherapy pool and area (if eligible), artist loft, and pool area. All are a cut or more above Regent's equivalent (where there is one).

Regent's basic suites are superior to the Riviera's, so we get a PH3. Otherwise, we have fallen in love with Riviera and Marina, but still sail any of Regent's ships based on itinerary. Loved the NYC to Montreal cruise this past October on Navigator.

Hi Linda (and John). Haven't been to a bar yet (will go I 45 mins) but will report once we have ourselves established somewhere. Did have an excellent chocolate martini in the Amex Centurion Lounge in Dallas.

Jacquie, you are KILLING me! You haven't been to a bar yet? That is the second thing I do whenever I get onboard. Consider yourself counciled. Loving your posts.

Z and TB

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Jacquie, you are KILLING me! You haven't been to a bar yet? That is the second thing I do whenever I get onboard. Consider yourself counciled. Loving your posts.

Z and TB

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As always, you are so funny:-) We didn't get onto the ship until 2:00 p.m. due to an inspection. We had a bottle of champagne in our suite which I drank (most of) while unpacking. Dinner was at 6:30 p.m. -- wine, wine and more wine. Still appreciate your councelling (can't spell that word).

Okay -- while computerworks and I continue to work out technical difficulties, I'll write about food.

The food in Jacques was wonderful - the service - even better. One little touch is their napkins (aka serviettes -- also misspelled). For women wearing dark colors,they give you a black napkin instead of a white one (lest the white rub off on you). Red Ginger automatically gives you a black one. Ending this before I lose it. Another post to follow.

We still struggle to find something we like in the Terrace Cafe (similar to La Veranda). We accept the fact that we will be served rather than serving ourselves (as if we have a choice). The "grill" looks amazing - especially at lunch when we see steak, shrimp, etc that look wonderful. If only they tasted as good as they look (note: we are very picky with meat). At lunch today there was a focus on Mexican food. To be honest, I was raised in Southern California and neither Regent or Oceania can make Mexican food (hope I didn't post this already). Some of what they served was not edible.

Red Ginger is our second favorite restaurant but we cannot compare it with Regent since Regent does not have an Asian Fusion Restaurant anymore (at least not until the Explorer debuts). You have a choice of chopsticks (nice touch) and are offered a variety of teas. The recommended tea is pear with some ginger. Great aroma. Wish Regent had interesting teas (although I am not a big tea drinker -- when it is as good as on Oceania, I drink it).

Service in Red Ginger is excellent. Regent actually serves Red Ginger's signature dish at least one per cruise -- Miso Glazed Sea Bass. IMO, it is prepared better on Oceania.

Tomorrow (another sea day), we have a cooking class (based on Red Ginger recipes) and a very special dinner at La Reserve (a restaurant which pairs wine and food -- is recognized by some big magazine -- maybe Food and Wine??? -- please forgive my ignorance). There is a cost to dine in La Reserve -- we dined there last year. This month they introduced a new menu. I will post the new menu and will take pictures of the courses -- even if I can't post the until I get to a computer much better than what is on Oceania.

One more post