Can you carry your own big luggage on?

susiesan

I will be sailing on the Emerald on Jan. 18, 2015 from Bayport/Houston. I know that there are frequent delays in embarking when the prior cruise has come in late. Upon getting to the pier, if it looks like there will be a delay, can I carry my big rolling duffel bag to my cabin myself? I don't want to be waiting until 8:00-9:00pm to get the luggage delivered to the cabin. I am in a suite so I will be able to board first, but that doesn't mean my luggage will be delivered first. I'd just as soon take it to the cabin myself. I don't trust the porters not to drop it in the ocean or let it sit out in the rain of the weather is bad. I have done this on every cruise I have taken in the past, over 35; I never let the porters take it and have it delivered to the cabin. I always just carry it myself.

I also always carry the big bag off when I disembark.

It has to fit through the X-ray machine. If it does, yes, if not, no.

I will be sailing on the Emerald on Jan. 18, 2015 from Bayport/Houston. I know that there are frequent delays in embarking when the prior cruise has come in late. Upon getting to the pier, if it looks like there will be a delay, can I carry my big rolling duffel bag to my cabin myself? I don't want to be waiting until 8:00-9:00pm to get the luggage delivered to the cabin. I am in a suite so I will be able to board first, but that doesn't mean my luggage will be delivered first. I'd just as soon take it to the cabin myself. I don't trust the porters not to drop it in the ocean or let it sit out in the rain of the weather is bad. I have done this on every cruise I have taken in the past, over 35; I never let the porters take it and have it delivered to the cabin. I always just carry it myself.

Varies according to port. The Princess ones are about the same size as the airport if they use those. If they use the ones provided by the port, no way to know.

How big are the X-ray machines? Same size as the ones at airports? Big bags will ft in those, but no one carries on large rolling duffels because airlines don't allow it. The bag is 26" long.

Ever since Princess started using printed luggage tags several years ago, luggage delivery has been vastly improved. The old concern of not getting luggage until late at night is mostly unfounded. Using my last 12 cruises as an example, the fastest was five minutes after boarding to the latest just after a 3:30pm muster.

While you may be able to drag on your big bag, keep in mind that everyone else will have just carry-ons not to mention big bags take up a lot of room in the elevator.

Edited by Pam in CA

big bags take up a lot of room in the elevator.

Don't you, also, have to hunt around to find an elevator available for the passengers?

Often it seems they are crew controlled to facilitate baggage delivery.

Of course the stairs are always an option. :rolleyes:

Don't you, also, have to hunt around to find an elevator available for the passengers?

On emerald, bags are delivered using crew/service elevators.

During embarcation, most forward and mid-ship elevators

are 'reserved' -- in manual mode, operated by an attendent,

where they go from deck 5/6 to upper decks, and then return

directly to 5/6 for another load.

We took on our large 28" bag to the security area by mistake but they let us take it on after it went thru the X-ray machine. You have to be able to lift it onto the conveyor belt.

We then took it to our cabin, which was ready, then went to the dining room (Da Vinci) for our embarkation lunch.

Was it a problem with the elevator? Not for us.

Often it seems they are crew controlled to facilitate baggage delivery.

Of course the stairs are always an option. :rolleyes:

The problem is usually trying to find one after you have dropped your stuff in your cabin. Many of the elevators are only for embarking passengers

What's the matter with you? It's a cruise. Let the people do what they are supposed to do. I've taken 7 Princess cruises and never had to wait to 8 or 9 o'clock for bags to be delivered to cabin. Chill man, you are way too overwound.

I'm a bit confused. You say you've brought on your own luggage on every cruise? So is this the same bag you're talking about, or are you now taking a bigger bag?

And have you talked with anyone who failed to get their luggage at some point?

Yes, if you can hoist your bag onto the conveyor bag and if it can go through the x-ray machine, you can bring it on yourself. But if you're doing so just because you want the bag immediately (and don't trust the porters), you may want to rethink this (unless you're talking about a short cruise and don't plan to bring much anyway). You can always put your valuables, medications, a bottle of sunscreen in a carry on. Most of the time, when passengers return from the muster drill, the checked-in luggage will be there in the cabin.

