Travel Amsterdam to England via ferry or cruise

Wayfairers

There are no ferries from Amsterdam to the UK.

There is one from IJmuiden (about 25 kms west of Amsterdam) to Newcastle, up north in the UK

Or you can sail from Hook of Holland ( about 30 kms. west of Rotterdam) to Harwich.

The easiest (and often most economical) way is probably to take one of the many Easyjet planes.

Edited by Ine

In Hook of Holland, yes train to/from Amsterdam, sometimes with change of trains in Schiedam. From Harwich trains to London Liverpool street station.

The ferry from IJmuiden seems to have a shuttlebus from/to Amsterdam, I donot know about Newcastle.

But airline like easyjet has good offers if you book early. You might have to pay a small fee for luggage. Alle details on their website.

• 6 months later...
Hello.

You could also take the Eurostar train to London changing in Brussels as an alternative to sailing.

We have booked the train from Amsterdam to Brussels and the Eurostar train to London from Brussels. Thanks!

On our trip back to Amsterdam we have booked the ferry from Harwich to Hook of Holland, will spend a night in Rotterdam then train back to Amsterdam.

You were all very helpful and I appreciate the info!

We have booked the train from Amsterdam to Brussels and the Eurostar train to London from Brussels. Thanks!

On our trip back to Amsterdam we have booked the ferry from Harwich to Hook of Holland, will spend a night in Rotterdam then train back to Amsterdam.

You were all very helpful and I appreciate the info!

I know you have booked but I have only just seen this post and I am somewhat surprised you weren't told to check out the P&O Ferries website. You would have had several choices of crossing, including a very pleasant overnighter from Rotterdam to Hull.

Thanks for the info. I can keep them in mind for next time. We actually prefer to take the ferry during the day (one reason for the Harwich-Rotterdam route) after bad experiences with overnight ferries having paper think walls.

I know you have booked but I have only just seen this post and I am somewhat surprised you weren't told to check out the P&O Ferries website. You would have had several choices of crossing, including a very pleasant overnighter from Rotterdam to Hull.

I agree Rotterdam or zeebrugge to Hull is a great route as there are so many places to see in the north of England or you are half way to Scotland

• 5 months later...

We took the train from Amsterdam to London and it was great.

On the way back we took the world's largest ferry on Stena Line from Harwich to Hook of Holland then the train to Rotterdam. The ferry was amazing...like a cruise ship. And much cheaper than the train. Only issue we had is we couldn't find a place to buy the train ticket to Rotterdam me they aren't sold on the train. Our lucky day though the conductor took pity and didn't charge a fee for not having a ticket.

Most people we meet say they couldn't be gone from home that long - our longest trips are in our RV and extend up to 6 months. A short summary of our England/Wales portion of the trip is below. We didn't see much in Wales and stayed in the southern portion. Had a rental car for a month for this potion of our trip.

We left from London in a rental car after seeing part of the town.

Salisbury - Cathedral and Magna Carta

Bath - Roman Baths, Stonehenge

St David's, Wales - Ramsey Island boat trip, St David's Cathedral, cute town

Holyhead, Wales - not much in town, some hiking and pretty drives around town if weather cooperates. We stayed here before taking the ferry to Ireland.

Then we drove on through Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland before going back into northern England.

Cumbria, England - Hadrian's wall hike, see Roman Army Museum

Windermere - Boat tour to towns along the lake

York - York Dungeon (touristy, but ok) and cute town