Some specialty dining questions (for a long trip)

jan-n-john

We have sailed on Celebrity once before (Reflection 7 nights), and will be on a b2b trans Pacific next Spring. Over 30 days on Solstice. We are in Aqua, so will be dining in Blu a lot, but enjoy dining as well in the specialty restaurants. I'm trying to decide whether to buy a package or just play it by ear.

I recall reading in the past that the specialty restaurants sometimes run short of guests and start to offer discounts. Is that still happening these days? If so, can anyone offer an opinion on whether it is more or less likely on a long trip with limited port days?

Is it still typical that aqua class guests get an opportunity for half-price dining on the first night?

If you buy a package, must you book your meals at that time or is it flexible? If flexible, must you use it until it's gone or, if you get a deal on a particular night, can you take the deal and "save" the package for other nights?

Thanks in advance for all help.

When we were on the Eclipse 2 years ago, we were offered the bogo offer for the Tuscan Grill and then we asked them if we could have the same offer again and they let us. I have not heard of it for Murano, but in my opinion I like Tuscan Grill better. I will be on the Eclipse again in Jan and planning on asking about it again!! We have not bought the packages before so I can't help you there. Kim

We have sailed on Celebrity once before (Reflection 7 nights), and will be on a b2b trans Pacific next Spring. Over 30 days on Solstice. We are in Aqua, so will be dining in Blu a lot, but enjoy dining as well in the specialty restaurants. I'm trying to decide whether to buy a package or just play it by ear.

I recall reading in the past that the specialty restaurants sometimes run short of guests and start to offer discounts. Is that still happening these days? If so, can anyone offer an opinion on whether it is more or less likely on a long trip with limited port days?

Is it still typical that aqua class guests get an opportunity for half-price dining on the first night?

If you buy a package, must you book your meals at that time or is it flexible? If flexible, must you use it until it's gone or, if you get a deal on a particular night, can you take the deal and "save" the package for other nights?

Thanks in advance for all help.

I was just on Reflection and purchased the Ultimate Dining Package.

This was a normal 7 night cruise but I can tell you I did not book

all my nights of dinner at once. I would check with the Maitr'd or

his staff about it after you board the ship. I didn't get any deals

with this package. Talk to them after you board the ship (since you

are sailing on a longer cruise).

We were on Reflection 2 weeks ago in an Aqua Suite. We were offered a BOGO in QSine on the first night. Not sure about the other restaurants. Look at the package though. It seems a good deal. But I suspect that you will be offered a BOGO on day one since you are in Blu and they seem to feel they are overcrowded on day one and make the offer to make more room in Blu.

We did a 29 day b2b transpacific on the Solstice in Aqua class in September and October. There was plenty of availability on the specialty restaurants. We got 50 percent off in Specialty restaurants on the first night of each cruise. The Maitre D's in each specialty restaurant were authorized to offer 30 percent off when they needed to fill thier restaurants. I asked the Hostess in Blu to see if she could get us a better deal and the head Specialty Maitre d' gave us a steeper discount.

The only risk to waiting to book onboard with discounts is that you may not get the specific nights that you want. It will also depend on how booked the restaurants are and how accommodating the staff wants to be.

We did tip the Blu Maitre D' and hostess at the end of the first cruise. We are a pretty low maintenance couple and they were happy to take care of us.

Edited by cruzzzinma
Clarity

We recently sailed on the Silhouette TA, "only" 15 nights. We'd looked into a 4-dinner specialty dining package before sailing, but Celebrity said we'd have to eat in Tuscan Grille on one of the first two nights, and since the trip was port-intensive to start, we decided not to buy a package.

The good news is that after we checked in at the dock, there was a specialty dining rep right on the pier selling packages; he told us we could book the first dinner for whenever we wanted to have it, which was great, since we were able to dine when we wanted to (on sea days). We also reserved the other three dinners, and were able make a change later in the cruise.

We definitely saved money off the quoted cover charge, although I know that on the port days, they were even more heavily discounting the specialty dining venues. And I suspect that depending on the day and the venue, we probably could have gotten a bit more off than what we'd paid, for that particular venue. But there's no guarantee of any of that on any particular sailing.

One factor that should be considered in deciding whether to buy a package is whether you want to eat at all of the dinner venues, as you'll be required to with the package. Including this TA, we've now eaten at Qsine three times, and decided we've had enough of the Qsine "shtick." YMMV. Tuscan Grille, otoh, was spectacular, and on a trip as long as yours, I can see dining there more than once.

Have a great trip!

I was just on Reflection and purchased the Ultimate Dining Package.

I didn't get any deals with this package. Talk to them after you board the ship (since you are sailing on a longer cruise).

Hi - not clear to me on your statement. If you paid the Ultimate-D 'going-rate' $29 p-day pp then you had the choice to eat frequently at Lawn club or Murano that are $40-45. Plus free Bistro-5 ($7) plus 1 free specialty lunch ($25). Seems like a deal. Happy Cruising

Hi - not clear to me on your statement. If you paid the Ultimate-D 'going-rate' $29 p-day pp then you had the choice to eat frequently at Lawn club or Murano that are $40-45. Plus free Bistro-5 ($7) plus 1 free specialty lunch ($25). Seems like a deal. Happy Cruising

Hi:)...sorry I wasn't clear. You are correct.......29.00 per day for

all the pay restaurants. I meant that the other deals would not

be offered....buy one, get one,...but that would not pertain to me

either since I sail solo;).....I realize the 29.00 per day is really good,

especially if you like the specialty restaurants.:)

Re-reading my first post....yes, sounds confusing...sorry!

And lunch at the Lawn Club was very good:)

Edited by Lois R