What's the matter with you? It's a cruise. Let the people do what they are supposed to do. I've taken 7 Princess cruises and never had to wait to 8 or 9 o'clock for bags to be delivered to cabin. Chill man, you are way too overwound.

I was advised by my friend, who travels internationally for business, to carry swimwear, and a change of casual clothes in your carry-on bag, and dress smartly for a business meeting so you have your outfit for the smart restaurant already with you. Also medications must be kept with you-I do this automatically, have had Dad mix his navy blue bag up with my black one at night and panic thinking I had no medication! He got a scolding-I had a complete set in the carry on bag and at home on the desk. I always have enough medical supplies, I now don't carry aspirin as I'm on a prescribed painkillers, but always have Band-Aids, and tissues!

Ever since Princess started using printed luggage tags several years ago, luggage delivery has been vastly improved. The old concern of not getting luggage until late at night is mostly unfounded. Using my last 12 cruises as an example, the fastest was five minutes after boarding to the latest just after a 3:30pm muster.

My concern was after reading this review of the Emerald:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2131734

I would only carry it to the cabin myself if there is some kind of delay in embarking. I have never sailed on one of these gigantic ships with 3000+ passengers before, and it seems like it would take hours and hours to get the luggage sorted out and sent to the correct cabin. If people are let on the ship late I don't see how the crew can distribute over 3000 pieces of luggage before the ship sails let alone before dinner. I have been on cruises on much smaller ships and have had to wait until 8:00 or 9:00pm to get the luggage.

What deck on the Emerald is used for embarking? Our cabin is on deck 8, so I may be able to use the stairs if it is only one or two flights.

Do people in suites get their luggage first? Or is it distributed in some sort of pattern, by deck and area of the ship.

Another concern, and I have seen this happen when boarding ships in Miami: if you don't tip the porters an amount THEY think is sufficient, they handle your bag very rough, put it on the very bottom of the luggage crate, or even leave it sit on the dock. Are we expected to tip the ports/luggage loaders in Houston? Or is this their highly paid union job?

Edited by susiesan

We cruise in suites and thus are early on. We always take our own bags on - both airline carry on and checked - for two reasons: (1) I have traveled a ton, domestically and internationally, and always like to keep my bags with me (the old 'better safe than sorry' mode) and (2) we get unpacked sooner and start our R&R sooner.

I would only carry it to the cabin myself if there is some kind of delay in embarking. I have never sailed on one of these gigantic ships with 3000+ passengers before, and it seems like it would take hours and hours to get the luggage sorted out and sent to the correct cabin. If people are let on the ship late I don't see how the crew can distribute over 3000 pieces of luggage before the ship sails let alone before dinner. I have been on cruises on much smaller ships and have had to wait until 8:00 or 9:00pm to get the luggage.

What deck on the Emerald is used for embarking? Our cabin is on deck 8, so I may be able to use the stairs if it is only one or two flights.

Do people in suites get their luggage first? Or is it distributed in some sort of pattern, by deck and area of the ship.

Another concern, and I have seen this happen when boarding ships in Miami: if you don't tip the porters an amount THEY think is sufficient, they handle your bag very rough, put it on the very bottom of the luggage crate, or even leave it sit on the dock. Are we expected to tip the ports/luggage loaders in Houston? Or is this their highly paid union job?

i dont think people in suites get their luggage first and it depends how it comes on the ship but as been said you should have your luggage by muster time

people who put too much stuff in the bags and makes it too heavy for the porters to handle so those bags might get tossed around a bit

The only time we`ve finished up with a damaged bag from numerous international flights was the transfer between cabin and dock in Singapore.

It wasn`t a large bag and definitely under 45lb so I wouldn`t think it was a weight problem

Edited by denny girl

I would love to take our bags on ourselves. We have cruised enough that we don't need to tour the ship after we get on and we have lunch at our hotel so we like to unpack as soon as possible and get the suitcases put away. Then it is time to relax. Sometimes they come right away and other times not until dinner time and once at 10pm. And we were in suites so your cabin makes no difference as to when they get delivered.

