Sail and Sign cards

camptalcott

Hello all,

As I've been reading and hanging out (waiting not so patiently for our first cruise. lol), I keep reading about a sail and sign card.

Could some one explain exactly what it is?

My family and I will be on RC Oasis of the seas on May 30, 2015 for the 7 day Eastern Caribbean.

I apologize if this is one of those questions I could google and find the info.

Do all cruises have them. My kids are 19 and 21 so they will probably kick the parents to the curb once or twice, do they get one also.

Not sure if my youngest can handle the "power" of a credit card. LOL.

Edited by camptalcott

EvERYone gets one. You use it to get on and off the ship. They use this method to account for everyone getting off and making sure they are back onboard.

you will use this card for all charges onboard.

you use this card to open your cabin door

your table assignment is on this card---- your cabin number is NOT

on Royal this card is called the SeaPass card

its the size of a credit card==

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8501/8429138618_2658ec4377_b.jpg

Edited by serene56

While on the ship, you use your sign and sail card for on board purchases, rather than cash. Typically, when you arrive at the port and check in, you'll be asked for a credit card so that an on board account can be opened for you. There are some who prefer to use cash to open their account, then keep track of it and keep it paid off while they cruise. There are some that use a debit card, but that can cause all sorts of problems. The cruise line will put a "hold" on the amount charged to your debit card until the ship's account is paid for out of your bank account. This can sometimes take several days after you've arrived back at home. Meanwhile, because of the "hold", any checks you've written might bounce because of insufficient funds. It's really not a good idea to use a debit card. A credit card or cash are your best bets.

Edited by beachbum53

When my kids were your kids' age, I made sure all gratuities went on my card, then I had the Kids set up their own account with either their own credit card or with cash.

When they were younger, I had a limit placed on their cards so they could still make some purchases. (Pictures, sodas, candy, gifts, etc. whatever they wanted to buy with their limited money)

Each card is tied to an on board account. At checkin, each person will be asked how they want to pay for any charges to this account. It can be done by credit card, debit card or cash. If you are using a credit or debit card, they will record the necessary info. If you are using cash they will require a deposit.

Things charged to this account will niclude autotips, beverages, shore excursions, purchases in gift shops among others.

For your family, you can use one credit card for all four accounts or let your children be responsible for the account. The latter choice may tend to discourage over use. :)

It's your room key...and like in a hotel, you can charge to your room (and on a ship, you MUST charge everything to your room)....you can put cash on the kid's cards, if you don't trust them to stick to a limit. You can check your balance daily on the TV, if you wish. You can pay for your charges via credit card, or cash. Debit cards are NOT recommended....if that's what you have, just take the cash from your account and use the cash. Debit cards incur "holds" that can last and last for days, affecting your available balances.