Scanner

jeep1

On Princess, the computers in the internet cafe are locked down tightly. You have no access to any storage. So I am pretty sure they would not have a scanner there. It is possible there is one at the Passenger Services Desk. I have put files from my laptop on a thumb drive and they printed them for me.

I think a call to Princess might help you here. Otherwise, portable document scanners run from $50 at Target to $100 at Staples. These are just examples.

Just do a quick search on "portable document scanner" and you'll get lots of results.

On a previous cruise a coupe we met were selling a house. Guest Services was able to fax the paperwork for them.

If you're using your own computer, you could bring your own 'wand' scanner. They're around $100.

Bought ours thru HSN? QVC? Also seen them on staples.com and Amazon.

If you have an iOS or Android device, there are scanner apps that work quite well. When I have occasion to scan a document when I'm away from home, I use Scanner Pro on my iPhone.

An app like PDFpen will allow you to open a document and paste your signature on the signature line. You can then email the executed document as an attachment.

Lew

My husband uses an ipad - email receives the document and he converts it using "PDF Converter" then edits it using "PDF expert" - he can mark it up with a stylus - you could add signatures. then he emails the marked up pdf back out.

No paper involved. No scanners or faxes. All on his ipad.

I have never seen a scanner in the internet cafe, but I have heard of Passenger Services being able to receive faxes in emergencies; never heard of them sending faxes.

My husband uses an ipad - email receives the document and he converts it using "PDF Converter" then edits it using "PDF expert" - he can mark it up with a stylus - you could add signatures. then he emails the marked up pdf back out.

No paper involved. No scanners or faxes. All on his ipad.

Unfortunately, if you are seeking to sign a legal document such as a contract, court document, etc., the above-mentioned method of signing does not constitute a legally recognized/legally enforceable signature (at least not in the U.S.)

However, there is a legally recognized method of electronically signing documents, but it requires purchasing a subscription or a license to use the service from a third party vendor. Two commonly known e-signature programs include DocuSign and e-Sign (which I believe is an Adobe product).

You should talk in advance with whomever will be asking for your signature and see if they will accept an "e-signature" and/or ask if maybe THEY have a contract with an e-signature vendor. The advantage of this method is that it can be done on a tablet, smartphone or computer (either your own or the ships' in the internet cafe); it does not require a scanner or fax machine.

Don't mean to make that sound complicated, but hoping to help alleviate some of your stress.

And, no, I do not work for an e-signature vendor; I just happen to deal with contracts and signing issues in my business.

Hope that helps.

Be prepared for some frustration at the very least. While on our Crown 28 day cruise, we received an offer on property that had been on the market with no interest for 6 months. Our agent emailed the documents which we had to first upload, then fill out (using Docusign), and return. Luckily we each had 500 free minutes, so were able to get it done, but it took hours, not minutes, and was very frustrating. Later in the cruise, we received preliminary escrow documents, but just gave up on them, as our internet connection was almost non-existent for several days. The scanner may be the least of your worries, so just be prepared and have a backup plan.

I have never seen a scanner in the internet cafe, but I have heard of Passenger Services being able to receive faxes in emergencies; never heard of them sending faxes.
Actually, using Lew's method would be legal in CA for a real estate transaction up until the final escrow document signing when every signature and initial must be notarized. I lived in MA for over 35 years and bought and sold real estate there. CA is very different. :) When I sold my rental property here last year, I was able to scan and send all signed documents until the final closing.

Actually, using Lew's method would be legal in CA for a real estate transaction up until the final escrow document signing when every signature and initial must be notarized. I lived in MA for over 35 years and bought and sold real estate there. CA is very different. :) When I sold my rental property here last year, I was able to scan and send all signed documents until the final closing.

Same in TX and WA. I used e-signatures with no printed paperwork or online markup both buying and selling up to the final witnessed and notarized copy at closing.

Edited by MarkSeattle

Same in TX and WA. I used e-signatures with no printed paperwork or online markup both buying and selling up to the final witnessed and notarized copy at closing.

I'm in NJ and all real estate documents (contracts, etc) other than those that have to be recorded (deed, etc.) can be signed electronically.

That being said, probably the easiest way to do it is give your attorney, or whomever you trust, a Power of Attorney, either specific to one thing or a general POA, to sign documents on your behalf. You can stipulate that anything he or she signs should be cleared with you first, and you can do this via email. I email things to clients all of the time and they give us permission to either sign them or direct us what to change before signing.

It's just another consideration.

Maureen

I recently had to fill out and return a form I received via email. I signed it electronically and emailed it back (I used the digital signature package on Adobe Reader) but the person at the other end hadn't seen an electronic signature before and was quite flummoxed by it. Fortunately, someone higher up in the organisation had more experience. If you are going to sign your document electronically, it might be a good idea to let the recipient know in advance that you'll be using this method.

If you're dealing with a lot of documents, and sensitive information, I wouldn't count on being able to do everything on the ship. Maybe plan to take care of this on land during one of your port days. I don't know where you're cruising to, but if you can find an internet café, copy shop, post office… I'm guessing this will be less hassle and faster and cheaper than the ship.