Leaving shop after first leg of grand voyage

Wayfairers

We are doing the first leg of the Voyage of the Vikings next year leaving the ship in Amsterdam. The ship is in port at Amsterdam 8a overnight until 6am the following day. We've never left a ship mid voyage. How does this work? When do we leave the ship? 6am after the ON?

Edited by Wayfairers

Yes, you will disembark the morning after the overnight. New passengers will be embarking that same day and have an overnight on board before the ship sails for the second part of the Voyage of the Vikings.

BTW, this isn't a Grand Voyage.

I didn't say I wanted to leave the ship early, but thanks for the interesting idea. We will only have a backpack and a small rolling suitcase each, always carry out luggage off the ship and will be getting a hotel in Amsterdam so luggage isn't an issue.

So, I'm guessing that a 6am sailing would mean we would have to be off the ship by 4 or 5am? But, if the people embarking in Amsterdam are spending the night on the boat I would think they would want to kick those of us disembarking off the ship upon arrival so they can get the rooms ready for the new passengers. Wouldn't that make sense??

I suppose you could leave earlier than others doing only 1 way. I'm sure special arrangements would have to be met. Your final bill and how about your luggage. The ship is not ready to remove luggage at an earlier time.

If, for whatever reason, a guest leaves a ship before others on the same sailing, it is so simple for steward to bring a rolling rack, load the luggage on and accompany guest to the gangway with it. Done all the time.

The ship does not sail at 6:00 AM, it sails at 5:00 PM. You get off, other passengers get on.

You are right. Now sure where I got 6am. Thanks! So we disembark just like finishing any other cruise, but after spending the night on board in port?

Edited by Wayfairers

If the cruise is sold in segments you may want to check when 1st segment ends ..that will tell you when they want you off ;)

Looks like your segment ends Aug 12th

next cruise starts Aug 12th

Edited by LHT28

The ship does not sail at 6:00 AM, it sails at 5:00 PM. You get off, other passengers get on.

Figured out where I got 6am....on the HAL website itinerary for this cruise. Where are you getting 5pm....I found that time on a third party site. Wonder which is correct?? I'll call HAL

Figured out where I got 6am....on the HAL website itinerary for this cruise. Where are you getting 5pm....I found that time on a third party site. Wonder which is correct?? I'll call HAL
Both. As whogo said, 5 p.m. is when the ship sails from Amsterdam for the second part of the Voyage of the Vikings. That time is easily found on the full cruise itinerary on the HAL site. Edited by Mary Ellen

We left the Amsterdam in Shanghai after the first leg of this year's Grand Asia. The ship arrived in Shanghai around 10 pm. We had to be off the next day even though the ship was in port another two days. That was the end of our segment. We had to be out of our cabin by 8:30 am - but could stay on the ship until later (we had an afternoon flight from Shanghai to Beijing and had booked an airport transfer with HAL which came for us at around 11 am).

It was all arranged very smoothly and comfortably except for the fact that we no longer had the use of our own cabin. We had a nice breakfast in the MDR and a nice, quiet Amsterdam morning on board before starting our three week China tour.

You need to check your itinerary on the HAL site to know what day they expect you to leave the ship (if you are booked already log in and check it on your personal itinerary page) - that will tell you when you need to be off the ship. If it says 6 am that does not mean 6 am if the ship is spending the night - it just means that is your last day - like it always shows 6 am for arrival in Florida at the end of a short cruise.

I would think that leaving a day earlier might involve some complications and need to be arranged in advance since you would have to clear local customs upon disembarkation as well as local immigration.

Edited by arzz

I called HAL, and as arzz said, it is normal disembarkation. We spend the night on the ship in port then the next morning at 6am the ship starts the normal disembarkation process. We will be able to leave the ship around 8-9am as any other disembarkation. Good news for us as this is exactly what we hoped would happen.

Edited by Wayfairers