I hate the porters in Fll. Last time the porter left our bags in the road right where the cab driver set them and I started to walk away thinking that my wife tipped them but was rather upset when two of them stood in front of me and said "you did not tip us for your bags yet and they aren't moving until you do". I wanted to just pick them up and walk away. I guess my fear was that they wouldn't fit in the machine and then they would send me back to those porters. Would have loved to have taken a photo of them and posted it here or somewhere. Have no idea if there is someone you could report them to. We don't take very large suitcases and would love to split it in two small bags and a backpack and carry them on ourselves but that would mean extra baggage charges on our flights.

And yes, we have seen suitcases land in the water. That is why 15 years ago we started putting everything into jumbo ziplock bags. We had an airline once that left the bags on the tarmac during a bad lightening storm and when we got home found everything wet.

So, go for it and carry it on. The crew on the ship would probably love it if more of us did it.

In spite of some comments on another thread, I can't imagine too much luggage goes into the ocean. :)

I'm sure it doesn't happen super often, but my bag did get dropped into the Med when embarking in Barcelona a few years ago. They fished it out, were very apologetic, washed all my clothes, and paid for anything that was ruined. And it did make for a good dinner time conversation starter :)

What you will notice is that the baggage is sorted on to carts. Each cart goes to a specific staging area (in most cases by deck) and there are teams of employees working each deck. On most of the larger ships, the entire cart is raised to the appropriate deck and separated in one of the crew access areas, then delivered to or outside each cabin.

On some docks the porters just pile it onto carts and it is resorted on the ship. These are the ones that typically take longer for obvious reasons.

If you see the porters checking the tags and putting cases in specific positions you are probably ok.

And yes, when handling 6000+ suitcases, there is always the chance for a mishap. It's why personally I use watertight suitcases except for my garment bag (and I would for that but they never made one). The most common reason is a misloaded forklift or pallet.

I always line the top, bottom and sides with garbage bags that I then use as a laundry bag and to pack dirty clothes when re-packing. You are far more likely to have water damage if it's raining.

My bag falling into the water is way down on my list of things to worry about.

While you may be able to drag on your big bag, keep in mind that everyone else will have just carry-ons not to mention big bags take up a lot of room in the elevator.

Not on the Royal the last 2 cruises. Many people hadn't received their bags till the next day. It's been extremely slow for some reason.

On the Royal repo last month we arrived at the port early and were among the first to board. We went to our far aft balcony cabin to drop our carry ons and meet our room steward. We then left at 12:30 to meet friends for lunch in the MDR and all of our luggage was already outside the cabin door!

We thoroughly enjoyed our cruise and first ever balcony cabin. I do however, agree that the piazza was overused during the day with line dancing and other dance classes that made for a less peaceful reading/talking environment. I would rather these be held in Princess Live. Other than that, it was an A+ cruise in every respect.

That is odd. In NYC we had ours by 4:00 and we didn't arrive at the pier till 2 so were at the back of the pile.

Not on the Royal the last 2 cruises. Many people hadn't received their bags till the next day. It's been extremely slow for some reason.

On the Royal repo last month we arrived at the port early and were among the first to board. We went to our far aft balcony cabin to drop our carry ons and meet our room steward. We then left at 12:30 to meet friends for lunch in the MDR and all of our luggage was already outside the cabin door!

We thoroughly enjoyed our cruise and first ever balcony cabin. I do however, agree that the piazza was overused during the day with line dancing and other dance classes that made for a less peaceful reading/talking environment. I would rather these be held in Princess Live. Other than that, it was an A+ cruise in every respect.

The Royal has us driven us inside once again. If we even take anothe Royal cruise it will be an inside cabin for sure. The balcony is so extremely small it's a complete waste of money.

Thanks Princess for making us see that it's not worth the extra money so we can apply it towards another cruise- most likely on any other ship. :p